Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   Aftermarket Lsd (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/aftermarket-lsd-102069/)

jvc06sc 03-18-2008 10:09 PM

Aftermarket Lsd

I have an 06 ss/sc without a limited slip differential. I was wondering how much it would cost to put one in and if itd be worth the money? all input is appreciated thanks

Brian MP5T 03-18-2008 10:10 PM

$1500.

Quaife

TurboTechRacing 03-18-2008 10:13 PM

Otherwise Brian from "Team Green" manufactures an AWESOME LSD kit (Phantom Grip Style) but better.

They are made from 01 tool steel, which are machined, hardened and surface ground, at a VERY low price.

They have been a great mod for Getrag Cavalier owners, he has one for the F35 also we believe....

Here is his contact info:

http://www.j-body.org/members/speedracer/

If you have any questions about them PM us.

Also we carry the Quaife, as we are a direct dealer for them, PM us if you are interested in one.

qwikredline 03-18-2008 10:28 PM

:guns: Turbo tech is too polite. Quaife period. end of story. none better. none stronger. none simpler
get Aaron to give you the best price possible and then pay the man to put it in. you will LOVE it..::twothumbs:twothumbs: twothumbs:

invisible 03-18-2008 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing (Post 2091956)
Otherwise Brian from "Team Green" manufactures an AWESOME LSD kit (Phantom Grip Style) but better.

They are made from 01 tool steel, which are machined, hardened and surface ground, at a VERY low price.

They have been a great mod for Getrag Cavalier owners, he has one for the F35 also we believe....

Here is his contact info:

http://www.j-body.org/members/speedracer/

If you have any questions about them PM us.

Also we carry the Quaife, as we are a direct dealer for them, PM us if you are interested in one.

Can you kinda give me an idea on how much his cost. Not the quaife the other one.

TurboTechRacing 03-19-2008 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 2092123)
Can you kinda give me an idea on how much his cost. Not the quaife the other one.

I think they are about $250-275 + ship....

sschevy25 03-19-2008 08:00 AM

i see those obx lsd's on ebay alot anybody know if they are good...junk?....anybody have one in their ss?

Deathscythe 03-19-2008 09:06 AM

I've heard of them grenading in some tranny's. Basically I have been told to stay away from them.

Omega_5 03-19-2008 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by sschevy25 (Post 2093186)
i see those obx lsd's on ebay alot anybody know if they are good...junk?....anybody have one in their ss?

Replace the spring washers and fasteners, and they are fine.
It;s not a fun task, but if you know what your doing, it can save you a lot of cash.

Deathscythe 03-19-2008 09:13 AM

have you used one in yours?

victory_red_SS 03-19-2008 09:17 AM

The shop time for installing a LSD is about 10 hours, so calculate that into the your cost when deciding if it is worth it to you.
I am having one installed next week into my "new to me" daily driver SS/SC

Omega_5 03-19-2008 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Deathscythe (Post 2093278)
have you used one in yours?

Not yet.

I've rebuilt a few of them for a few of my buddies (Honda crew). They are pretty easy once you've done a few.

The problem is that the bellville washers that OBX uses can't even handle the stresses of shipping, let alone driving. That's why most are DOA in the package.
The solution is to replace the washers with standard bellville washers from Spaenaur, or McMaster-Carr.

Here is the how that I learned from.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1752849

Also, it's a good idea to de-burr the crap out of the thing, as you don't want any chunks falling off and causing your tranny to implode...
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556

Deathscythe 03-19-2008 09:32 AM

OK that makes sense. I have seen the opposite but from the same crowd. Honda owners that have transmissions that look like sand formations because of these lsd's

Witt 03-19-2008 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Omega_5 (Post 2093317)
Not yet.

I've rebuilt a few of them for a few of my buddies (Honda crew). They are pretty easy once you've done a few.

The problem is that the bellville washers that OBX uses can't even handle the stresses of shipping, let alone driving. That's why most are DOA in the package.
The solution is to replace the washers with standard bellville washers from Spaenaur, or McMaster-Carr.

Here is the how that I learned from.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1752849

Also, it's a good idea to de-burr the crap out of the thing, as you don't want any chunks falling off and causing your tranny to implode...
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556

I completely agree. They are actual quality pieces as long as you disassemble them, clean them and reassemble them with the Bellevilles in the correct order for maximum pressure.

Deathscythe 03-19-2008 09:45 AM

I'm not that familiar with transmission work, but why does it take so long to get to where the lsd would go?

