Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

track day Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
track day Brakes

I going to a track day and I am having my brake lines switched to stainless lines I also want the brake fluid flushed.
What fluid would you recommend and where can I purcahse it for the DD and twice a year track days? The track is Road America (high speed track with some very long and hard braking areas). I am running R1 premium drilled and slotted with Hawk HPS pads.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 395 plus
I going to a track day and I am having my brake lines switched to stainless lines I also want the brake fluid flushed.
What fluid would you recommend and where can I purcahse it for the DD and twice a year track days? The track is Road America (high speed track with some very long and hard braking areas). I am running R1 premium drilled and slotted with Hawk HPS pads.
'Stock' brake fluid is quite adequate if you change it before you go to the track - every time you go to the track.

Your drilled and slotted brakes might be a problem - they look pretty but they aren't really what you need. They have a habit of cracking at high temps because of the drilling. Stock solid rotors are your best answer for the track day.

Scott
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by scottherbert
'Stock' brake fluid is quite adequate if you change it before you go to the track - every time you go to the track.

Your drilled and slotted brakes might be a problem - they look pretty but they aren't really what you need. They have a habit of cracking at high temps because of the drilling. Stock solid rotors are your best answer for the track day.

Scott
Only problem is the stock rotors will be warped before the day is over. They are crap from the start. I have warped the fronts from a panic stop which really isnt much different than hard braking at the track.

I will stay with my R1's. The good thing about Road America is that it has good distance between corners so you can cool a bit between corners. Its an over 4 mile course with 14 turns.

Last edited by 395 plus; 04-17-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Only problem is the stock rotors will be warped before the day is over. They are crap from the start. I have warped the fronts from a panic stop which really isnt much different than hard braking at the track.
So you "warped" (I doubt you did, I am sure it was just pad deposits) your stock front rotors and you think the same thing won't happen with drilled and slotted rotors? Please, please, take that garbage off of your car before you go to an actual racetrack. They WILL crack. Leave the slotted and drilled garbage for the ricers.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:57 PM

I think brembo makes stock replacement rotors for out cars... Heard they were pretty good
Old 04-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
which cobalt do you have? year model etc?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM

2007 ss/sc
Old 04-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Aubele
So you "warped" (I doubt you did, I am sure it was just pad deposits) your stock front rotors and you think the same thing won't happen with drilled and slotted rotors? Please, please, take that garbage off of your car before you go to an actual racetrack. They WILL crack. Leave the slotted and drilled garbage for the ricers.
Sure could very well have been from the stock pads. After I drove the next couple days I had a bad vibration whenever I would step on the brakes so I had these from my other car so put them on with the HPS pads. I have some brembo blanks for a couple days a year of track time.

Last edited by 395 plus; 04-18-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Sure could very well have been from the stock pads. After I drove the next couple days I had a bad vibration whenever I would step on the brakes so I had these from my other car so put them on with the HPS pads. I'm sure I can find some blanks cheap enough for a couple days a year of track time.
I honestly recommend that. Whatever you do, good luck and have fun!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:28 PM

see if carbotech makes anything for those cars. im pretty sure they make stuff for the lnf now which i need to look into. a good dot4 fluid i recommend.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is what I run on the car for a brake setup at Road America. Stock rotors with HP+ pads. They are a little much for the street but I don't drive the car that much. As far as fluid the DOT 4 blue stuff from Tirerack or Motul 600 which you can get at Pegasus in New Berlin. If you go to Napa and get rotors they are cheap so if they warp just put new ones on. IMO the drilled and slotted rotors are for show. HPS or HP+ pads will work just fine with your car.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by stealthy1ss
Here is what I run on the car for a brake setup at Road America. Stock rotors with HP+ pads. They are a little much for the street but I don't drive the car that much. As far as fluid the DOT 4 blue stuff from Tirerack or Motul 600 which you can get at Pegasus in New Berlin. If you go to Napa and get rotors they are cheap so if they warp just put new ones on. IMO the drilled and slotted rotors are for show. HPS or HP+ pads will work just fine with your car.
this....i run ferrodo hp1000 stock pads with coleman 2pc rotors, wilwood dot4 fluid and call it a day......im an lnf though.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
this....i run ferrodo hp1000 stock pads with coleman 2pc rotors, wilwood dot4 fluid and call it a day......im an lnf though.
Matt I would love to have 2pc rotors. Too bad my wallet can't support JP's prices. BTW you should try to come up with Brags if you can in 2 weeks.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Matt I would love to have 2pc rotors. Too bad my wallet can't support JP's prices. BTW you should try to come up with Brags if you can in 2 weeks.
if the cars done...pm me the info.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Listen to Scott and Mark. You didn't warp the rotors. You used pads that weren't aggressive enough, and didn't tolerate the heat. Do not use drilled rotors on track! Only newbies do this. They will crack. If you're lucky, they won't connect the dots.

