Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   Axle Seal Install? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/axle-seal-install-246197/)

shroogis 03-29-2011 07:18 PM

Axle Seal Install?

I just bought a used LSD transmission to put in my car. I thought it would be a good idea to get new axle seals and replace them. Not so easy. I wasn't able to get one of them in, so I moved to the other side, pulled the old one out, attempted to put the new one in...Got it almost all the way in, and decided to pull it out since I dented it. Then I noticed this nick...

Do you think it will cause it to leak? Or is it insignificant? I'm thinking about knocking down the high spot with some emery cloth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/photo-20.jpg

Has anyone here installed their own axle seals?

black08SS-TC 03-31-2011 09:42 AM

Don't worry about the nick it prolly happened when u pulled the old seal the colored paint on the new seals acts like a sealent when u install them.. I used a large socket to install mine just get it strait and tap it in it'd a piece of cake!!

shroogis 03-31-2011 11:31 AM

Did you use the National oil seals? The red ones? I broke 3 of them trying to install it using a seal driver. It's so damn tight that it just dents the face of the seal. I bought 2 OEM ones and I might take the trans to a trans shop and have them install the seals...

black08SS-TC 03-31-2011 12:01 PM

I can't remember the brand but make suresl its strait and tap it easy it may start a little crooked I just tap the other side to straighten it out. Try not to knock it in the first wack!

jmfselu 07-19-2011 03:19 PM

hey guys i got a question. we had my car up on the lift doing a brake job and my buddy saw all kinds of oil n residue and crap under my car. We saw that it is leaking from the input shaft seal. I'm not lsd, its a 09 ss. any ideas on if this is going to be expensive or not. I may try the dealer but i know theyre going to say somthine about springs or mounts or sway bars and blast everything aftermarket on the car so im prepared to just get it fixed.

jmesl8er 07-19-2011 03:33 PM

Don't take it, do it yourself. If you put on the mods that your car has, you can do this too

cobaltz06 07-19-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by jmfselu (Post 5921729)
hey guys i got a question. we had my car up on the lift doing a brake job and my buddy saw all kinds of oil n residue and crap under my car. We saw that it is leaking from the input shaft seal. I'm not lsd, its a 09 ss. any ideas on if this is going to be expensive or not. I may try the dealer but i know theyre going to say somthine about springs or mounts or sway bars and blast everything aftermarket on the car so im prepared to just get it fixed.

Dealer has to prove the aftermarket components caused the problem. When I had my 05 base, it was lowered and they replaced my trans under warranty a couple years ago. It also depends on where you take it.

jmfselu 07-19-2011 04:32 PM

yah i got some a**holes of service managers around me at the dealerships. I did put all my parts on this car in my driveway lol. I have all the right tools and stands and what not, just not sure on the procedure. I'm def no confident enough to go digging into the tranny. Or is that even necessary?

cobaltz06 07-19-2011 05:45 PM

Should just need to pull the axle, pop the old seal out and carefully install the new seal and put the axle back in.

jmesl8er 07-19-2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltz06 (Post 5922163)
Should just need to pull the axle, pop the old seal out and carefully install the new seal and put the axle back in.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jmfselu 07-22-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltz06 (Post 5922163)

sweet! thats not horrible. I really appreciate the input guys.

ItalianJoe1 07-22-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jmfselu (Post 5921729)

You sure it's oil?

Usually what you find leaking from the trans bellhousin is one of three things:

-Brake fluid from a busted TOB

-Trans fluid from a cracked case

-Engine oil from a leaky rear main