Brian MP5T 03-19-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deathscythe (Post 2093380)
I'm not that familiar with transmission work, but why does it take so long to get to where the lsd would go?

The Engine and Trans Have to be removed... Separated and then reinstalled..

10 hours is a PRO who is familiar with the process..

If you get a BUMKIN to do it, it will be much longer..

qwikredline 03-19-2008 03:59 PM

Brian MP5T is right 100% It makes me laugh, the work to remove disassenble and reassemble is the same (plus parts) but now you are going to consider saving 500 bucks but you may have to buy some new belleville washers from Spaenaur to make it the el cheapo (less than) limited slip diff., right, and then maybe it will hold up? Give yourself a shake pay Aaron for a Quaife or forget it. Go big or go home...

am I sorry to be rude? no wait a minute, I am not sorry the road to hell is paved with guys honestly tyring to save a buck but then in the end they will spend more dealing with the rotten result of too cheap. YOu get nothing for nothing. So: Aaron. Quaife. Next?:cssNET:

Omega_5 03-19-2008 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline (Post 2094871)
Brian MP5T is right 100% It makes me laugh, the work to remove disassenble and reassemble is the same (plus parts) but now you are going to consider saving 500 bucks but you may have to buy some new belleville washers from Spaenaur to make it the el cheapo (less than) limited slip diff., right, and then maybe it will hold up? Give yourself a shake pay Aaron for a Quaife or forget it. Go big or go home...

Ummm... Brain was referring to the transmission.
The diff is actually very easy to take apart and put back together. You just need to have patience.

Either way, your going to have to dick around with ripping the tranny down to get the dif in there.

jvc06sc 03-19-2008 04:25 PM

If i did decide to get a limited slip would it void my warranty if i have tranny problems. Or would the dealer even notice?

qwikredline 03-19-2008 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5 (Post 2094900)
The diff is actually very easy to take apart and put back together. You just need to have patience.

Either way, your going to have to dick around with ripping the tranny down to get the dif in there.

Omega 5 what planet are you from? NO disrespect but if we are talking LSJ the diff can only be installed with a COMPLETE transmission DISASSEMBLE.... yup thats right right down to the last nut and bolt. Make sure you like up the shift levers when you are done before you put it in the car...:guns:

Omega_5 03-19-2008 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline (Post 2095073)
Omega 5 what planet are you from? NO disrespect but if we are talking LSJ the diff can only be installed with a COMPLETE transmission DISASSEMBLE.... yup thats right right down to the last nut and bolt. Make sure you like up the shift levers when you are done before you put it in the car...:guns:

Ummm... so disrespect, but did you even read a damn thing that I wrote?
Please read before posting n00b!

Originally Posted by Omega_5

Brian MP5T 03-19-2008 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5 (Post 2094900)

My name is "BRIAN" and I was referring to the Diff, which can't come out until the Trans is out.

Please refrain from speaking on my behalf...

Omega_5 03-19-2008 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T (Post 2095573)
My name is "BRIAN" and I was referring to the Diff, which can't come out until the Trans is out.

Please refrain from speaking on my behalf...

A) Quick typing... sorry..
B) Sure sounds like your talking about the tranny having to be removed....

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T (Post 2094153)
The Engine and Trans Have to be removed...

C) Stop being a fucking troll on here.... all you have done in the past 3 weeks is bitch about shit... a polite "No, I was actually talking about something else" would have done, as opposed to the asshole Mazda-driver shit "refrain from speaking on my behalf".

... ok... bye bye now...

------------------------------------------------

Ok... while I'm waiting for people to type rude replies... lets clear up this thread

1) If you don't like the OBX, don't buy it
2) If you do buy it, replace the spring washers and fasteners
3) Replacing said components is easy f you take your time and follow instructions
4) You have to remove the tranny from the car to install the diff
5) You have to slit the tranny to install the diff
6) Golden rule -> If you don't know what your doing.... don't do it. Take it to a shop and save yourself the pain and trouble.

TurboTechRacing 03-19-2008 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sschevy25 (Post 2093186)

They had a huge application issue, they didnt even know what they fit. They listed some F23 getrag tranny ones, and they were actually teh F35 getrag... They had a mess, not sure if they even figured it out. I would stay away just for that reason, if they dont know what it is for, how can they make it right?!?! LOL

victory_red_SS 03-19-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by jvc06sc (Post 2095012)
If i did decide to get a limited slip would it void my warranty if i have tranny problems. Or would the dealer even notice?

Yes and yes.

I had even asked GM about buying the Quaife through them, and have them install it and still the answer was, no transmission warranty.