Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Black Interior Panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Question Black Interior Panels

... Just wondering... if i wanted tto do all black interior panels would i have to paint them all myself, or did they manifacture black panels, could i buy them?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they manufactured black interior parts from the factory but it would be pricey to buy them all. I have wanted to change my neutral interior to black as well and its just cheaper to dye everything
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im actully buying all the black panels now, check out the parts deparment thread in General Cobalt and on the last few pages is me talking about the part numbers.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just finished painting 5 of mine so far, ive got 4 more for the back seats, the glove box, and the A-pillars and i'm done
im makin a thread about it soon

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSCN1671.jpg

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 03-01-2007 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 AM

How long did that take you Hunter? I've been thinking about doing that for some time, but I'm pretty short on cash and time these days but I'm sick and tired of the gray interior.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 AM

If I could just dye the cloth inserts, I'd be a lot happier. I haven't seen a how-to on that.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:20 AM

Interior for cheap

All U need, is some primer, paint, a GOOD clear coat, and sandpaper (optional if u dont like the rigidy leather look a like.) Its most time consuming because u want to take the panels out without breaking any of the metal clips that hold it in. Also, if u choose to sand them (makes it look better in my opinion) it can take a while because ur hand cramps up. U dont need alot of money to paint ur interior. Basically just do one thing at a time, because if u rush it, it just looks like ****. But start with the front pillars and then take out the center console, and then start the glove and just do it slow. If u take ur time and do around a good 2-5 hrs a day u could have everything done in about 2-3 weeks. But thats because if u sand it, then prime it, and then paint it. You should let the primer set for a couple hrs, then do about 2 coats of paint, and anywhere from 2-3 coats of clear coat. I started my interior when i first bought the car and I rushed most of it, and I stopped myself because it looked shitty. U can buy cheap primer and rather cheap paint, but make sure u get a really good clear coat of else it will just look like ****. Also, for the cloth on the doors, just go to a fabric place, buy what u want (kinda pricey) and figure out how u wanna put it on. I'm taking the cloth out and putting crabon wrap for mine. When I get the time, and I finish i'm gonna do a write-up on it. I'm going all out with airbrushing and tons of goodies. But if u need help, PM me and I'll guide u.

-ryan
Old 03-01-2007, 02:39 AM

You can't order the A-pillars or the the rear pillars in black. I asked Fr33k but he said there are none listed. I am currently painting my passenger A-pillar to match my Autometer dual pod driverside A-pillar. I might try the rear ones later. The headliner will have to wait till I have more time and money to dedicate to show.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
All U need, is some primer, paint, a GOOD clear coat, and sandpaper (optional if u dont like the rigidy leather look a like.) Its most time consuming because u want to take the panels out without breaking any of the metal clips that hold it in. Also, if u choose to sand them (makes it look better in my opinion) it can take a while because ur hand cramps up. U dont need alot of money to paint ur interior. Basically just do one thing at a time, because if u rush it, it just looks like ****. But start with the front pillars and then take out the center console, and then start the glove and just do it slow. If u take ur time and do around a good 2-5 hrs a day u could have everything done in about 2-3 weeks. But thats because if u sand it, then prime it, and then paint it. You should let the primer set for a couple hrs, then do about 2 coats of paint, and anywhere from 2-3 coats of clear coat. I started my interior when i first bought the car and I rushed most of it, and I stopped myself because it looked shitty. U can buy cheap primer and rather cheap paint, but make sure u get a really good clear coat of else it will just look like ****. Also, for the cloth on the doors, just go to a fabric place, buy what u want (kinda pricey) and figure out how u wanna put it on. I'm taking the cloth out and putting crabon wrap for mine. When I get the time, and I finish i'm gonna do a write-up on it. I'm going all out with airbrushing and tons of goodies. But if u need help, PM me and I'll guide u.

-ryan
Thanks a bunch, I think I'm gunna see how much it would cost first, to buy them. Most likely I'm going to paint them myself, I really just needed a starting point. I'll probaly do the pilars sometime this week and see how that turns out, and go form there.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver

-ryan
That's good advice. I'm still wondering how to do the cloth though. That's all I really want to do right now. I have the grey base interior and I want to leave most of it grey but have black inserts and some black accenting. Has anyone swapped out the cloth in the door?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Cobalt Driver, I was wondering if you had any pictures of what you have done so far.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Blur
That's good advice. I'm still wondering how to do the cloth though. That's all I really want to do right now. I have the grey base interior and I want to leave most of it grey but have black inserts and some black accenting. Has anyone swapped out the cloth in the door?
a lot of people have swapped em for colored suede...search for any threads with the word suede...lol
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 PM

so went by Pep Boys to get the black paint and the guy there asked what I was going to paint, since I had black vinyl paint he had guessed I was painting peices inside the car, and he said I should dye the peices instead of painting them, so has anyone dyed their vinyl peices and if so what type of dye should I use?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
i just finished painting 5 of mine so far, ive got 4 more for the back seats, the glove box, and the A-pillars and i'm done
im makin a thread about it soon

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/DSCN1671.jpg
Dam, looks real good man. Makes me wanna do mine. How hard is it to chip it or leave a mark, ya know getting in and out of the car ur feet might hit it.

later
Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 PM

How do you dye panels? And what would be the closest spray paint to match the black panels? I cant stand these neutral/tan pieces in my car
Old 03-01-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
How do you dye panels? And what would be the closest spray paint to match the black panels? I cant stand these neutral/tan pieces in my car
After I looked at the other black panel thread I went out and bought the black vinyl and fabric paint, it looked good tonight I'm doint the A pillars and I'll take pictures tomarrow when I put it back in the car.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Where did you pick that up? Advanced Auto parts or something? Does it match the black on the top dashboard?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Where did you pick that up? Advanced Auto parts or something? Does it match the black on the top dashboard?
I was going to get it a Pep Boys, but the guy talked me out of it, so befor i had to go work i stoped at Auto Zone. Its probably the best match your going to find. I just finished the a pillars, and I'll let you know in the morning how good it matches. I'm at work right now. I don't get off until 7:30 am
Old 03-01-2007, 11:26 PM

Alright thanks man, id apreciate it, i just painted my dash panels and now i need to paint the glovebox and the under the steering wheel black to match
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM

thats my next adventure, I thought about doing it to night, but i wanna know if anyone used primer or not on those peices
Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I was thinking about doing my door inserts white as well. Black pillars are one of the first things I want to do as well!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
I was thinking about doing my door inserts white as well. Black pillars are one of the first things I want to do as well!
I did my a pillars and they look great, the peice under the steering wheel and then the glove box are next, then moving to door panels and working my way back i have it all planned out
Old 03-02-2007, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
a lot of people have swapped em for colored suede...search for any threads with the word suede...lol
touche
Old 03-02-2007, 01:56 AM

what do you mean have swapped them for colored suede? where would you find those peices?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:28 PM

I take back my touche. No one has any pictures linked involving suede or colored door inserts. I did see a picture in Plush, a custom car magazine, but there is no information on how to dye, swap, or alter the cloth on our doors.

Quick Reply: Black Interior Panels