Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

FINALLY an option for us f35 guys. READ!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FINALLY an option for us f35 guys. READ!

The past 3 or 4 weeks I have been talking with John Shepherd from Sheptrans.com about building us upgraded gear sets. After talking with him on the phone and sending him some pictures of how out transmissions are configures he said it looks very promising and would like me to send him my spare trans for engineering and development.

If you guys don't know much about sheptrans you should probably just click on his website once or youtube john shepherd and see what his transmissions are capable of holding. The evo gears he just did were breaking around 400whp, and it was always 4th gear, similar to our 3rd gear situation. He now has the stock transmission on his upgraded gear set holding over 650 awhp.

I know some guys are blaming our 3rd gear breakage issue on "case flex", John and I talked briefly about that as well and he said the evo guys were claiming the same thing. He thinks it is simply the size of the gear. The gears themselves get smaller as you upshift so there is less mass=strength.

There is more than one good thing about this option, one is that we are getting a huge aftermarket vendor to support our platform with the highest quality parts available, two sheptrans specializes in this area so you know the gears will be as good as they come, three you don't have to run the same vendor for all of your mods, NOTHING BAD ON ZZP AT ALL THATS ALL I RUN RIGHT NOW, four the price he quoted me was ridiculously cheaper than ANY of the gear sets I have seen for other cars.

We also spoke about cryo treating and straight cuts. As far as cryo treating John said that would reap little to no benefits and the cost of finding the pullers to disassemble the tranny, get them heat treated, and find someone to reassemble it for you, would far outweigh the strength benefits. The straight cuts are basically a last ditch effort and he sees no reason to consider that at this point. if it comes down to that, and by the way he was talking it won't, you would be able to select which gears you want straight cut and which you wanted the stock helical cut. 1-3 1-4 etc...

So anyways guys this whole process will take about 6-8 months and I need your help here. He had a list of 100 guys that said they would buy gears from him when he did the evo's. He expected about half of them would actually buy so he only ordered 50 sets to be made. At this point ten guys have actually bought the gears from him. Some are waiting for good sold results before they spend the money which is expected, but we need a list of guys that would consider this, or will buy, once the developmental process and testing is done.

Price is yet to be released, but I will be updating this page quite often. All I can tell you is that it's more reasonable than I would have ever imagined. I hope we have a lot of interest because I know i'm not the only guy out there that is having trans issues with the power levels I would like to be running. For me, if this works out i'll build the motor and look for big numbers. And I would like to keep the 5 speed. I just can't stand the thought of looking down and seeing P,R,N,D,3,2,1

Let me know what you guys think about all of this and if you have interest just post it and i'll keep your name for my list. This will take some time so you all have ample time to save those pennies

UPDATES:

The transmission is apart and has been for 2 weeks now. The gears have been sent out to the 2 manufactures that John deals with on a daily basis to see what sort of power they can be made to hold and also to see who has the best pricing. That is where we stand right now. Price has not yet been released. There may be a slight ratio change due to the change in pitch necessary for more holding power. This, however, will be slight and barely noticable.

Some have inquired about a longer first gear and different ratios all around. These options are not feasable at this time simply because of the huge price difference that would be. our goal right now is to solve the major problem we have and work off of that. John did mention a possible change in final drive down the road. Thanks guys!

Update. The one company John used has promised a him a quote by tomorrow. This means our price should be released in the coming weeks!

Price Released! The 3rd and 4th gear set, both gears (primary and secondary shaft), is $1650 and install is $250.

Quote from John Sheperd:
These gears may have a slight whine due to the tooth profile we will need to use.
This can be helped by surface grinding the gear ar $30 per gear (x4 gears)
We would need to do at least half of the batch to get this done.

The first order is ten gear sets guys. If we sell all ten and order a bigger run the price will go down $250! Any other questions or inquiries about pre ordering please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by terry11; 06-06-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor

I have a wrecked G85 LNF Trans just sitting here if you'd rather send that then your spare. I plan on scrapping it, you're welcome to use it
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as awesome as it would be, i just don't see it feasible to get that many people to buy. put me on the list though. i am going to need it eventually
Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 PM

I would be interested as well, d.o.p.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
I have a wrecked G85 LNF Trans just sitting here if you'd rather send that then your spare. I plan on scrapping it, you're welcome to use it
Any idea what happened to it? Only reason I wanted to send him a brand new unit is so he didn't have to worry about broken parts that he wasn't planning on messing with. But I can run it by him and see what he says.