HPS are not track pads. HP+ are not track pads. Both of those will cause some massive vibration if you try to use them on track. I guarantee it. Use cheap stock rotors, fresh fluid like ATE or Valvoline synthetic, and spend the money on pads. Carbotech XP10 or above, Cobalt Friction XR1/2, Hawk Blue (super rotor aggressive), Hawk DTC60/70, etc are all appropriate track pads.

Personally, I run Cobalt Friction XR1. They're rotor friendly, and are very easy to get used to. The only downsides are the price and rivets, though the rivets are made of a soft metal, and will not score your rotors unless you try to run it all the way down to the backing plate.

Should you decide to run a fluid more exotic than Valvoline synth or ATE, keep in mind that anything that has a really high boiling point will probably also not have corrosion inhibitors. This means that you MUST, MUST, MUST bleed the brakes once or twice a season, otherwise your lines will rust from the inside out. Street fluids contain corrosion inhibitors.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Listen to Scott and Mark. You didn't warp the rotors. You used pads that weren't aggressive enough, and didn't tolerate the heat. Do not use drilled rotors on track! Only newbies do this. They will crack. If you're lucky, they won't connect the dots.

HPS are not track pads. HP+ are not track pads. Both of those will cause some massive vibration if you try to use them on track. I guarantee it. Use cheap stock rotors, fresh fluid like ATE or Valvoline synthetic, and spend the money on pads. Carbotech XP10 or above, Cobalt Friction XR1/2, Hawk Blue (super rotor aggressive), Hawk DTC60/70, etc are all appropriate track pads.

Personally, I run Cobalt Friction XR1. They're rotor friendly, and are very easy to get used to. The only downsides are the price and rivets, though the rivets are made of a soft metal, and will not score your rotors unless you try to run it all the way down to the backing plate.

Should you decide to run a fluid more exotic than Valvoline synth or ATE, keep in mind that anything that has a really high boiling point will probably also not have corrosion inhibitors. This means that you MUST, MUST, MUST bleed the brakes once or twice a season, otherwise your lines will rust from the inside out. Street fluids contain corrosion inhibitors.
So basically you are recommending to get seperate rotors and pads for the track?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM

So basically you are recommending to get seperate rotors and pads for the track?
That's ideal, though some track pads are more friendly than others. I have no issues going between XR1 and the stock Ferodo pads. Hawk Blues would probably work too on the same rotors, but only because they lathe the rotors so damn quickly.

If you want to use the same rotors, do some research on the Carbotech stuff. You could just run Carbotech street pads and Carbotech track pads. Their stuff is compatible with each other.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 PM

Stealthy has a lsj though....he might be better off with a upgraded track pad
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM

hell ya, if you can afford it.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
hell ya, if you can afford it.
I think I can float it but for this go around I am stuck with my current setup. You and Jeff need to come to one of these RA events. I do my best to inform you as soon as I find out about these track days.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM

getting jeff out will be hard, he is trying to get a house...so his money is away somewhere else. I just need tires and I'll be down to do whatever. well...and the 2 piece brakes from powell.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 PM

What are you waiting for? Tell your wallet and John to chop chop!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
Stealthy has a lsj though....he might be better off with a upgraded track pad
I realize that, which is why appropriate pads are even more important. A set of track pads and a few bottles of Valvoline synthetic (available everywhere) would be cheaper than those crappy Swiss cheese rotors.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
I realize that, which is why appropriate pads are even more important. A set of track pads and a few bottles of Valvoline synthetic (available everywhere) would be cheaper than those crappy Swiss cheese rotors.
sooooooooo true. just making sure you knew
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM

I have warped the fronts from a panic stop which really isnt much different than hard braking at the track.
uhhh never been to the track huh?

Quick Reply: track day Brakes