Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Cruisn's new project...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, washing parts then working soaked for a few hours last night maybe was not the best idea. I am sick as today. oh well. lesson learnt. Mainly jsut showed up to clean the tranny/transfer case up. looked okay. I will let it stay this way till it is installed then will hit it with a proper pressure washer at the car wash one day, will have more power.

The oil pan, tranny brace, fan, and fly wheel are in the pajero for cleaning in the robo wash.

All cleaned up:

This is the only bit of damage is this torn boot, still looking for a new one.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Got a few new parts today, woohoo

Roo lights, 220's with 100 watt bulbs

complete with harness:

Body lift: 25mm, needed so that I dont loose any clearance with sliders installed.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM

More new parts, I really have my work cut out for me.

Drawer sliders arrived:
2 sets at 125kg by 810mm for the drawers.
and 225kg slide for the fridge since it has a longer distance to slide out.

opened up:

Sway bar bushings

And for my dual rear tire carrier setup i received spring locks and locks.
for when they are open to stop them from swinging more:

And for when they are closed:

Flywheel was machined to!! can reassemble now:
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Well, Second last package arrived today.

My dual spare tire carrier mounts. bearing pivots. I will build the rest. they will hang off the rear bumper. will look good.

Also got my new motor mounts, and a 1/2 torque wrench

Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Well, this weekend was a bit of a downer.. Got the engine about 60% back together only to finally find the casting numbers.... 4d55... oh noes!! its a 2.3L with a 2.5L top end.. what gives here? I quick phone call and about 4.5 hours of driving later (huge thanks to ron for lending me his Mu with the trailer.) I roll back into the shop with a complete 2.5 along with intercooler, enough parts to build a second motor and a turbo version hood. complete with hood scope.

At least I got my snorkel installed. I like it!!

What the hood looks like: generic photo
Old 07-30-2011, 01:14 PM

I am quite tired from this, but making headway, will do a full update tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 AM

Alrighty.. where to start:

I guess with the removal of some more old parts off the donor pajero.

It had 90L of diesel in it. so that was a great excuse to buy myself some steel jerry cans, which I needed anyways... but now there is no guilt behind the purchase.

And the pedals are out:

Friday night rolled around and I arrived at about 6pm and started working on the diesel, piecing it together a little more. then Paul arrived at about 9pm, it was a long night of ripping all the electrical out of the 90, along with engine and tranny removal. lots of work. we finished at 4am with an extra set of hands as Ron stayed up to help with removal. A huge thanks to those guys.

Engine assembled enough for install:

Let the removal begin!!

It was sure nice to remove the computer and all that extra harness. which was great. hook up the hoist and away we go!

It may be 4am.. but at least one of us has a smile!! LOL

Time to clean the engine bay:

I hate water spraying back at me... solution: wear my welding helmet... LOL

Paint the engine bay, And install the clutch mastercylinder and lines

Put that awesome clutch on:

And it is in!! Finished saturday at 2am

I was out today to do more work, got most of the fuel lines completed, transfer case all bolted up but then started to hit snags...

The drive shafts..
The v6 flanges are a lot bigger then the diesel flanges on the pinion gear shaft. I am going to rotate the shaft 45 degrees and redrill the holes. as for the front shaft, it is about 15-20mm to long, so tomorrow at work I will cut out a bit and reweld.

Then there was a power outage so I was not able to get the shifter sticks installed. so that will be tomorrow.

Both pedals are installed. clutch installed and bled. feels a little odd, soft and the arm that pushes the throwout bearing maybe moved 20mm at full push, and since I never tried the factory diesel clutch I am not sure if that is enough. as the clutch disengages.. or feels that way very clsoe to the bottom of the pedal stroke. normal or no

I feel by wednesday night I will have it running. I need to strip a few parts from the v6 harness for the alternator and starter connectors.

I was going to drop in a diesel tach, but I hate the older model look, so I found a converter to change the signal for the petrol tach. its 65 bucks.

That is all for now... lots of hours were put in.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Today was an over all good day.. which is odd...

I started by cutting and shortening the fornt drive shaft, easy to do, took out 15mm should of done 20 but it doesn't foul so it should be okay. you can sorta see my new weld in the photo.

