Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

WARNING to autocrossers!

Old 10-07-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok.. checked into the CLASSING issue for the SS if you replace the knuckels with this part.

So far the general consensus is that if you replace these and plan on running in DS... you cannot since it's listed as a Competition part. This would throw you into SM or DSP depending on what else you've done to your car.

I might buy them over the winter just to have in case I need them, and if I move into other classes.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:20 PM

Wow, i think ill get my butt handed to me in SM open class...but thx for that info on the knuckles...good to know
Old 11-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

warning to autoX a lancer evolution will beat you
Old 11-11-2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by reallyfastchevyFTW
warning to autoX a lancer evolution will beat you

i've seen evo vs. sti comparisons where they showed that the evo mr actually beat the lamborghini mercialago (spelling?) on the track so if you try to autoX against one of those (unless you're using the one GM built for autoX they did a lot of suspension work but i was able to beat the evo.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:31 PM

I am currently in contact with SCCA technical officials trying to figure out if the steering knuckles will be ok for use and stay in the stock class.

I am under the impression that the only way for them to allow them in stock class is because of a safety issue from the stock knuckles breaking easily or try to get GM to change the wording in their TSB so that it does not say for competition use in it anywhere.

I sent the technical director of solo (autocross), Doug Gill, a copy of GM's TSB and have asked him if they are allowed in stock class. And if they are not, I also asked him what needs to be done to get them allowed in stock class.

I will update as I get more information.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me this sounds like GM has a problem and is just trying to avoid a recall on a deffictive part and or a poor choice on a part that was not strong enough to begin with. What I would like to call fun or agressive street drive could end with the same results, infact it may be more of a problem due to the poor conditions of some public roads. GM designed a beautiful car and made the mistake of putting a part on it that is not capable of sustaining the forces put on it. I think GM needs to accept responsiblity and say we made a mistake and have a recall on the part, it is a safety thing. The car is just being driven the way GM wanted to market it!!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer 06
To me this sounds like GM has a problem and is just trying to avoid a recall on a deffictive part and or a poor choice on a part that was not strong enough to begin with. What I would like to call fun or agressive street drive could end with the same results, infact it may be more of a problem due to the poor conditions of some public roads. GM designed a beautiful car and made the mistake of putting a part on it that is not capable of sustaining the forces put on it. I think GM needs to accept responsiblity and say we made a mistake and have a recall on the part, it is a safety thing. The car is just being driven the way GM wanted to market it!!
I agree. Thats why I should go drive really hard and break my knuckles. Then I'll get it in for warnity work and ask for the upgraded ones, I'll pay the differance. Maybe I can do this, lol would be sweet.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
I agree. Thats why I should go drive really hard and break my knuckles. Then I'll get it in for warnity work and ask for the upgraded ones, I'll pay the differance. Maybe I can do this, lol would be sweet.

Didn't you say the ones that broke were for R&D? I still want to see the people that have actually had they knuckles brake.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:19 PM

I have not heard of any member here that was autocrossing and broke them on their personal car. There is a guy on the suspension page that says his were bent from autocrossing and had to get his replaced. Sorry I can't remember his name.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM

I could have sworn that I made another post about this but yea I have read that guys post and I find it hard to beleave that you can bend a cast aluminium piece and at an autocross at that.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:35 AM

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...2-fastrack.pdf

Check page 10, tech bulletin #5
Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/07-02-fastrack.pdf

Check page 10, tech bulletin #5

5) Stock: the Technical Service Bulletin# 06-06-04-051 regarding engine recalibration (i.e. an ECU reflash) of the Z0K Solstice
and Cobalt SS is not legal for Stock category use since it is specified for competition purposes and thus does not meet the requirements
of sections 13.0, 12.4, and 3.8.A (ref. 06-337).
The competition-only steering knuckles for the Cobalt, G5, and ION, as specified in Service Information Document #1864485,
also do not meet the requirements of the Stock category (ref. 03-363).
For quick reference.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:16 PM

Good info, thanks for the heads-up!! I will definitely be getting these.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sneaky
same knuckles used in the pontiac/saturn roadsters ?
Well from what I read it was to be replaced with Grand am knuclkes and bearings and the bolt circle then changes to 114.5. then you need rims. but that is good news if you in the market for rims anyway. there is lots to choose from with that bolt pattern
Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I wonder what that re-flash they declare illegal is??
Old 03-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I wonder what that re-flash they declare illegal is??
Here it is I looks like it disables the abuse mode in the engine management.

