Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

clutch won't engage after driver side CV axle replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch won't engage after driver side CV axle replaced

I have 2006 SS/SC. I replaced the driver side CV axle. Now - I can't get the transmission/clutch to engage and put power to the wheels.
Here was the sequence:
1) Removed old driver side cv axle.
2) As expected- xmission fluid came out when pulling out old axle.
3) I installed new axle (rockauto acdelco part).
4) It was Sunday night (tonight) - and I didn't have the official acdelco fluid to top off level. So- I went to autozone and bought the royal purple 75w-90 fluid as a temp solution. It took about 0.5qt to top off level (at fill hole). So - yes - a mixture of the original acdelco fluid and the RP is currently in the transmission.
5) Now - when I put in clutch, and put in 1st gear (or any gear) and let out the clutch - no power goes to the wheels. I hear a little bit of rattling - but that is it.
6) I tried pumping the clutch many many times - but it had no effect.
7) I triple checked that xmission fluid is full.
Suggestions?
Do I need to drain and get the correct acdelco xmission fluid?
Thx
IW
Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
fluid wont stop a manual transmission from moving, you have something mechanically wrong. i would bet your axle either isnt in all the way or its the wrong spline count.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
fluid wont stop a manual transmission from moving, you have something mechanically wrong. i would bet your axle either isnt in all the way or its the wrong spline count.
Thx. I wondered that too. This is the 1st CV axle I've done. When I pushed it into the xmssn - I thought it clipped in (I tried pulling the axle back out to test the retaining clip and it appeared to be "retained")- and it seemed to have the proper insertion distance. I looked at the clearance between the xmssn outer case and axle - and it "seemed" similar to like when I started. I did wonder at the time how I was supposed to know it was truly mated up.
IW
Old 12-04-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by slipslapjack
Thx. I wondered that too. This is the 1st CV axle I've done. When I pushed it into the xmssn - I thought it clipped in (I tried pulling the axle back out to test the retaining clip and it appeared to be "retained")- and it seemed to have the proper insertion distance. I looked at the clearance between the xmssn outer case and axle - and it "seemed" similar to like when I started. I did wonder at the time how I was supposed to know it was truly mated up.
IW
Anyone have suggestions to get CV axle properly clipped into transmission? I have mostly full access now - and as hard as I push or rotate or jab axle into xmssn - it won't clip in. Do I have to sledge hammer it in?
thx
IW
Old 12-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Some pictures may help.
My '09 axles eased in like butter when I had to remove the transmission a few years ago.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by exninja
Some pictures may help.
My '09 axles eased in like butter when I had to remove the transmission a few years ago.
I had to get mine a decent pop to get the drivers side to set right.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
I had to get mine a decent pop to get the drivers side to set right.
Same here when I did my clutch, but it was both for me. I just used a 2lb soft face dead blow and they popped in nicely.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
tap that ****** on the axle nut with a deadblow. it will make a pop noise and you're good to go.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Tdubbs
Same here when I did my clutch, but it was both for me. I just used a 2lb soft face dead blow and they popped in nicely.
I was worried about lining up the transmission side more than the half shaft side. When I did the passenger side I popped it in without having to tap it since I got a little more aggressive with it.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. This is my first CV axle replacement. Here is what happened. I messed up. I tried to install the wrong part - the CV axle for the 5T45MI trans. My trans is the MU3. I can tell you 1st hand - they are not compatible! So - that's why I couldn't get it to properly clip up and engage. The inner splined end is significantly shorter. In hindsight I should have put the old and new CV axles together to ensure it was the same part. But - at the time- I was sure I had the correct part. I never thought there were 2 different manual transaxles for the 2006 ss/sc.
When I realized my major faux-pas - I then put the original CV axle back in. Getting it back in was no easy feat. I pushed, wiggled, hit with mallet etc. I almost gave up. Finally, while pushing and jabbing and then also rotating - it finally clicked in. I needed the car to get to work.
Then - I ordered the correct CV axle for both sides.
Sorry for the red herring. My bad.
Thx
IW
Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
The S/C only has the F35/MU3 transmission. I believe the SS/NA came with the 5T45/F23. Parts stores (and sometimes even dealers) are notorious for not giving the correct info on transmissions.