Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

17x9s have arrived

Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More boost and timing is not the thing to do with this type of racing. Wangspeed has experience and his tune/car is setup right, but if you try running with a 'street' tune bad results will follow.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well right now I don't spin at all even in first other than off the line. I need more power and more rpm!
I'm gonna talk to a local performance shop. The tuner there is named joseph, great guy,great tuner. No lnf experience but I think he's enough of a car geek to figure me out a good legal stx tune
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jboogie
Well right now I don't spin at all even in first other than off the line. I need more power and more rpm!
I'm gonna talk to a local performance shop. The tuner there is named joseph, great guy,great tuner. No lnf experience but I think he's enough of a car geek to figure me out a good legal stx tune
If you're interested, I can get you an STX legal tune. Really, all you can tweak are fuel, timing, and rev limiter. You're not gonna find much power. It'd be a pretty simple tune.

Let me know if you're interested. It'd be easier if you were up in the NoVA area sometime, or I can send you a tune that you'd have to have someone w/ HPT load for you.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Could always wind up in SMF like me :P
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
If you're interested, I can get you an STX legal tune. Really, all you can tweak are fuel, timing, and rev limiter. You're not gonna find much power. It'd be a pretty simple tune.

Let me know if you're interested. It'd be easier if you were up in the NoVA area sometime, or I can send you a tune that you'd have to have someone w/ HPT load for you.
Thanks wangspeed! We'll see when I decide to tune. I was thinking of trying terms cam tables and maybe 21* up top if you think it will take it. I don't mind throwing in a fel gallons of race fuel at track days but, don't wanna have to do that for autox.

No thanks on the SM thing. Lol. Did that with another car before the whole smf thing was around. Threw tone of money at the car just to get killed by evos. Already gonna take more budget than I have to fully prep an stx car.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks wangspeed! We'll see when I decide to tune. I was thinking of trying terms cam tables and maybe 21* up top if you think it will take it. I don't mind throwing in a fel gallons of race fuel at track days but, don't wanna have to do that for autox.
Not a chance at 21* unless you're running E85 or maybe full 100 octane. 14-16* on 93 is about all you can get with repeated laps.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i might be in time Still havnt decided, I do like racing it stock
Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Not a chance at 21* unless you're running E85 or maybe full 100 octane. 14-16* on 93 is about all you can get with repeated laps.
Without added boost still only 14-16*?

One of there damn days we're gonna meet up at vir. You going in august?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Without added boost still only 14-16*?
Yeah, unless the courses are short enough that it doesn't start to knock from IAT or COT. I forget. Are you allowed to ditch the cat, or run an aftermarket one in STX?

One of there damn days we're gonna meet up at vir. You going in august?
Uh, if I ask my wife right now about the August event, I'm pretty sure she would burn my car. Ask me again in late July. We'll see how my 7 week old baby boy is doing then.

I am hoping to make it to the Nov event though. I love the Grand East course @ VIR. It's very rare that schools get to run it, so I recommend that you go to that one if you've never driven it. Not if it's your first time on VIR though. Too complex for a newbie.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Here was my lil mans first track day at 12 weeks. lol My GF is so awsome for dealing with this one. She sat the next track day out.

And a bad ass Exige that would even talk to the guy in the Cobalt.....til I filled his mirrors so full of turboed econobox for a solid lap and he had no choice but to give me the point by. Cool guy after though.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM

you didnt run the 17x9's at the track?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by rallyracer
you didnt run the 17x9's at the track?
that was over a year ago. Had 245/35-18 Kumho XS on stock wheels and a 100% stock car.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/nort...d-help-253536/

just going to post this here quick cause im in a pickle lol

le me know
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 PM

hah thats funny, we have a white lotus around here plate number TK-421 and wears a storm trooper helmet when driving :P
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM

I wouldn't mind having an Exige S as a toy sometime. I just need more garage/driveway
Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM

There was a white one at the Land Rover dealership near me. Soooo sexy. Think they only wanted like 35k for it. Before the kid I would have jumped all over that!

Are you allowed to ditch the cat, or run an aftermarket one in STX?
oh, and yes you can replace our 2 cats with one high flow unit. I'm sure I would gain much more with the tune after an intake and DP.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 PM

oh, and yes you can replace our 2 cats with one high flow unit. I'm sure I would gain much more with the tune after an intake and DP.
Yeah, can find some HP with those 2 changes. The aftermarket cat will allow you to run less COT too, so it won't go as pig rich after a while.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM

I wouldn't mind having an Exige S as a toy sometime. I just need more garage/driveway
One of my students had one out not long ago - fun car yes. Bang for the buck - no. I don't think you'll like it. Our Cobalts is much faster
Old 06-27-2011, 10:51 PM

Now running Hawk HP+ front HPS rear and took a ride on some back roads to bed them in....holly crap does this damn car stand on its nose under breaking! Finally some pads to match the new found grip of the tires! A little nervous about taking them on track though. But, doest look like i'll be getting a track day this year anyway cause I keep blowing money on car stuff!

PS just got a laptop and HP tuners on the way!!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Now running Hawk HP+ front HPS rear and took a ride on some back roads to bed them in....holly crap does this damn car stand on its nose under breaking! Finally some pads to match the new found grip of the tires! A little nervous about taking them on track though. But, doest look like i'll be getting a track day this year anyway cause I keep blowing money on car stuff!

You're not planning on running HP+ on track are you? They'll glaze. They're not meant for any sort of heavy track work. Honestly, you'd be better off staying stock if you want something that is going to do double duty.

Personally, I vote get a set of dedicated race pads.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM

I had heard split reviews about hp+ on track. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into track pads soon. I get concerned about 2 sets of pads on one set of rotors, although you seem to do pretty well with it.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM

I just need more garage/driveway
I say that everyday I pull in the garage lol
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by G Speed
I say that everyday I pull in the garage lol
I need a race track as my driveway
Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM

a friend of mine uses HP+ for everyday pads but he switches out the fronts with track pads for track days.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM

So what are you planning on doing with a tune? I have been thinking about getting HP Tuners to learn to tune, as well as do a legal STX tune so i can stay in that class. Then I can have a fun tune for the streets as well Maybe even get the PRO model for data logging while auto crossing. I would love to be able to get the power to the ground faster in the low RPMs when you get caught going around a slow / tight turn in second. Currently I just floor it before I need the power so by the time I hit the point I want my power the turbo and RPMs have built up and it starts going.

Also, have you had any issues with the pedder springs not being stiff enough to stop the tires from hitting fenders / struts? I know you said earlier that it was very very close. I want bigger tires so bad, but I want to make sure it will all work out before spending too much money!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17x9s have arrived