This is to advise owners who intend to use their 2.4L LE5 engine-equipped vehicle in competitive driving environments under high ambient temperature conditions and/or high loads for extended periods of time of the availability of an engine calibration that will allow the engine to operate at full power under these conditions. This calibration in no way alters the power output of the engine under normal operating conditions. When using this calibration, full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 5W30 or the equivalent) is required

Gm is so gay first they put in crap axles and now the steering knuckles suck too.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Im not autocrosser, but wouldnt the K&N Drop In Filter your using disqualify you from the "stock" class Redwing?

If so...You sir...are a cheater! :P
Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by TCarter
Im not autocrosser, but wouldnt the K&N Drop In Filter your using disqualify you from the "stock" class Redwing?

If so...You sir...are a cheater! :P
actually you can delete the entire stock intake and be legal for stock class, drop in filters are ok, some regions allow a cai and some dont. catback exhaust is legal, and new shocks as long as the perch is in the same place as oem. other stuff is legal but those are the biggies.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by spaz
Here it is I looks like it disables the abuse mode in the engine management.

This is to advise owners who intend to use their 2.4L LE5 engine-equipped vehicle in competitive driving environments under high ambient temperature conditions and/or high loads for extended periods of time of the availability of an engine calibration that will allow the engine to operate at full power under these conditions. This calibration in no way alters the power output of the engine under normal operating conditions. When using this calibration, full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 5W30 or the equivalent) is required

Gm is so gay first they put in crap axles and now the steering knuckles suck too.

Nothing wrong with my steering knuckles and I have yet to see anyone actually break them.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoloZ/SS
Nothing wrong with my steering knuckles and I have yet to see anyone actually break them.
that is good news.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by bluebaltjim
actually you can delete the entire stock intake and be legal for stock class, drop in filters are ok, some regions allow a cai and some dont. catback exhaust is legal, and new shocks as long as the perch is in the same place as oem. other stuff is legal but those are the biggies.
Everything that I've read in the rulebook so far ( and everyone I've talked to in our SCCA Region ) has stated that ONLY the drop in filter is legal. No changes to the stock air box or intake system are allowed. CAI's will throw you into an ST class. STS for N/A motored cars, and STX for the SC guys.

Yes, cat-backs are ok, as long as the rest of the exhuast is still stock. No header, no cat-deletes, and no GM Extrude Honed exhuast manifold. You might get by locally with some of this, but try a tour event, or Nats, and you will get nailed.

From what I've taken from the rules as well, the rear shocks are allowed just as you stated... as long as they are stock STYLE... non-adjustable.
A shock like the Koni Yellow inserts are ok in stock as long as you sleeve the stock strut.

Pretty much, nothing else is really allowed changed major parts wise.

Brake pads
Fulid
Tires ( DOT-R-comps )
plus you can use a slight spacer for the wheels to gain more room ( up to a 1/4" )

Last edited by LittleStealthSS; 04-04-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:57 PM

My knuckle broke about a week and a half ago in my rally race, aaaaand gm voided my warranty. Im a little angry.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
well it broke racing... what you expect.
My friends did a few weeks back while he was just driving (taking a rh turn) car went straight across the street and over a curb, GM refused warranty work, and he ended up paying $2400 out of pocket since for some reason his insurance wouldn't cover the damage either.... fucked up IMO.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 PM

Gm can suck my ass. They know they screwed up making the knuckles too weak, Was there any other damage?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah broken axle, cracked the tranny, f'd up the fender and front lip, ripped the brake line, and a few other things

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WARNING to autocrossers!