Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

What pads are you running in your Brembos for Auto-x?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What pads are you running in your Brembos for Auto-x?

My brakes are BAD. Literally had to pump them at the last event coming into the first corner and it almost ended in tradegdy. I think they are holding me back more than anything right now since I have no confidence in them. I am thinking about running the stock pad because people speak highly of them, but - in a well bled system - do they perform adequately for autox? My friends cavalier with yellow stuff's and Solstice GXP with HP+ are both quite impressive and I feel like the brembos should be better than them, but at the moment they remind me of my 93 camry... not sure if the pads are ferrodos or just cheap-os (came on the car when I bought it) but braking performance is poor at best until they come up to temp. And squishy. So obviously bleeding them will help. Thinking about running ss lines as well with the super-blue brake fluid I'll be running.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Look at the Hawk line
Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
stock Ferodo Pads are superior to Hawks. Although they do have a lot more brake dust lol.

But stock are really goods pads. Make sure you bleed those brakes goood and change the fluid while ur at it.

It sounds like its more of an air in the line issue apposed to bad pads.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06
stock Ferodo Pads are superior to Hawks. Although they do have a lot more brake dust lol.

But stock are really goods pads. Make sure you bleed those brakes goood and change the fluid while ur at it.

It sounds like its more of an air in the line issue apposed to bad pads.
I'm thinking the same thing. I will be changing the fluid to super blue (which is now illegal thanks to envirofags - lol/jk/kinda) but I think you are right. Brakes have not been bled and now at 100k lol.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM

if you don't have braided lines already this is where to start especially when trying to eliminate brake fade while autox. I personally run ebc red stuff pads, they are noisy on the street sometimes but when you heat them up they stop on a dime. I do have the baer big brake kit though so it could also add to the stopping power.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I also have ss lines which help.

I didnt know about the super blue being illegal... Good thing i have a few cans lol, is the gold still ok ?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM

Not sure, its fine if you have it, the EPA just took it off the shelves. Kinda like R12 refridgerant. The baf stuff always seems to be the best though...
Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Impossible to make brembo's fade in auto x, since it never lasts more than 2 minutes.

Sounds like the previous owner bought the cheapo no name $40 pads and didn't bleed them when he put them in.

fresh bleed, pads/rotors and you should be back to breaking quickly.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by GR1VLET
Not sure, its fine if you have it, the EPA just took it off the shelves. Kinda like R12 refridgerant. The baf stuff always seems to be the best though...
*eyeroll

It had nothing to do with the EPA or being bad for the environment. It's only because it's blue. The Amber version is still perfectly legal.

The US has a law that brake fluid must be clear or amber, to help identify it in the case of an accident. No one will be freaking out wondering what the random blue liquid is...

Do I think this is stupid? Yes. But at least know the real reasons behind why it was taken away.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Whitnith
*eyeroll

It had nothing to do with the EPA or being bad for the environment. It's only because it's blue. The Amber version is still perfectly legal.

The US has a law that brake fluid must be clear or amber, to help identify it in the case of an accident. No one will be freaking out wondering what the random blue liquid is...

Do I think this is stupid? Yes. But at least know the real reasons behind why it was taken away.
*vomitsonkeyboard

I was told by a very reputable auto-x'er that it was banned because of epa rulings - I didn't think to look it up due to his knowledge of just about everything else. He's an old guy, I've come to the realization that *some* older people tend to just say stuff because they have no concept of the internet or fact checking. Can get you into trouble on the forums I guess!

Regardless - the rule for clear or amber is really not helpful at all. In an accident, mixed with other fluids, clear and amber would be about the hardest thing to discern between the others. The only other blue fluid would be washer fluid, which is also commonly amber...

I believe you, but have trouble understanding how this makes sense the more I think about it. What about non-standard colored trans fluid? Coolant? Royal Purple? Brake fluid is corrosive, but not nearly the most dangerous thing present in an accident that would involve the brake system.

The EPA and DOT both suck, so Oranges to Clementines I guess.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by GR1VLET
My brakes are BAD. Literally had to pump them at the last event coming into the first corner and it almost ended in tradegdy. I think they are holding me back more than anything right now since I have no confidence in them. I am thinking about running the stock pad because people speak highly of them, but - in a well bled system - do they perform adequately for autox? My friends cavalier with yellow stuff's and Solstice GXP with HP+ are both quite impressive and I feel like the brembos should be better than them, but at the moment they remind me of my 93 camry... not sure if the pads are ferrodos or just cheap-os (came on the car when I bought it) but braking performance is poor at best until they come up to temp. And squishy. So obviously bleeding them will help. Thinking about running ss lines as well with the super-blue brake fluid I'll be running.

Thanks!
ferrodo pads, brembo rotors, goodridge ss lines and motul 600 or brembo 660 fluid, all fresh and you'll be scraping your face off the inside of your windshield if you forget your seat belt. I used this set up all last year on track and it worked extremely well.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
As the others have said, stock brake setup with the Brembos/Ferrodo pads should be more than adequate. SS brake lines truly make a huge difference. ZZP sells a great set.
For the road track, I use Hawk DTC-70 race pads and Prospeed RS683 brake fluid. That's very helpful if you're trying to out brake say a Porsche on slicks lol
But stay away from the Hawk "street" pads. They are definitely a downgrade from the Ferrodo's and that's being nice.

In case the previous owner skimped on pads, this is the best deal on the web and I can confirm these are original made in Italy Ferrodo pads.
Amazon.com: ACDelco 171-1012 OE Service Front Disc Brake Pad Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 171-1012 OE Service Front Disc Brake Pad Kit: Automotive