Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

FIRST AUTO-X VIDEO!!! Feedback please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FIRST AUTO-X VIDEO!!! Feedback please!

well I posted a while back but my buddy just got my video to me.

I think i did okay for my 3rd run. I DNF'd the first two runs but managed to get this one off clean. You can see where I DNF'd at around :40 (thats why I was braking so early) as you can see it is somewhat confusing there and they didnt even have a pointer cone there my first run.

What I noticed (mostly bad some good? help me out!):

00:06 - Short shifted into 2nd early and didn't get back on the power soon enough

00:16 - Squared off second corner, should have radius'd it better.

00:31 - too much speed, understeering and too much steering angle (way too far from cones)

00:40 - braking too early, needed to be further left to hit apex and setup this large corner right.

00:50 - It was stressed that this was the most important corner - i think i set this up pretty good but carried too much speed into the next corner as a result of my excitement.

01:03 - I felt like i set this corner up right and late apex'd the second cone and went wide on the first... any suggestions here?

01:15 - I know I set this one up wrong (too much speed?) but I was really working on looking ahead and I clipped the last cone (at 1:15) pretty well

01:18 - Holy on-power oversteer followed by some lift off oversteer, kept it together but a corvette flew out into that road later in the day!

Again I am humble and really want some criticism. I am getting new tires next week (this run was on Fuzion All seasons that are riding on the wear-bars)

appreciate the feedback!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM

I have never autox'd b4 but damn that looks so confusing. Lol. I would loose track on where to go haha.

On another note I am not the person to leave criticism bc I have never done it b4. So on that note. Vid still looks really good
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ya same as above from me. I've never done this and I think I'd get lost. Looks real fun though! I've done it myself around some parking lots but never with cones or anything.

Nice work.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Nice video. The best answer for quicker driving is more seat time.

However, if you can left foot brake (I do), then do so and just squeeze the brakes into the corner rather than hit them hard. And if possible, brake only when you're straight and avoid braking in a corner. Slow in, fast out is the mantra. Always, always, always late apex! You'll be faster.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Left foot braking is high on my list of things to learn.

Thanks for the feedback - and if you havent autocrossed yet DO IT! really lets you exploit the limits of the car in a safe enviroment and taught me how and when the car will break loose. Not that I drive like an idiot on the street (although sometimes....) but it has made me quicker and I have much more faith in the car as well as a better understanding of what the suspension is doing.

I am looking at getting some new tires - potentially some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (30k warrantee and 280 treadwear) for the last few auto x's this year and going to a dedicated wheel/tire combo for next year. Crappy tires let you really feel how the car reacts but DAMN they are slow. I knew they were killing me, no reason the car should have been pushing in every corner like that.

Powell HC or XXX bar as well as Powell YYZ v2 springs soon as well - likely for next season.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Well I'm no pro but from what I've learned here's my critique:

0:14 - Try to make the straihtest lines you can, see how you pulled a pretty hard left then right here? That upsets the cars balance and will make you loose time in the upcoming left hander you take at 0:16

0:18 - This left hander is good, but try to slow down, hit the apex and then slowly roll on the throttle out of the turn.

0:33 - Refer to last comment, slow down, hit apex, roll on throttle.

0:40 - Good little slalom, as you get more expereince you'll learn exactly where your car is and get faster thru these. The only way to learn this is to HIT CONES, so dont be afraid to get real close a couple times

0:56 - Again, aim for the apex, you were a little late to the apex here because you were too fast in entry.

Great job tho man! Hope you had a good time and talk to the pros/novice coaches whenever you can. Ride alongs help very much.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by noorjariri
Well I'm no pro but from what I've learned here's my critique:

0:14 - Try to make the straihtest lines you can, see how you pulled a pretty hard left then right here? That upsets the cars balance and will make you loose time in the upcoming left hander you take at 0:16

0:18 - This left hander is good, but try to slow down, hit the apex and then slowly roll on the throttle out of the turn.

0:33 - Refer to last comment, slow down, hit apex, roll on throttle.

0:40 - Good little slalom, as you get more expereince you'll learn exactly where your car is and get faster thru these. The only way to learn this is to HIT CONES, so dont be afraid to get real close a couple times

0:56 - Again, aim for the apex, you were a little late to the apex here because you were too fast in entry.

Great job tho man! Hope you had a good time and talk to the pros/novice coaches whenever you can. Ride alongs help very much.
Thanks I really appreciate that!

I've probably watched this 50 times... I definately need to work on entry speeds as the slip angle was too much but its just so HARD to slow down!!!

Another thing I noticed with the SS/TC is that you need to get on the power a little earlier than you would in an NA car because it takes a second for the turbo to spool. This should be less of an issue though since I fixed a BIG leak since this video so hopefully response will be quicker and more predictable!

New tires coming in this week so I'll be at the next auto x for sure with another video!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM

tires are the best mod you can do, I wish I did mine first. what did you go with