Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Bigger (Biggest?) Wheel/Tire Combination

Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current DSP Photos

I've added a couple recent photos of the car with 285/30 x 18 Hoosiers on 10" wide rims. It's still not in full DSP trim because I'm only running Eibach ProKit springs and stock shocks. (Obviously, I've taken the Tire Rack windshield sticker off the car for winter - scraping snow off the windows.)

IMG_2894.jpg picture by sherbert3842 - Photobucket

IMG_3106.jpg picture by sherbert3842 - Photobucket

Scott
Old 11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mongorat427
Right Stick with what you have
With the converted hubs you can go back to 5x110 in a few minutes by changing the studs to the other holes.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subd
Old 11-25-2010, 11:41 PM

Wheels and Offset

Originally Posted by scottherbert
I've added a couple recent photos of the car with 285/30 x 18 Hoosiers on 10" wide rims. It's still not in full DSP trim because I'm only running Eibach ProKit springs and stock shocks. (Obviously, I've taken the Tire Rack windshield sticker off the car for winter - scraping snow off the windows.)

Scott
Scott I would be very much interested in your adapter wheel combo. In SP we cannot change hubs so John's new hubs would be of little help.

If you can run a 10 inch wheel, could you not run a 10.5 and have it stick out further, we can always flare the fenders. I agree with you the 285 is the way to go if the balt is to have a chance, however I also think weight reduction needs to play a major role.

Please do share about offsets etc. I can see by the pic you have two huge spacers to work in conjunction with the adapter. Have you looked at putting the adapter closer to the hub and getting a different offset wheel?

Have you talked to John or the guys a Kodiak to find out what wheels would cost to allow 10.5 in for better fit with 285?

Have you looked into aluminum hat rotors?

I would love to hear what you have done. Of all the cobalt guys, you are the only one who has pushed to see what can be done.

I am assuming you have spoken extensively to John Powell. How did you come about your current spring rate, coil overs and droop or rake?

Have you looked at a front splitter?

Any problems with the computer and the wheels. John feels the car needs the newer HHR steering rack otherwise he feels there may be a problem with the larger tire, wheel combo.

To all following this thread. Learn from those who are doing like Scott, the other only talk, Scott is doing.

Allan
Old 11-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spank
Scott I would be very much interested in your adapter wheel combo. In SP we cannot change hubs so John's new hubs would be of little help.

If you can run a 10 inch wheel, could you not run a 10.5 and have it stick out further, we can always flare the fenders. I agree with you the 285 is the way to go if the balt is to have a chance, however I also think weight reduction needs to play a major role.

Yes, you could go wider, but you'd need a wheel with about a 35mm offset with 25mm adapters, which would net you about 10mm of positive offset - I think it would be pushing things a bit much for the bearings. Flaring the fenders isn't rerquired in SP. You're right about weight, but weight equals dollars, is it worth spending an extra $500-1000 per wheel to save 5-10 pounds per corner?

Please do share about offsets etc. I can see by the pic you have two huge spacers to work in conjunction with the adapter. Have you looked at putting the adapter closer to the hub and getting a different offset wheel?

Further up in this post I've provided all the specs and the vendors - the spacers are only 25mm. What I've found with this setup, is that the spokes just barely clear the rotors, a factor I hadn't been able to calculate about offsets and wheel/strut spacing before I got the wheels.

Have you talked to John or the guys a Kodiak to find out what wheels would cost to allow 10.5 in for better fit with 285?

I checked out almost every custom wheel vendor before I bought what I have - they were all very expensive, too much for my blood.

Have you looked into aluminum hat rotors?

If I could find any that fit an 09, I've look into them. I haven't had any braking problems other than lack of vacuum from left foot braking.

I would love to hear what you have done. Of all the cobalt guys, you are the only one who has pushed to see what can be done.

I am assuming you have spoken extensively to John Powell. How did you come about your current spring rate, coil overs and droop or rake?

Yes and no. I know about how they setup their vehicle, but the requirements for road course and autocross are quite different. And I didn't have the ability - read money - to completely modify everything. Mine has been mostly through trial and error, basing a lot of what I've done on input from DSP, FSP, and ESP local competitors and their experiences with spring rates. I'm still at lower spring rates than the local, successful, SP drivers are using, but I don't trailer the car either. I'm using Ground Control sleeves over Konis with 2.5 ID coilover springs of various lengths and strengths.

Have you looked at a front splitter?

Not yet, but both a deeper air dam and a clear plexiglass spoiler are possible a bit later. SCCA has very specifici rules about splitters/air dams.

Any problems with the computer and the wheels. John feels the car needs the newer HHR steering rack otherwise he feels there may be a problem with the larger tire, wheel combo.

I haven't had any problem so far. I've forgotten to turn off the ESC a couple of times with interesting results - like the car was applying brakes when I didn't want them.

To all following this thread. Learn from those who are doing like Scott, the other only talk, Scott is doing.

