Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Super chevy show-Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super chevy show-Edmonton

I'm at the super chevy car show/drag racing out at the castrol raceway in Edmonton. My dads 72 chevelle is in the car show. So anyone else come out? I did see one SS/SC in the parking lot.

The cars here are unreal I'll post some pictures up when I get home
Old 09-03-2011, 02:42 PM

def post some pics
Old 09-03-2011, 04:21 PM

I will for sure. Not gonna be till tomorrow night when I get back home though
Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM

I was thinking about comin out
Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM

You should tomrow they're doin it all again, I'm gonna try and race my car for the first time too
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Well it's started up again and it's beautiful out. Quite a few more cars in the car show too, theres a black SS/TC in it today. Racing is up and running, first time ever at the track I ran a 13.9, lots left in it though could drop the 60' a bit but I still beat a new Camaro ss
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM

man I didn't know that are cars were aloud to race I thought it was just crazy fast cars.. are you from edmonton?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Nope any chevy was allowed to, there was a new GMC Denali HD running like a 15.6 haha. Nah I'm from Grande Prairie
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Finally home pics incoming.

My battery died when I got to the Camaros there was a sexy flat black and red 69, and an original ZL-1

old car, new motor.

My dads 72 Chevelle

Brand new Corvette Z06 Carbon

Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Nice cars out there, Nice chevelle
Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Is this a yearly show?

If so, I'd be interested in coming next year...

~ what did it cost?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Is this a yearly show?

If so, I'd be interested in coming next year...

~ what did it cost?
This was the first year they put it on but they're coming back again next year hopefully turn it into a yearly thing, they are hoping to double the size by next year. My dads black and blue Chevelle up there won in his class and might be in the Super Chevy mag now

it cost $25 for spectators, $70 to race I only got 4 passes though cause I got knocked out in the second round, and I'm not to sure what it cost to enter the car show. Totally worth it
Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 AM

so I just want to be clear;

it was $25 to put your car in the show, and $70 to do the show as well as race??

$25 to just pop in and look around seems a bit absurd.

Was the racing a heads up elimination style, or bracket elimination style??

Assuming a bracket style - how many "test & tune" runs were you able to make before you had to pick a dial in?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM

It was 25 to watch and look at the carshow and 70 to race and it gets you into the carshow and stuff too, I dunno what putting your car in the show would be. but I got two trial runs and it was bracket elimination

Last edited by Killswitch; 09-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Killswitch
It was 25 to watch and look at the carshow and 70 to race and it gets you into the carshow and stuff too, I dunno what putting your car in the show would be. but I got two trial runs and it was bracket elimination
so after your two trial runs, what dial in did you pick?

what were your two runs in the elimination rounds?
(if you don't mind me asking)

I'd imagine that you'd feel a little intimidated running a 4-banger in a class with V8's;
I went to a national Pontiac show a couple years back and drove my old Grand AM in the FWD category - and even then with some of the built/boosted 6 cylinder cars, I felt intimidated with my little n/a 4-banger...
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM

I'd imagine that you'd feel a little intimidated running a 4-banger in a class with V8's;
I went to a national Pontiac show a couple years back and drove my old Grand AM in the FWD category - and even then with some of the built/boosted 6 cylinder cars, I felt intimidated with my little n/a 4-banger...
Double post*

Last edited by Killswitch; 09-06-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM

My first run was a 14 flat second was 13.9. I went with a 13.95 which in hindsight probably coulda been higher but meh first time ever. I went 14.1 next and on my last run my foot slipped off the clutch and screwed up my launch had like a 2.4 60' and went like 14.4 or something didn't even look at it really cause I was pissed I screwed up that bad

Ya it was pretty intimidating at first. first run I lined up against an 11sec car. My best run I actually ran by myself dunno why the guy was staged and everything they just never started his tree
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM

My first run was a 14 flat sec
nice.

so then did you use a dial in?
I only ask because it sounds like you're unclear on heads up versus bracket racing ~ your "first run" wouldn't much matter if it was under the dial in, or not close enough compared to your competitor...

I prefer bracket racing as it evens the fields between lesser and more powerful cars (to a point, after which the slower cars have the advantage)...
basically the faster of the two cars is handicapped (or delayed) at the start...
whereas heads up racing is more like what you see regular friday or saturday night (street class) racing...

