Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

What wheels are you using for your slicks/Drag radials?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What wheels are you using for your slicks/Drag radials?

I dont want to use a stock wheel or something heavy. If i am mounting a slick on the car i want a dedicated wheel for it. Something like a pro-star or equivalent. But do they make them in out bolt pattern?

Summit returned nothing useful for my search on our bolt pattern.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. Its pretty damn hard to find wheels that clear the brembo in anything smaller than the stock diameter. I know that the SS/NA 17" will clear the brembos. And you can throw on a pair of M/Ts on them.

People that are hardcore about the track like cmiller, got rid of the brembos for a set of LSJ's
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
village idiot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The SS/NA steelies are hard to come by.

You could order some specially-made rims. Jboogie did this through Team Dynamics and the price wasn't bad at all. Here's his thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/auto...rrived-242175/

You wouldn't have to do the same size, of course.

The best thing to do would be to do a hub conversion. Get with Mongorat. You can send him your hubs along with some ARP studs and he'll make them 5x114.3. He has the studs if you just want to send the hubs. The great thing about it is you can go back to the stock pattern by just removing the studs and putting the old studs in the oem holes. Downtime isn't that long and cost isn't that much. You'll have to get with Mongo on the pricing. If you can't afford any downtime due to your car being a DD, you could buy a second set of hubs or do like me and upgrade to Timken.

As for brake rotors, R1 Concepts (vendor on here) has two options for rotors that they can custom drill for you that will have holes for 114.3 and 110. One option is their premium brake rotors and the other is their regular rotors that are equal to or slightly better than oem. Pricing is reasonable. You'll have to pm them for that info.

If you do a hub conversion, your rim choices increase a million times.

I'm guessing by your sig you have MSRs on there(?) If you still have the stock rims, they aren't that heavy. You could throw drag radials on two of them. Only problem is the narrowest tire you can get (that I know of) is 245. Mickey Thompson and M&H both sell drag radials in 245 40 18. That may be too wide for the oem 7.5" rim. Also, 40mm is kind of short for a drag radial. From what I understand, you want a 45 or taller to take advantage of the soft sidewall. Ideally, you'd want something like a 245/45/17 on a 17x8.5" rim with a +32 to +35 offset. That's my opinion anyway. The only way you can make this happen is with a hub swap or a custom set.

If you just want two for the front, you could buy a set of 18" lightweight rims that are 8-8.5" wide and already in the 5x110 bolt pattern and then throw on the drag radials. A plus with this method is you could get two kind of pricey rims that you really like. Then you can buy two more down the road and have a full set of nice rims that you could put street tires on all around.

Last edited by casionerd; 06-07-2012 at 03:44 PM.