Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Cobalt SS 2.0 turbo something broke? Trans? Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Cobalt SS 2.0 turbo something broke? Trans? Help?!

hello so I have an 08 cobalt SS 2.0 turbo with injen charge pipe, injen cold air intake, zzp catted downpipe, and exhaust. I’ve had the car for about a year with no issues until now. The car is running with 20 psi. I’m hoping someone could tell me what they think the issue is before I go out and buy something I don’t need.

So one day I was driving and I noticed when I was taking off first time the car was hesitant I would gas and it would take a second like it didn’t want to move. As I was driving it started to do it in second gear I would gas and it would hesitate. I drove for about 10 mins and as I was just cruising in 4th at 50km the car just started jerking and knocking like crazy and it came to a complete stop, the car was stuck in 4th gear so it died, I tried turning it over the first time didn’t work, tried again it started but i was stuck in 4th so I had to keep the clutch in. I managed to get it out of 4th and into neutral but now when i start it and let go of the clutch it makes a whining noise. Also can sometimes put it into gear sometimes not. When I get it into first and try to get it to move the clutch still grabs but when I start to roll it makes lots of grinding but when I reverse there is no grinding. One more thing when it happened it was leaking a ton of oil of some sort. It was leaking where the tranny meets the engine. Would appreciate some help thank you!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Could be your throw out bearing and/or clutch forks. If you leaked a ton of oil and it is your throw out bearing you should be low on brake fluid in your reservoir. Take a peak in there and report back.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:05 AM

I really hope it’s nothing super expensive because it’s the lsd tranny and it’s low mileage I really don’t want a new transmission it’s half the price of the car, I’m at work rn I’ll check the fluid when I’m home I appreciate the help thank you
Old 02-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
with what your describing, something has happened thats caused the fluid to drain out (failed axle seal, or worse a hole in the case), and you drove it low on fluid and likely destroyed the transmission.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:02 PM

I haven’t brought it to my mechanic yet because I’m going to be charged just to take it apart and I want to provide my own transmission if that is the case. Another thing is if it is the transmission I have a performance clutch in it and I don’t really feel like replacing that either it is costly, the clutch grabs perfectly fine do you think it would still be okay?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Why are you even driving the car if this happened...?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by LnFitness
hello so I have an 08 cobalt SS 2.0 turbo with injen charge pipe, injen cold air intake, zzp catted downpipe, and exhaust. I’ve had the car for about a year with no issues until now. The car is running with 20 psi. I’m hoping someone could tell me what they think the issue is before I go out and buy something I don’t need.

So one day I was driving and I noticed when I was taking off first time the car was hesitant I would gas and it would take a second like it didn’t want to move. As I was driving it started to do it in second gear I would gas and it would hesitate. I drove for about 10 mins and as I was just cruising in 4th at 50km the car just started jerking and knocking like crazy and it came to a complete stop, the car was stuck in 4th gear so it died, I tried turning it over the first time didn’t work, tried again it started but i was stuck in 4th so I had to keep the clutch in. I managed to get it out of 4th and into neutral but now when i start it and let go of the clutch it makes a whining noise. Also can sometimes put it into gear sometimes not. When I get it into first and try to get it to move the clutch still grabs but when I start to roll it makes lots of grinding but when I reverse there is no grinding. One more thing when it happened it was leaking a ton of oil of some sort. It was leaking where the tranny meets the engine. Would appreciate some help thank you!
Playing internet Diagnose the Problem, I'd bet your transmission is shot based on these. The main basis for that is if it's working fine in reverse then it's probably not a TOB issue. However, if you get home and see that your hydraulic fluid is gone then it's probably a clutch issue. The answer will be in which fluid left the car. Either way, that trans is coming out.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by T-Man
Why are you even driving the car if this happened...?

havent drove it at all it’s been sitting
The following users liked this post:
T-Man (02-22-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Could be your throw out bearing and/or clutch forks. If you leaked a ton of oil and it is your throw out bearing you should be low on brake fluid in your reservoir. Take a peak in there and report back.

fluid is fine
Old 02-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Then your trans is empty and toast
Old 02-26-2018, 01:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had some of those similar issues and it just ended up being axle seals. But I also brought it to my transmission guy a day after I noticed the weird noises. It was a few hundred bucks but well worth it. Bring it to someone who rebuilds transmissions for a living...