Canadian Mid East Nunavut, Manitoba, Ontario

New owner in Mississauga

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner in Mississauga

Hi everyone, I just purchased an 09 cobalt ss sedan in black. The car has 211xxxkm but I payed what I think is a really good price. It has the Lsd option, other then that I'm not to familiar with the other options n such,im assuming it pretty much fully loaded, sunroof, recaros, pioneer stereo with sub. It needs nothing for safety but the shifter is pretty stiff going side to side, back forth is fine. I will be diagnosing it soon.

A little about me, I work at Honda, used to be into Honda scene, only liked the stuff from the 90s, but it's getting pretty old now n I don't like the new civic platform. I'm excited about the cobalt it does have some ***** but I need more..
Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to Cobalt land, Once you enter there's no escape.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:12 PM

Did you purchase that $4500 stolen SS sedan with the SC wheels off kijiji?
Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Indeed I did haha, It was stolen on a test drive seems like the only thing missing was the wheels n an badge at the back I think. It runs strong, gets about 7.5l 100km on the highway doing 100kmh, definitely rips on civics in stock form lol. N the shifter is a Lil f'd up, after taking it apart today the ball n housing part seems to have too much play meaning when going into first the ball comes up before actuating the lever making it feel very knochy, I think gonna try get short shifter n go from there.

N I paid 4200..

Last edited by Meadowvalien; 01-02-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-03-2015, 02:14 PM

Congratulations. I was eyeing the car for a bit but got cold feet after I learned it was stolen. Best of luck with the car.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Thanks, I thought for sure something was really wrong with it considering how cheap it was up for but I couldn't find any major problems, its needs a lil tlc haha
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey bud whats up. You got one of the highest milage sstc's on the forums. I hope to catch you soon. You also got some good hp/tq for the $. It'd be interesting to find out the car's full service history if it was possible.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 PM

I thought that may be the case regarding the mileage. Just over 120000 miles. I'd like to let everyone know she's not burning any oil yet, power seems to be all there, gas mileage is excellent, I put new plugs and kn panel filter and get 6-6.5 L/100km (dic readout fresh reset), about 1 liter better after the mini tune up. All good signs for tc owners!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:38 PM

I have new shift cables and ottp short shifter n spherical cabs coming too!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM

6-6.5L/100km I don't think so mate :p

The DIC needs hundreds of km to even start to get near an accurate reading. I've done the math on paper to compare and was off by .2l/100km over two full tanks of gas(98 litres worth)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome fellow 905'er, hope to see ya around when the weather warms up
Old 01-07-2015, 02:22 PM

Easiest way to check mileage is fill your tank only till it clicks out, reset trip, drive till near empty n refill till click out again, the amount of gas put in is exactly the amount you used to travel the km from the reset trip meter. Once my tank is low I'll post actual mileage.

On my last fill the car took 42 ish liters, im approaching 550 km. So that's less the 9l/100km both city and highway, I would imagine the highway mileage is somewhere between 6.5 and 7.

Hiw do you figure the dic needs a certain amount of km to be accurate. This is surely wrong. The dic will be more accurate on your overall mileage no doubt, but if reset while driving it's more like the instant avg. Ie, travelling on the highway rest the dic avg, it shows 6.5 liters, if driven exactly the same for 200 km or whatever, the dic will still read 6.5, it won't magically go up.

Some validation here, I am a mechanic, not a kid sitting behind a computer haha
Old 01-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Just browsing the forum quickly many ppl have achieved 36 - 38mpg mark, 36mpg = 6.5l/100km. I think the dic readout is actually quite accurate. Especially since the the olm uses an algorithm which includes fuel usage specs. So yes the car does get incredible mileage when driven for mileage, in the range of 6 - 6.5L/100km...
Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM

The DIC uses a number of different variables to get your mileage. It needs a lot of km to get an accurate readout, Otherwise it will be off by a good percentage.