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
as awesome as it would be, i just don't see it feasible to get that many people to buy. put me on the list though. i am going to need it eventually
Got it, thanks. That's my only fear as well. I know if we have a SOLID 10 or 15 he'll make them. But that also means a list of prob 75 or so
Originally Posted by SSmokie the bear
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM

i am highly interestedc but id like to know a price before i commit
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by SSmokie the bear
Originally Posted by BNS06Mike
c'mon guys we need about 50 more posts like this "depending on price" so the real 15 people can get transmissions
Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM

Depends on the price...and if I want to do it lol I know it'll give A LOT of people who are going big turbo peace of mind knowing the weak spot(tranny) will no longer be an issue.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM

^ True dat, anything to make the trans a little stronger
Old 04-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BNS06Mike
You don't have to commit until we come out with a finalized price. Simply show interest

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
c'mon guys we need about 50 more posts like this "depending on price" so the real 15 people can get transmissions
haha something like that
Originally Posted by Rissa
Depends on the price...and if I want to do it lol I know it'll give A LOT of people who are going big turbo peace of mind knowing the weak spot(tranny) will no longer be an issue.
This is very true. Peace of mind
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

I would definitely get them if it was a cheaper than ZZp's stage 2/3 transmission do we have a ballpark price give or take $500? I think the 6 speed gear set is like 4k! I would not pay that much lol..
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM

interested
Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Sounds good I'd be interested when a price comes with it..
Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by donkeyballs
I would definitely get them if it was a cheaper than ZZp's stage 2/3 transmission do we have a ballpark price give or take $500? I think the 6 speed gear set is like 4k! I would not pay that much lol..
The ballpark give or take 500 would be right around half of the 6 speed gear set.
Originally Posted by zrated89
interested
Thanks
Originally Posted by 2010SS
Sounds good I'd be interested when a price comes with it..
Ok awesome
Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 PM

I'm gonna bet that Shep or TRE already does the work for ZZP, so dont worry about hurting there feelings.

Id bet on TRE just because they are a bit more local then Shep, but both do some amazing work and are far more qualified then any vender(save for possibly John) to do this work.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Since my plan is to go with the BW EFR turbo ZZP is building, I would be very interested, with of course the caveats of price, and availability of the ZZP turbo.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shep does sick work with DSM trannies for sure. **** even i would be interested since i wanna go bigger turbo down the road and i already took out a trans on stock turbo
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM

I'd buy one, the price would dictate how soon it would be financially possible for me to get one though
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by brainchasm
Since my plan is to go with the BW EFR turbo ZZP is building, I would be very interested, with of course the caveats of price, and availability of the ZZP turbo.
This is my plan as well. ZZP for the power, john shepherd to put the power down.

Originally Posted by BartSS
Shep does sick work with DSM trannies for sure. **** even i would be interested since i wanna go bigger turbo down the road and i already took out a trans on stock turbo
He does for sure. Thanks for the interest
Originally Posted by GERHARdT
I'd buy one, the price would dictate how soon it would be financially possible for me to get one though
6-8 months is the projected time frame from the time I get it to him. Thanks for being interested!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 PM

I have a spare trans with a stripped 3rd gear, pm me if he wants a couple to toy with i dont mind giving mine up to the cause. Been though three already.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 09whteSSpssssh
I have a spare trans with a stripped 3rd gear, pm me if he wants a couple to toy with i dont mind giving mine up to the cause. Been though three already.
Ok thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM

Im interested
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by gdubs
Im interested
Ok thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

interested depending on price gonna need it 6-8 months sounds like a good time frame
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 05Slowline
interested depending on price gonna need it 6-8 months sounds like a good time frame
That's what I figured. Let everybody know now so if they're honestly serious about it they can have most of it saved by the time they're produced

Quick Reply: FINALLY an option for us f35 guys. READ!