My best at Race City (which is by all accounts an inferior track surface, and at a higher elevation to boot) last year was a 14.3...

I never tracked it this year because I saw no point, and didn't want to chance lousing up anything since I'm still on the bumper-to-bumper...

I'm thinking that when 60k hits... +
(but you didn't hear that from me )
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM

I started typing my response before your last post... and finished off some food while composing it

so you can ignore much of it
Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 AM

I started typing my response before your last post... and finished off some food while composing it

so you can ignore much of it
Ya I figured something like that happened haha. I accidentlly hit post. Seeing as how no one else is looking at this but us I'm gonna go a little off topic here haha I'm wanting to get tuned this winter/spring after I get bolted and I noticed you're a trifecta dealer so what's the easiest way for me to get a tune
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Ya I figured something like that happened haha. I accidentlly hit post. Seeing as how no one else is looking at this but us I'm gonna go a little off topic here haha I'm wanting to get tuned this winter/spring after I get bolted and I noticed you're a trifecta dealer so what's the easiest way for me to get a tune
First, I had heard through word of mouth that someone recently signed on as a Trifecta dealer in Edmonton - so if you do decide to get a Trifecta tune, that might be the best route;
But if you want to deal with me I'm ok with that too

Basically as a dealer I would need to get the specifics about your car, as well as your vin, then you pay for the tune and the dealer takes care of the rest;
The dealer then physically orders and pays for the tune and lets you know when he's received it;

By going with a Trifecta dealer you (theoretically at least) have:
  • someone local
  • someone who's able to flash you back to stock if you ever need it
  • someone who can datalog and email Vince to verify that everything is hunky-dory
  • someone who can help update your tune as far as modifications go (I'm still pretty new, so I don't know what kind of grace window there is for getting updates/revisions at no extra charge)
You also have the added benefit of not paying the deposit on the tuner hardware ($200usd), and you save on the shipping costs (which you would otherwise have to pay to ship to yourself, then back stateside once you're done).

Just so you know there seems to be a bunch of negative bandwagon posting on this site about Trifecta tunes because the tunes still have a safety margin built in them ~ which means you can make more all-out power if you're able to find a capable person with HPT...
But as far as simplicity sake - Trifecta costs about the same as getting the Superchips tuner, makes more power, with the same overall amount effort/skill

As a common courtesy, if I knew the name of the Edmonton dealer I'd pass along his name and contact information - but I don't know it at this time;
You could check the Edmonton chat thread he might be mentioned there...

I am in the midst of getting a tune nailed down for a guy who lives in Sylvan Lake, and will probably be bombing up there to do the 2nd installment...
email me if you're interested.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Awesome thanks for all the info. I'm pretty new still to modding my cars especially the tuning part my last vehicle was a 95 1500 Chevrolet with the v6 so no modding on that thing really it's not gonna be for a couple months till I'm ready anyhow just thought I'd get a basic idea.

Ya I've seen some of the Trifecta bashing that's been coming up recently which I don't really understand. I want a good reliable tune that's gonna get me the most safe power so I think this is the best way for me right now.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Awesome thanks for all the info. I'm pretty new still to modding my cars especially the tuning part my last vehicle was a 95 1500 Chevrolet with the v6 so no modding on that thing really it's not gonna be for a couple months till I'm ready anyhow just thought I'd get a basic idea.

Ya I've seen some of the Trifecta bashing that's been coming up recently which I don't really understand. I want a good reliable tune that's gonna get me the most safe power so I think this is the best way for me right now.
Absolutely no problem!

I tend to take the zero pressure stance;
I have a 9-5 type job, so I do not need to do this for income;
I would rather help someone out than pressure them into something they're not going to be 100% satisfied with...

...and this is not a trifecta thing either ~ that's just the way I operate.

Yeah and the bashing really seems to be juvenile to me... some people don't really take into account what Vince has done for hte community, or the fact that he will not chance hurting your engine by running the tune too hard...

If I find out who the Edmonton guy is, I'll let you know (maybe you could do the same for me) ~ but if you want to deal with me, just email me.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Ya it seems people have forgotten all the stuff he's given this community just cause he tunes in a margin of safety pretty childish if you ask me.

Will do thanks again