You're new to this car and you even stated "I would imagine the highway mileage is...". I've put on 170,000km on my 10 SSTC. Travel all over the country for work. This is my work horse and I know what fuel mileage she is capable of. 6L/6.5l avg is not realistic. People stating this are exaggerating, mis-calculating, or hypermiling. Tons of mis-information on these forums.

You can't fresh reset the DIC while your already cruising and say that's your mpg. You're not getting your true avg. Just an inflated number you think you're getting for that little period. Anyone can make the DIC read low numbers.

She's a steady 30mpg car(7.8L/100km). Capable of 35mpg(6.7L/100km) on good days when everything in tip top shape and you've got time to cruise slowly. Usually a 25mpg(9.4L/100km) car for the way most people drive. And definitely a 25mpg car in the winter.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:21 PM

Honestly, if I'm getting 8.5 combined, saying I would imagine getting better economy on the highway only is a guarantee, if you don't understand why, I can't help you. You haven't stated any facts about the dic, just said your experience. The dic is accurate whenever, the information it gathers isn't different after a certain amount of km, that's crazy to think it would, it gathers it's info thousands of times a second, whether it had been fresh reset or not.

Imaging you had u had limited gas, flat Road, no wind exact same air temp throughout, reset the dic, drove 1000km, after about 2 secs maybe less, the readout is whatever say 7L, at km 1000 it's gonna say 7 still.... No variables changed throughout, so how could it change the readout if it's inputs were exactly the same, get it?

I never claimed an avg of 6.5L, but on the highway if driven for mileage it is good, but I also didn't say the 6.5 was sustainable, you assumed that. Obviously due to hills, winds, etc, it goes up.

I just drove 493km on 45L. 500 on 42 is exactly 7l/100km, I got about 7.6. Did I draft trucks, yes. Drive 100km/h, yes, 95‰ highway, yes, slightly hypermiling. So yeah in a perfect world it would go into the 6's, no doubt. Which is what the dic sees for a split second if your on flat ground with little wind n good throttle control(not moving at all), hence the readout of in the 6's

Does it take hundreds of km to have an accurate readout, yes. For instance, after getting 7.6, the dic reads out almost 9, why cuz I got gas n hit boost. There was not enough km of info to overcome the the large amount used quickly, so it goes up quicker. It did read out pretty accurate before that tho. On this I agree, about 0.2 more on the dic then actual.

Only facts will accepted here on out if this discussion is to continue. Myself included.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:26 PM

[/QUOTE]
She's a steady 30mpg car(7.8L/100km). Capable of 35mpg(6.7L/100km) on good days when everything in tip top shape and you've got time to cruise slowly. Usually a 25mpg(9.4L/100km) car for the way most people drive. And definitely a 25mpg car in the winter.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'm saying, not sure what your point is there.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:42 PM

On a side note, this forum is great compared to the Honda forums from were I come lol. It's nice to debate something without ppl getting mad n butthurt about it haha. Props to shanedude for a higher mileage ss/tc getting good mileage still! I'm liking these cars more every week haha. Have you had any shift cable issues yet? Any major issues in general?

Another side note, shift cables, ottp cabs, ottp short throw r here. To be installed tomorrow..
Old 01-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats! Seems like a good deal even considering the mileage unless there's something major wrong it.

I was able to easily get 32-33 mpg (~7L/100 km) driving back and forth from Halifax to Sydney (hand calc). About 400 km each way, with the majority at 120 km/h and the last 30-45 mins at about 100 km/h in Cape Breton, except when going through towns. Plenty of times going WOT too for passing or fun. Best I got was 35 mpg IIRC with the same driving style. I think 36 mpg is very doable without hypermiling if you just stick to the speed limits (90-110 km/h) and don't get on boost too often unless there's a lot of headwind.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:18 PM

I thought that may be the case regarding the mileage. Just over 120000 miles. I'd like to let everyone know she's not burning any oil yet, power seems to be all there, gas mileage is excellent, I put new plugs and kn panel filter and get 6-6.5 L/100km (dic readout fresh reset), about 1 liter better after the mini tune up. All good signs for tc owners!
You posted it gets about 7.5l/100km, then 4 days later posted you did plugs/filter and are getting an extra 1L/100KM, now down to 6-6.5/100km. Sorry that's where I came from. You did not gain 1L/100KM sorry.

