Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   F35 tranny noise never answered... (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/f35-tranny-noise-never-answered-326080/)

CJ_Lee 04-05-2018 06:59 PM

F35 tranny noise never answered...

Hey new to site. First time posting on a forum ever. Read many but never joined or posted. I have the same tranny whine everybody has mentioned but I've read through and no one answered. A lot of guesses and one guy rebuilt the whole tranny. I'm not doing that. So.... tranny whine when letting off throttle while in gear? Any REAL answers? A lot of people experienced this so either they fixed it and never shared the solution or there are a lot of you that still have this problem. 2009 SS sedan with 102k. Thanks

T-Man 04-05-2018 07:08 PM

100% normal

I've had it with all of my F35 cars. The LSD equipped cars are even more noticeable.

CJ_Lee 04-05-2018 07:35 PM

Really? It sounds terrible. How can this be... does anyone at least know the source of the noise? It's been like 10+ years, I was hoping someone had this pegged.

exninja 04-05-2018 07:42 PM

The Swedes like it loud

One of the bearings must be loud when it is loaded in reverse.

CJ_Lee 04-05-2018 08:54 PM

I'm going to swap the fluid in hopes it quiets down. Any further information would be great

exninja 04-05-2018 09:19 PM

Spoiler alert: it won't

CJ_Lee 04-05-2018 11:14 PM

The only thread I've read that got the sound to go away was a guy that did a total rebuild. Which means there is a specific thing that causes the noise and if replaced will eliminate. I've been researching hoping to find an answer. The only thing I've read that makes any sense is people replacing the intermediate shaft bearing, with no follow up on if it worked(which was posted in 2011). And also I read on a Saab sight that the preload on the output shaft from factory was slightly under torqued, and after various heat cycles the crush sleeve has a slight movement due to it heating at a different rate than the housing causing shaft play over time and creating the noise. I was hoping by now someone has it figured out and it wasn't one of those learn to live with it situations.

Guess I will turn up my radio!! (Insert smiley face with hand gestures)

user 72239 04-05-2018 11:41 PM

yeah the F35 makes weird noises. my LNF was pretty quiet, my LSJ is stupid loud. no fucks given

63 Nova SS 04-06-2018 06:11 AM

My lnf trans was quiet. My lsj trans with 4.45 gears whines pretty good. I'm sure it's due to the gears and higher Bearing preload that he used.

jdbaugh1 04-06-2018 07:30 AM

If the sound isn't an indication of an imminent failure why worry about it?

CJ_Lee 04-06-2018 10:53 AM

In all other transmissions I've had this type of noise meant something was wrong

exninja 04-06-2018 10:56 AM

I actually took mine back soon after I bought it because of the noise. They had it for at least two weeks waiting for parts. I got it back, still noisy. That was 100k and two fluid changes ago and it hasn't changed at all.

user 72239 04-06-2018 11:26 AM

my trans has 169k on it and makes the noise. but no issues shifting and I've changed the fluid. didn't help

Kolt 04-06-2018 01:44 PM

I test drove 3 different ss/tc one being non g85 and the other two(one being the one I purchased) had g85. All three had a whine, the worst being the sedan g85 I originally wanted to buy. It had I think 60kish miles. Mine was the least noisy but still whined with 39k when I purchased it. It shifted good when I bought it, even better when I changed the fluid but it still whines nearly all the time. As common as it is I wouldn't be to concerned about it. If you are just save up for a rebuild or get a spare.

royce777 04-06-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CJ_Lee (Post 7683734)
The only thread I've read that got the sound to go away was a guy that did a total rebuild. Which means there is a specific thing that causes the noise and if replaced will eliminate. I've been researching hoping to find an answer. The only thing I've read that makes any sense is people replacing the intermediate shaft bearing, with no follow up on if it worked(which was posted in 2011). And also I read on a Saab sight that the preload on the output shaft from factory was slightly under torqued, and after various heat cycles the crush sleeve has a slight movement due to it heating at a different rate than the housing causing shaft play over time and creating the noise. I was hoping by now someone has it figured out and it wasn't one of those learn to live with it situations.