As you can see with the rear drive shaft, if rotated 45 degrees you can redrill the holes and make the 4cyl version work as the centering pin iss the same size.

The fuel tank required some new lines, no leaks, also the electrical for the sending unit is all plug and play.

One last issue underneath is that I will need to fabricate my own snubber as the factory does not fit anymore.

Moving to the interior:
Shifter sticks installed and sealed up.

And I now have 3 pedals, how cool is that, seeing the clutch pedal reminds me to make a comment that I dont think I bled the clutch properly, I jus noticed the bleeder screw today... oops.

I started playing with the electrical, which meant I had to tear into the v6 harness to get a few goodies I need for plug and play operation. but that is the nice way to go about it, so far the alternator, starter and all lights/sensors are hooked up. I have no wires going to the fuel pump, all I am going to do for that is jsut wire a kill switch to it for a temp solution.

as for the starter, it will not turn over when the key is turned... so I have some digging to do. not sure if it has to send power via the computer then into the harness.. as I have ripped the computer side of the harness out. did the 89/90 diesels have computers?

Tearing the harness apart!!

A lot of goodies atached to the engine tonight, alternator/ working on power steering, fan, most belts, rad, oil cooler, oil filter..
I am slowly getting there.

And for fun I set my intercooler on to find out how to mount it.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy crap matt, you got alot done to that thing now. looks good buddy keep up the good work
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

how fun!!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM

A bit more work the last few days, nothing to much, as I am lacking a lot of sleep lately.
*note to self - 12am bedtimes dont always work when working 10 hour days...*

So basically, I found out that the power steering lines form the 86 pump dont fit a 90 pump, which is not a huge issue as I have driven without power steering before and its a slight struggle but not to bad. I will have to get 1 custom line made.

but all oil and steering cooling lines are run:

I have finished bolting all the intake pieces on, less the intercooler. as you can see the wiring is a bit of a mess, some are to short between petrol and diesel since the alternator is lower on the diesel. but I have jsut bought a wire kit, with crimps and heat shrink so I will get all that sorted after it is running. as that will be a nice final touch to clean it all up.

Moving onto the fuel filter, I have mounted it to where the charcoal canister sits on the petrol model, not needed anymore so why not? and also the petrol doesnt have the tabs in the proper spot regardless, I am not sure if that is a year difference or jsut a dropped item since its petrol. anyone have a photo of a 89/90 turbo diesel?

grill is back in:

better shot of the drive shaft:

Best part, i figure was jsut test fitting the hood, I like the look with the scoop.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have the G5 that I want, now this, I want your skills!! lol looks very cool.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates, I needed a week off jsut to catch up on sleep. LOL.

Well here is a photo of her all back together.. well almost.
I still have a list of items to sort out

Rear driveshaft - is at the shop getting a new flange put on along with balancing and new universals. dropped it off today actually. so hopefully done for the weekend. I thought I moved past the whole FWD stage... LOL
Wiring: I have all required tools to cut wires and solder them into the factory location.
*I am on the hunt for a 89/90 Pajero wiring harness diagram , let me know if you have one.*
Tuning - it is still not running correct, I have included a start up video so you can hear what is going on. idles like ****, rough. missing. have double checked the timing. could it still be off?
I have also bled the lines and #3 is always putting out a misty foam and the engine rpm doesnt change, bad injector? 1,2 and 4 when the lines are cracked the engine damn near dies.

any help would be greatly appreciated as I am in a bit of a rut. diesels are new to me and I am on one hell of a learning curve.

Moving under its own power: and looking rather badass I may add...

Start up video:
Pajero start up - YouTube

And a few more goodies arrived:
my gps receiver. getting a netbook, with 10" screen and ozi explorer for mapping software. and will make a bracket for it to sit off the dash.

Thermostat finally arrived:

And the big ticket item, long range fuel tank #1
132L vs factory 92L with no lost clearance.

