Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Video From PDX at Mid Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video From PDX at Mid Ohio

This past weekend we went to a PDX with the SCCA at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. I finally got a go-pro so now I am able to take videos. This is my second session. I know it needs some work, I was mainly focusing on getting good lines more than speed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

‪Cincy PDX at Mid Ohio 7/29/2011‬‏ - YouTube
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 PM

I am thinking about taking my 08 SS/TC to Mid Ohio. Did you have any issues with the SS/TC on the track? Any advice?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by sstc08
Did you have any issues with the SS/TC on the track?
My biggest issue with the SS/TC on track is when people see a lil cobalt in the rear view they don't give you a damn point bye! lol
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're obviously still getting familiar with Mid O. I've only been there once, since it's far from me. You're over-braking, and starting to brake from too far away. Also lifting too early. I understand that you want to ease into learning how hard to brake, but it's difficult to learn how it should feel if you're riding them in. I suggest lifting early, that's fine, but waiting til you are deep in the brake zone so that you get a sense of how the car feels when you truly brake hard. As you get more comfortable, you can stay on the throttle longer, and you can adjust the brake point as appropriate.

Consistency is critical. If you're not consistent with the line and your inputs, it will make it difficult to improve. Use your video and go look up videos from other top notch drivers in street cars (preferably FWD with noisy exhaust). It'll help you see some of the things your instructor sees.

It takes a lot of practice and an awful lot of seat time til you get good at this sport, so take it one little step at a time. Do not be eager to go solo in the car. You should keep an instructor with you until they're bored and falling asleep because you're consistent, quick, and trustworthy.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 AM

I am thinking about taking my 08 SS/TC to Mid Ohio. Did you have any issues with the SS/TC on the track? Any advice?
I didn't have any problems with the car at the track at all. I will agree with jboogie last year I couldn't get a point bye, until I had a ZR1 behind me.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
You're obviously still getting familiar with Mid O. I've only been there once, since it's far from me. You're over-braking, and starting to brake from too far away. Also lifting too early. I understand that you want to ease into learning how hard to brake, but it's difficult to learn how it should feel if you're riding them in. I suggest lifting early, that's fine, but waiting til you are deep in the brake zone so that you get a sense of how the car feels when you truly brake hard. As you get more comfortable, you can stay on the throttle longer, and you can adjust the brake point as appropriate.

Consistency is critical. If you're not consistent with the line and your inputs, it will make it difficult to improve. Use your video and go look up videos from other top notch drivers in street cars (preferably FWD with noisy exhaust). It'll help you see some of the things your instructor sees.

It takes a lot of practice and an awful lot of seat time til you get good at this sport, so take it one little step at a time. Do not be eager to go solo in the car. You should keep an instructor with you until they're bored and falling asleep because you're consistent, quick, and trustworthy.
Yeah I was trying to take it easy. Its easier to get faster a little bit at a time, than to pull your car out of China Beach.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jboogie
My biggest issue with the SS/TC on track is when people see a lil cobalt in the rear view they don't give you a damn point bye! lol

I couldn't agree more, biggest douches are the ones driving the european cars... that's not my opinion that's a fact..
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM

I am hoping to take my car out for the OVR PDX 9/2 @ Mid Ohio. That looks like a lot of fun! Do you have a tune or any upgrades?

From what I have read from other people I was thinking I would splash the car with some race fuel from up there so reduce the chance of knock b/c of the high RPM's for a while, does that sound about right?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by tommyk
I am hoping to take my car out for the OVR PDX 9/2 @ Mid Ohio. That looks like a lot of fun! Do you have a tune or any upgrades?

From what I have read from other people I was thinking I would splash the car with some race fuel from up there so reduce the chance of knock b/c of the high RPM's for a while, does that sound about right?
You guys don't have to do anything to the car... just drive it to the track and bring it home in one piece.. which is easy as can be as long as your ego doesn't get in the way

You won't have any issues with ss/tc on the track, and you don't need "RACE FUEL"... you do not want 98 or 110 in your car.. unless you are tuned for it... you will make less power, and spend a **** load of money + probably destroy your engine/fuel sstem

If your stock - 91
If your GMS1 - 93 or 94

If your tuned.. then whatever you tuned the car on use that

Listen to Wangspeed, and let me bold a few point

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM

I have a catback exhaust on the car, and a front sway bar. I was on 245/40/18 starspecs. I haven't had any issues with knocking at all and I was just using premium gas not race gas. The things that I feel are the most important are tires and brakes. I always get an inspection done prior to going to the track that includes pads and all the lines. I also get my brake lines flushed and change the brake fluid I've been using Motul. It's also been advised to slightly over fill your oil. There was another Cobalt SS/TC there that had the GM stage 1 tune, and I think he threw a rod when he was out on track. ( I am not sure if he did or not) Someone said that it was because of oil starvation in one of the turns. I am not sure if that was the reason or not, I haven't had a chance to talk to the owner of the car yet.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by lnfftw
I have a catback exhaust on the car, and a front sway bar. I was on 245/40/18 starspecs. I haven't had any issues with knocking at all and I was just using premium gas not race gas. The things that I feel are the most important are tires and brakes. I always get an inspection done prior to going to the track that includes pads and all the lines. I also get my brake lines flushed and change the brake fluid I've been using Motul. It's also been advised to slightly over fill your oil. There was another Cobalt SS/TC there that had the GM stage 1 tune, and I think he threw a rod when he was out on track. ( I am not sure if he did or not) Someone said that it was because of oil starvation in one of the turns. I am not sure if that was the reason or not, I haven't had a chance to talk to the owner of the car yet.
Hey...

why do you have a front sway bar.. take that **** off and order a powell rear sway

Also.. don't overfill your oil.. maybe a "TAD" if you really want to but there is no need for it....oil starvation can happen... but only if your pulling porsche 911 times
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by lnfftw
Are you running different rims then stock? I wasn't aware that a 245 star spec would even fit on stock rims! From what I read on the PDX sheet for newbs, changing brake fluid is a very good idea. I know it might be overkill, but my car is a DD so crashing it is not good
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by G Speed
Hey...

why do you have a front sway bar.. take that **** off and order a powell rear sway

Also.. don't overfill your oil.. maybe a "TAD" if you really want to but there is no need for it....oil starvation can happen... but only if your pulling porsche 911 times

I run D Stock at SCCA autocross events, a rear sway bar is not allowed in stock class, so I have a rear sitting in my storage shed waiting to be put on when I change classes.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Are you running different rims then stock? I wasn't aware that a 245 star spec would even fit on stock rims! From what I read on the PDX sheet for newbs, changing brake fluid is a very good idea. I know it might be overkill, but my car is a DD so crashing it is not good
I am running the stock rims. I haven't had any issues with the 245 star specs on the stock rims. And as far as the brake fluid over kill is way better than killing the car that is for sure!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 AM

Well I am heading out tomorrow. I really don't have time to bleed brake system today, so hopefully I am ok. Its my first time and I wasn't planning on driving super hard. I am so pumped to finally get my car to the track!
Hope everything went well!!