Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

transmission leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
transmission leaking

Edit: (Short Version) Changed Clutch, TOB, and transmission fluid now im leaking trans fluid from input shaft and some where on top of the transmission any ideas what could cause this?

(Long Version)
So a short while ago my clutch started to go out so I decided to replace it and do a transmission fluid change at the same time, so I change the fluid and put a new clutch in and replaced the throw out baring and everything is fine at least at first, shortly after the clutch and fluid change I noticed the transmission was dripping a bit of fluid I did not think anything of it at first thought maybe I just spilled a little or somthing but a few weeks later I removed the transmission again because I had forgoten to grease the input shaft and the throw out baring and the throw out baring was not engaging right and when I had the transmission off I noticed that Fluid was leaking out from where the input shaft protrudes from the transmission now im thinking somthing might be wrong but I went about putting the transmission back in anyways and then everything seamed fine aside from the little bit of fluid dripping here and there, fast forward to yesterday I was out driving and the car was acting really weard and I noticed the transmission is producing a loud sound when its above 40MPH the sound is almost like a loud humming noise im thinking maybe all the transmission fluid has leaked out so I go to check the fluid and plenty of fluid drains out of the transmission like it would normaly the fluid is still red and there are no shavings in the fluid so I add new fluid to the transmission. and it seamed to work fine after that then today I take my car out for a drive and I notice the transmission is acting weard again, its making the humming noise again and the clutch starts slipping so I decide to head home but when I get home in my parking spot is a sizable puddle of transmission fluid. Im not sure whats wrong at this point but I am thinking maybe the seal of the input shaft is bad and is leaking fluid out of it onto the clutch or somthing anybody else seen anyting like this before?

Last edited by Axelthered05; 02-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im so not reading that. Sorry. Free bump
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Axelthered05
So a short while ago my clutch started to go out so I decided to replace it and do a transmission fluid change at the same time, so I change the fluid and put a new clutch in and replaced the throw out baring and everything is fine at least at first, shortly after the clutch and fluid change I noticed the transmission was dripping a bit of fluid I did not think anything of it at first thought maybe I just spilled a little or somthing but a few weeks later I removed the transmission again because I had forgoten to grease the input shaft and the throw out baring and the throw out baring was not engaging right and when I had the transmission off I noticed that Fluid was leaking out from where the input shaft protrudes from the transmission now im thinking somthing might be wrong but I went about putting the transmission back in anyways and then everything seamed fine aside from the little bit of fluid dripping here and there, fast forward to yesterday I was out driving and the car was acting really weard and I noticed the transmission is producing a loud sound when its above 40MPH the sound is almost like a loud humming noise im thinking maybe all the transmission fluid has leaked out so I go to check the fluid and plenty of fluid drains out of the transmission like it would normaly the fluid is still red and there are no shavings in the fluid so I add new fluid to the transmission. and it seamed to work fine after that then today I take my car out for a drive and I notice the transmission is acting weard again, its making the humming noise again and the clutch starts slipping so I decide to head home but when I get home in my parking spot is a sizable puddle of transmission fluid. Im not sure whats wrong at this point but I am thinking maybe the seal of the input shaft is bad and is leaking fluid out of it onto the clutch or somthing anybody else seen anyting like this before?

Name:  www_plus613_net_GrammarNatzeeWallOTextbydinyctis.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  40.2 KB
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So a short while ago my clutch started to go out so I decided

to replace it and do a transmission fluid change at the same time, so I change the fluid and put

a new clutch in and replaced the throw out baring and everything is fine at least at first, shortly

after the clutch and fluid change I noticed the transmission was dripping a bit of fluid I did not

think anything of it at first thought maybe I just spilled a little or somthing but a few weeks

later I removed the transmission again because I had forgoten to grease the input shaft and the

throw out baring and the throw out baring was not engaging right and when I had the

transmission off I noticed that Fluid was leaking out from where the input shaft protrudes from

the transmission now im thinking somthing might be wrong but I went about putting the

transmission back in anyways and then everything seamed fine aside from the little bit of fluid

dripping here and there, fast forward to yesterday I was out driving and the car was acting

really weard and I noticed the transmission is producing a loud sound when its above 40MPH

the sound is almost like a loud humming noise im thinking maybe all the transmission fluid has

leaked out so I go to check the fluid and plenty of fluid drains out of the transmission like it

would normaly the fluid is still red and there are no shavings in the fluid so I add new fluid to

the transmission. and it seamed to work fine after that then today I take my car out for a drive

and I notice the transmission is acting weard again, its making the humming noise again and

the clutch starts slipping so I decide to head home but when I get home in my parking spot is a

sizable puddle of transmission fluid. Im not sure whats wrong at this point but I am thinking

maybe the seal of the input shaft is bad and is leaking fluid out of it onto the clutch or somthing

anybody else seen anyting like this before?

fixed
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 PM

short version is up now ( ._.)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You might of messed up the seal on the back of the Throw out bearing when you installed it. That will allow fluid to leak out. As for the humming. Mine did that for about 50 miles before it blew the diff apart.
Its actually 2 seals in one if you look at it close
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM

ok that would explain the leaking fluid from the input shaft but im also leaking from some where on top of the transmission
Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 PM

im thinking it might be a good idea to just take it to a shop before it goes boom see if they can rebuild it or somthing
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Ok so here is where im at now, I removed the transmission and removed the TOB and what do you know the seal was destroyed here is a picture of the bad TOB seal

this is the old one that is in perfect working condition

I also noticed this spring ring around the input shaft when I removed the TOB any Idea what it is?

oh and here is a picture of the transmission baring

Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Ok so here is where im at now, I removed the transmission and removed the TOB and what do you know the seal was destroyed here is a picture of the bad TOB seal

this is the old one that is in perfect working condition

I also noticed this spring ring around the input shaft when I removed the TOB any Idea what it is?

oh and here is a picture of the transmission baring

Any idea how that happened to the tob? I am getting ready to install a clutch and trying to learn as much from others experience as possible.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Its the spring that goes around the seal. It was either a bad seal or when the shaft was inserted into the bearing, it caught an edge and pulled it towards the shaft and wore down. Only other reasonable explanation is that the input shaft bearings are worn and is causing it to walk to one side but I think its either from install error or bad seal.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the shaft for side play. Shouldnt be much if any. When you put the new TOB on make sure you put all 3 bolts in loose and tighten them evenly. Use a tool to line up the clutch and pressure plate before you tighten the 6 bolts and try to slide the trans in without it hanging off the input shaft. An extra set of hands comes in handy.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
^^^ Mongorat for the win...he is experienced lol
Old 05-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 574
fixed
What was wrong with it???
Old 05-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamison Robinson

What was wrong with it???
Its a 5 year old post. That's what was wrong with it
Old 05-13-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
He is long gone, and the car is probably already in the scrap yard.