Allan
Scott
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Just installed the front suspension cross brace -- Twin Sub Frame Bar - $129.99 : Rebel Auto Worxs.ca -- and it works like a champ.

The website says is fits up to 2007s, mine is a 2009 and it fits just fine on mine too (I was prepared to do modificatoins to make it work; mods were not needed!).

Not sure how much it will help, but it can't hurt, it's reasonably priced, and SCCA now allows it.

Scott
Old 11-27-2010, 05:44 PM

Scott
What kind of cornering G's do you get with that setup?

Looks nice, I like!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by venom09
What kind of cornering G's do you get with that setup?

Looks nice, I like!
I honestly don't know. I haven't gotten the rear negative cambered yet and the only chance I had to run (the photos) it was 28 outside. The front slicks got up to 72 degrees after 6 runs, the rears got to 50 degrees (Hoosier A6s want to be at 110 degrees, at least, to work well) -- so the rear end was sliding around a bunch. I won't have a real feel until it gets a lot warmer around here -- maybe next Spring.

Scott
Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm jealous. Venom, Scott, Army, and Dave are all running big sticky tires. I'm on stock wheels, like Dave, and running 235 Nitto NT01.

I might try going up to 245, but I need more camber before trying that. I wish Rota made wheels for our stock pattern. I'm not brave enough to get my hubs machined, besides I already have 2 sets of stockers.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 PM

Just installed the front suspension cross brace -- Twin Sub Frame Bar - $129.99 : Rebel Auto Worxs.ca -- and it works like a champ.

The website says is fits up to 2007s, mine is a 2009 and it fits just fine on mine too (I was prepared to do modificatoins to make it work; mods were not needed!).

Not sure how much it will help, but it can't hurt, it's reasonably priced, and SCCA now allows it.

Scott
About the Sub Frame Brace, I removed is yesterday and took a grinder to the sloppy welds in the inside of the frame around the LCA bolt-in components -- I ground the welds down so the brace could mount flat againt the bolt-in components, painted my grinds black, and re-attached the brace. Now I'm happier about the fit.

BTW, I'm going to inform Rebel Auto Worxs that the brace fits more then just the 05-07 cobalts. It fits my 09 just fine, which means it also fits the 08s.

Scott
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Just had the rear hubs shimmed -- both rear wheels are setting at -1.55 degrees of negative camber. The alignment guy also shimmed the rear calipers.

The spec from GM is -0.80 and plus + or minus - 0.75 -- so the most 'legal' camber I can have in the rear is -1.55 (exactly where it sits today).

I may get a chance to play this coming Sunday -- weather dependent (snow is being forecast).

Scott
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 PM

I wish hub change could fall under the comfort & convenience rule... sigh
Old 12-08-2010, 10:34 PM

Wasn't there a how to thread on this somewhere? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks for bumping this thread, one of my favorites.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:31 PM

I got six runs today on my 245/45 x 17 Hankook R2Ss, on 17 x 7.5 wheels (it was 12 degrees when I got there and it warmed up to about 38) -- so I'm saving the slicks for warmer days. I had 550 lb, 6" long front springs, 200 lb, 8" long rear springs, with a Hardcore rear bar, and -1.55 camber in the rear and about -1.2 up front.

There was still oversteer at speed (mostly due to the cold conditions) but by the last few runs, I could just stay on the gas through most of the corners and the rear end pulled through. Unfortunately, I could spin the fronts at will anywhere in 1st or 2nd gear so I didn't have as much pull as I might with slicks. Even so, it handles better than ever before!

Scott
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 PM

So, what are your (and everyone elses) thoughts on the stiff bar/ soft spring vs. soft bar /stiff springs in an autox setup? I would think the stiffer springs wound put down the power better.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 PM

Just had the rear hubs shimmed -- both rear wheels are setting at -1.55 degrees of negative camber. The alignment guy also shimmed the rear calipers.

The spec from GM is -0.80 and plus + or minus - 0.75 -- so the most 'legal' camber I can have in the rear is -1.55 (exactly where it sits today).

I may get a chance to play this coming Sunday -- weather dependent (snow is being forecast).

Scott
Niceee!

Did you take any pics? Or do you know the thickness of the shims he used. I fooled around with mine last week also
Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jboogie
So, what are your (and everyone elses) thoughts on the stiff bar/ soft spring vs. soft bar /stiff springs in an autox setup? I would think the stiffer springs wound put down the power better.
I never liked too stiff setups. You can over load a tire pretty quick when too stiff...
Old 12-24-2010, 11:54 AM

I had a friendly local tire/repair shop (that sponsors SCCA regionally) do the rear shimming. I told the alignment guy I wanted -1.5 to -1.55 negative (-1.55 is the absolute legal max by SCCA rules for the Cobalt SS) -- and he gave me exactly -1.55 on each side (he's a racer too). The factory spec - according to the factory manual - is -0.80, plus or minus 0.75 -- so if you add it all up, it comes to -1.55, which is where SCCA says it has to be.