I just drove 493km on 45L. 500 on 42 is exactly 7l/100km, I got about 7.6. Did I draft trucks, yes. Drive 100km/h, yes, 95‰ highway, yes, slightly hypermiling. So yeah in a perfect world it would go into the 6's, no doubt. Which is what the dic sees for a split second if your on flat ground with little wind n good throttle control(not moving at all), hence the readout of in the 6's
So you went out tried to hypermile and only got a 7.6? That's not good friend. Maybe your engine is starting to see signs of coking, might need a walnut blast/cleaning.

So you're a Honda mechanic? Or a Honda factory worker?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanedude
6-6.5L/100km I don't think so mate :p

The DIC needs hundreds of km to even start to get near an accurate reading. I've done the math on paper to compare and was off by .2l/100km over two full tanks of gas(98 litres worth)
Iv gotten that, driving to the states no wind, 8 hours I averaged around 40 mpg , that's confirmed with fuel up calculations
Old 01-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

That's a lot of kms on that car, at least u most likely don't have to worry about porus block. I'm sure it would have happened by now. Man wish One would be on sale for that here, if buy
Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 PM

Do you know much about the cars previous life/owner?

- Is it the original motor?(some 08's and 09's were replaced due to a porous/leaking block problem)
- Is it still a completely stock SSTC without any bolt-on's?
- Factory tune? GMS1? Aftermarket? A lot of 2nd+ owners discover a selectable trifecta tune they didn't even know the car had.

I actually met a dude from Toronto last year who was up here(Collingwood) skiing, that had 09 black sstc. We got talking and he was sitting at 16x,xxxkm. I was shocked this was the highest I had heard of at the time. Maybe this is the same vehicle.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:47 PM

Tom do you read he said 6-6.5L avg after his mini tune-up. Ain't no way that's happening. Especially now with the weather we're having in southern Ontario. Winder gas blend. Winter rubber. Everything is working against good fuel mileage right now.

Anyone getting 6-6.5 is hypermiling for it under nice weather and road conditions. Hypermiling for 8 hours is impressive. Takes a lot of dedication and patience. Does not happen by accident. And you will lose a LOT of time compared to a guy doing the same drive but going 10km/h over. It's interesting to see you hit 5.9 that's a great number. Was this before or after your big turbo upgrade?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Shanedude
Tom do you read he said 6-6.5L avg after his mini tune-up. Ain't no way that's happening. Especially now with the weather we're having in southern Ontario. Winder gas blend. Winter rubber. Everything is working against good fuel mileage right now.

Anyone getting 6-6.5 is hypermiling for it under nice weather and road conditions. Hypermiling for 8 hours is impressive. Takes a lot of dedication and patience. Does not happen by accident. And you will lose a LOT of time compared to a guy doing the same drive but going 10km/h over. It's interesting to see you hit 5.9 that's a great number. Was this before or after your big turbo upgrade?
no i didn't read lol. but ya i agree, no wouldn't be getting that, unless going down hill with wind at back all the time lol
Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 AM

I wasn't hypermiling, n my numbers r not exact. What I stated, if you read it, is that when i reset the dic before the plugs filter, it wouldn't go below 7, after plugs n filter, goes below 7. (if u wanna debate whether new plugs n filter gave me better mileage we can do that to), The debate is about whether or not the dic is instantly accurate, or takes 100's of km.

Lots of ppl showing its possible, even you said 6.7 yourself, case closed it is possible. The dic uses an advanced algorithm to calculate consumption, it is quite accurate, you stated that as well. No more on the dic, I know how it works, they're the same manufacturer to manufacture doesn't matter if I'm new to this car,i understand how it works, inputs..

I work at a Honda dealer as a mechanic.

Quick Reply: New owner in Mississauga