Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sealant

I just put some HIDs in my projectors and had to punch holes in the rubber cap on the back of the projectors. I washed my car yesterday and noticed a little bit of fog in the lights after I rinsed this off...I'm guess because I don't have those holes sealed. Can anyone give me a specific type of sealant or silicone that will work. I was told to get something that won't heal hard so that it can flex...I just don't know what to buy. I'm going to Wal-Mart later so hopefully there's something. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by jar05g; 09-05-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 AM

Well I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and found some stuff in the automotive section that is a silicone sealant. It's waterproof and flexible. I'm going to put it on today. I'll post up if it's worth anything.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 AM

let us know, i repainted mine and if i power wash it and i'm not careful it fogs
Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by wbrevels
let us know, i repainted mine and if i power wash it and i'm not careful it fogs
Yeah man...that's exactly what happened to me. I don't have access to a hose or anything for my car...so I am obligated to use the touch free car washes lol. I'm putting it on today. It said to give it a day to cure..but I'll let you know how easy it goes on and what not.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

The exact same thing happened to me. I go to a car wash and they fog up pretty bad too.

I say dont put any sealant on them. Just as long as they have air going through them they should be fine. Some kind of circulation. If you seal it up with moisture, its going to still be there, and when you turn on your lights, its going to make it re-appear.
I found a lil trick that might help you out. Just turn off your lights when you turn on your car the same day your about to go to the car wash so it wont heat up the housings. Then after you go through the wash, leave your headlights off for about another hour.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by wardzach2007
The exact same thing happened to me. I go to a car wash and they fog up pretty bad too.

I say dont put any sealant on them. Just as long as they have air going through them they should be fine. Some kind of circulation. If you seal it up with moisture, its going to still be there, and when you turn on your lights, its going to make it re-appear.
I found a lil trick that might help you out. Just turn off your lights when you turn on your car the same day your about to go to the car wash so it wont heat up the housings. Then after you go through the wash, leave your headlights off for about another hour.
My lights weren't on at all that day. I pulled my DRL fuse. The water that was coming out at the car wash was really warm though...I think that might have had something to do with it. I'd like to put sealant on there...but it would be during the day when I know there isn't any moisture in there. I just don't want water to get inside and potentially ruin my lights ya know.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:18 PM

I've done several cars using rtv. Never had a prob
Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Ok...so I put the sealant on today. It went on super easy. I just put it around the hole, spread it out a little bit, and put it a few centimeters up the wires to insure a good seal. It was 2 in the afternoon so I know the lights were dry. I let it cure for about 5 minutes before I put everything back. I noticed on my lights, 2 gen., there is a tiny U shaped tube on the back of the lights near the top. That provides the "breathing" breathing. It's bent in a way that water can't get in. So for anyone who wants to try this, I got mine in the automotive section at Wal-Mart. It's by a company called Permatex. It's a white tube with orange writing that says "CLEAR RTV SILICONE ADHESIVE SEALANT." I'm not sure if it's on every tube, but mine said "66B" near the bottom. It's good stuff. Enjoy.