When we first measured the factory stock rear setup, the car was sitting at -0.23 left and -0.60 right. He fiddled with shims until he got exactly the right about -1.55. So there's no way I could tell you what shims he eventually used. He did say he had to modify shims to work because there were none (out of the box) that would fit around the Cobalt SS rear hub bolts -- so he made mods to the shims - a little filing - to make it all fit.

I'm huge a fan of stiff swaybars and soft springs. However, since I'm running the really wide tire/wheel combo (285/30x18 Hoosiers on 10" wide rims) and the tires are outside the body line about 2", I have to run stiffer springs to avoid rubbing fender against tire. I posted some photos earlier of the car with the big wheels/tires, Eibach Prokit springs, and OTTP hardcore bar, and I discovered that I was rubbing rear fender against the slicks -- just barely, but enough to leave rubber layered inside the rear fender edge - not good.

BTW, the Eibach ProKits with stock struts and the OTTP hardcore bar is a GREAT street setup -- not harsh, very compliant, quite quick, and the car will still oversteer. It isn't what you want if you're only interested in 'slamming' the car, this isn't for 'looks', it's for performance, it is what you want if you're interesting in handling.

It also isn't a happy maintenance setup with the OTTP CABs because the amount of 'drop' on the LCA is much less than with the stock rubber bushings -- so you have to compress the struts to mount them -- a huge pain in the butt to do! It's such a pain that I've considered getting another set of LCAs with stock rubber mounts to use with the Eibach's -- it would be easier to change LCAs and struts than to deal with the strut compression problem.

But I didn't get the OTTP CABs for street use so I'm not complaining -- they're absolutely great for their purpose -- thank you OTTP!!!

With current setup, which I ran on an airport SCCA event two weeks ago, I ran 8" 200lb rear springs with the OTTP hardcore and 6" 550lb front springs - Konis front and rear -- cambered at -1.55 rear and about -1.5 front -- no tire rubbing at all. If you measure from the ground, across the wheel center, to the lowest part of the front fender edge, it's 26" -- about 1.5" of clearance between slick and fender. If you measure ground to rear fender edge, it's about 1/4 to 3/8" higher (remember, softer rear springs) -- about 1.75" clearance. I've had no tire rubbing so far. It's lower strictly to get the roll center down as low as possible -- to keep the car as flat as possible -- to keep the slicks as flat as possible -- to get the most possible traction for cornering, accelleration, and braking.

I'm planning to get a set of 6" 650lb front springs to experiement with before this coming year. Various of the racing Cobalts have run springs as high as 1000lbs - most of my fellow SCCA racers in DSP are running springs in the 650-850lb range.

Scott
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM

With current setup, which I ran on an airport SCCA event two weeks ago, I ran 8" 200lb rear springs with the OTTP hardcore and 6" 550lb front springs - Konis front and rear -- cambered at -1.55 rear and about -1.5 front -- no tire rubbing at all. If you measure from the ground, across the wheel center, to the lowest part of the front fender edge, it's 26" -- about 1.5" of clearance between slick and fender. If you measure ground to rear fender edge, it's about 1/4 to 3/8" higher (remember, softer rear springs) -- about 1.75" clearance. I've had no tire rubbing so far. It's lower strictly to get the roll center down as low as possible -- to keep the car as flat as possible -- to keep the slicks as flat as possible -- to get the most possible traction for cornering, accelleration, and braking.

I'm planning to get a set of 6" 650lb front springs to experiement with before this coming year. Various of the racing Cobalts have run springs as high as 1000lbs - most of my fellow SCCA racers in DSP are running springs in the 650-850lb range.

Thanks for sharing Scott!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM

good thread. this is also one of my favorites.

im going with some bigger wheels as well.

vannstoen es 2.2.1

18X9.5 with a +30mm offset custom drilled to 5X110 bolt pattern. havnt ordered yet due to a backorder but im pretty much set on them. pic:

my only worry is wondering if they will clear the brembos. everything else should be fine tho, except the center bore i believe, which is an easy fix. btw, whats the hub bore on the LNF?

the wheels have a concave look to them, so it appears that it will clear the brembos. also seen a picture of the same wheels on an evoX. those cleared brembos but had a +12 offset.

any help would be appriciated. im learing a whole lot about wheel fitment lately.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:29 PM

I would be very concerned with the way those spokes curve about the brake clearance
Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Are 245s too wide to run on stock tc rims?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 08ssedan
Are 245s too wide to run on stock tc rims?
i run 235 star specs, and i plan on going with 245-35 r-comps.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jboogie
I would be very concerned with the way those spokes curve about the brake clearance
what about the curve looks bad for break clearance? i really want these wheels, lol, just hope theyl fit, but yea, brake clearance is a huge worry. these would clear with a +22mm offset but thats just too little offset for me. (they clear 350z and genesis coupe brembos with a +22mm offset)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Just the way they curve in at the outside. That's just a heck of a gamble but, they do look good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bigger (Biggest?) Wheel/Tire Combination