A few flaws though, some welds have porosity and pinholes, along with some cold lap. its hold pressure according to the manufacturer, but honestly, I am not impressed. as it may hold pressure sitting still but after 1000km's of corrugations I am sure that those fail points will fail, leaving me stranded with no fuel. I have tried to contact the company who keeps telling me they will call back but never do... I am not impressed, tank is covered in weld spatter too. I am going to get them to give me a ro for getting it repaired and will reweld the main seals myself. then I can at least trust the welds. Not impressed at all with the customer service after dropping 950 bucks..and yet most companies here wonder why people order from china and the states.. "but what about customer service?" well... I am not getting it here, so what does it matter where I order my parts from..

Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Well.. the woman is gone back to Canada for 1 month, so that means I have a bit more time on my hands...

So, metal fab projects all this week.

about 3 hours +paint to go then the roof rack will be good to go:

Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good man!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Well, I pulled the injectors out

the 2.5's are oily

Hard lines are great condition, albiet dirty.

I have a set of 2.3L injectors that are in a lot better condition. interchangable?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Custom driveshaft arrived today, thanks to cam for picking that up. appreciate it. although the note was rude.. LOL.

ends changed for proper bolt pattern, along with balancing and straightening. new u-joints to match.

And since I am having clutch issues with it leaking. I bought a new master cylinder, jsut waiting to order a slave cylinder to match.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Finished the roof rack. I like it, will definitely do the job.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Got my roof rack home, I like it, Looks good. thanks to dan for transporting it home while the pajero is out of action.

It a tight fit... Can only back in, If I put on 33's and 1" body lift I highly doubt I will even be able to fit..

Old 09-04-2011, 04:43 AM

well, its sunday here in Oz and I have been getting a bit of work done to the pajero. I have a full week off coming up so I am only doing a few hours per weekend. and a bit of custom fab on the weekend. works well for me.

I have installed my new slave cylinder, whihc now holds pressure. so that is another item off the check list. no photo of that, maybe one later.

I also installed the new drive shaft I got, perfect fit, looks great. I am pleased with the quality of the work.

Moving to the outside I ended up test fitting my new headlight covers, to find that it has a set prior and now there are to big of holes to use now.

But they look good:

Moving on I also installed the uhf antenna.
A shot of the front end: looking the part now. I am super happy so far. included is a test fit of my new roo light

Here is a side shot of the lights, there a little big and protrude a bit. but not to bad:

Now onto the big purchase!!
58L aux fuel tank, with electric transfer, this one is a huge increase in quality over the main tank replacement. no spatter, great welds, good paint. I am pleased.

transfer switch and gauge:

All fittings included:

The tank itself:

With this tank I am now able to carry 190L under the pajero with 40L in jerry cans on the roof rack for emergency.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Has been a while since I updated this thread.

I have almost finished the engine bay, I need a few sensors hooked up still, and to finish mounting the intercooler. but it is coming along nicely and looking quite nice

Dual battery all wired up:

Had to have a custom power steering line made up:

I bought a fridge slid, nice to be able to open my fridge up all the way.

Uhf mounted:

Compressor tucked away here for now to see how I like it:

And had a weekend out. lots of fun.. except all the cleaning that followed:

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Well, the weekend is coming.. well not really, but its a great excuse to work on the pajero. tonight goal was a rough mock up of how the led strip lights will sit under the awning and to test light output, I am rather impressed with them. I will soder the wires and heat shrink it all so it never shorts out over corrugations.

In place:

Powered up:

A magazine on the ground, taken with no flash, buthand held so deal with the fuzziness.

And of course a few goodies from milner:
new primer pump as mine was leaking:

The mystery bag. pedal covers, output seals, pressure sensor, washers, the works.

And the biushes I need, this will complete my kit of all bushes except the upper a arms.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Bit more work done, I installed soem new 4" speakers in the front, since the old ones sucked ass. these are a lot better, no photos though.

Then I installed some new pedal covers, much better then the chrome racing covers I had,

new:

Some new parts came in, my 5 way manifold for my breathers, no more water in this guys transmission.. LOL

Camp setup, got a new stove, along with a lantern. our campsite is almsot complete.

Running the lights while cooking:

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good man, almost done i take it?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Well... The pajero is parked for now, Getting all the new parts installed with new tyres and a new paint job. lots to do, not much time as it has to be ready to roll for christmas. will try to keep everyone more in the loop after this:

Quick Reply: Cruisn's new project...