Guess I will turn up my radio!! (Insert smiley face with hand gestures)

Jason at B3Designs fixed all those short comings

cluelessk 04-06-2018 07:34 PM

It's a Cobalt. Don't expect perfection.

It's also a very good trans. Not many fwd trans could reliably hold the torque of a stock TC, let alone GMS1 at the time. You can't have it all especially in a $20k car.

CJ_Lee 04-06-2018 08:57 PM

Hey I appreciate it. I couldn't get the fill plug loose anyways. I had to use a breaker bar just to loosen the oil plug. But I installed a shorty ZZP intercooler and changed oil and spark plugs. I have to say it rips!! I did notice a lot of torque steer. Even in like 3rd. I have lowering springs in the front so it naturally has camber. Not sure if I like that. But any one have this? It's almost dangerous.

Sharkey 04-06-2018 09:33 PM

should be able to get the alignment back in spec without much issue. the torque steer is not normal for these car, you likely have worn out control arm bushings

63 Nova SS 04-06-2018 09:55 PM

What sharkey said- the rear control arm bushings will tear and allow to much movement. Spherical ones make a huge difference. I always suggest using Powell raceshop bushings but they aren't cheap. Have a lifetime warranty though. Mine has a lot of his suspension parts on it and has 370whp and I can drive it wide open throttle with 2 fingers.

CJ_Lee 04-06-2018 11:05 PM

Really? Good to hear. Is it cheaper just to get new control arms? I still want a slightly comfortable ride but I do want to be able to hug corners with confidence. My stock struts don't have camber adjustment. So any suggestions on struts? My strut braces are rust and it rattles over larger bumps so I need new ones.

T-Man 04-10-2018 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by CJ_Lee (Post 7683824)
Really? Good to hear. Is it cheaper just to get new control arms? I still want a slightly comfortable ride but I do want to be able to hug corners with confidence. My stock struts don't have camber adjustment. So any suggestions on struts? My strut braces are rust and it rattles over larger bumps so I need new ones.

It's honestly your best bang for your buck as you will be going with brand new ball joints too.

I would suggest doing a full refresh on your suspension if your funds allow it. New, factory FE5 struts/rear shocks, KYB strut mounts and the control arms. Will be the best money you've spent on the car to date.

CJ_Lee 04-15-2018 02:51 PM

Thanks Tman. So I found the passenger side ball joint wasn't fully tightened and allowed a little play. So I tightened that up. Much better. Still seems like there is some play in the steering rack. Anyways. I'm currently sitting at my buddy's shop. Just got the tranny plugs loose and drained the fluid. I have the factory AC Delco fluid to put back in. My question is how much? All the threads say 1.7qts. Is that LSJ? Because my owners manual CLEARLY states 2qts for the 2.0 L4 engine and 1.7 for the 2.2 L4. I saw somewhere that a guy removed the reverse sensor and used that as a fill hole to get the full 2 quarts in. Just curious if anyone has a suggestion or input. I would like to put the full 2 in.

Sharkey 04-15-2018 02:57 PM

fill it till its pouring out the fill hole. the volume they give you is what gm put in on a dry fill so its not accurate for servicing.

CJ_Lee 04-15-2018 03:45 PM

Well I have the driver side jacked up to put some angle on it. I called a gm dealer and stated the 888xxxx number for the fluid. He said there has been an update to the number. I said ok. So I'm adding it and it's not red like what came out. It's 10-4104 (19351859). It says it is manual transmission fluid, GL-4(SAE 75w-85) high performance gear oil. I will see how much fits. I lowered the driver side when draining so that the front left corner was the lowest point.

cluelessk 04-15-2018 06:57 PM

Pretty sure you want the car level.