Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   Genuine Saab vs TWM shifter base bushings? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/genuine-saab-vs-twm-shifter-base-bushings-250241/)

05RLS2 05-09-2011 02:42 AM

Genuine Saab vs TWM shifter base bushings?

I am wanting to try out a set of the shifter base bushings using the stock LSJ shifter (Before anyone says it, no I am not going with a short shifter, don't suggest it, I like the stock one). I was looking at the ones that TWM Performance and Geniune SAAB sell, both look idetical for the most part, both CNC aluminum with washers. The TWM bushings from what I have seen look like they lower the base height of the shifter. Can any with these comment if they actually do? Also if any of you all have the Genuine Saab bushings, can you tell me if these lower the height or not?

Between the two, is one of them better than the other or have a better fitment? For the cost, it looks like the Genuine Saab parts are the way to go, but I just want to get an honest review on both before ordering

ManTFresh 05-09-2011 02:57 AM

the bushing are designed to give a firm solid shift. if the washer is smaller than the rubber bushing its obviously going to be lower but not by much. you might not even notice it. the only way to tell if they are diff heights is to contact the company and ask for specs. Or maybe diff ppl on here can take measurments of which ever bushings they own and post them up.Other than that, Genuine Saab is the best bang for your buck, although i order mine from TWM w/ cable clamp jsut to make ordering easy

Prestige_Worldwide 05-09-2011 07:39 AM

I have the genuine saab bushings and my shifter height didn't change any.

themacguy 07-13-2011 07:04 AM

I just installed the TWM bushings yesterday. The shifter height change was minimal, if any. However, the shifting feel and more solid and postive engagement of the gears is very noticeable.

I like the stock shifter. With this mod, it just makes it that much better. Very impressed!

r3v07ut10n 07-13-2011 11:04 AM

^ thanks, i have been thinking about getting these for a while. i will take your advice and get some.

Dart_SI 07-13-2011 11:07 AM

I have the twm bushing sitting around from a year ago. Lol. How hard is install? I gotta do this.

themacguy 07-13-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI (Post 5909210)
I have the twm bushing sitting around from a year ago. Lol. How hard is install? I gotta do this.

The instructions sent with the bushings are top notch. They're also online at TWM's website.

I did have a hell of a time getting the left rear stock bushing's metal sleeve out. I almost gave up, but after 15 minutes of tugging and prying I finaly managed. The other 3 came out easy-peesie. Don't know what the problem was with the LR one?

Anyways, if it was not for that one problem child - it would have taken 1/2 hour start to finish. Easy...

brainchasm 07-13-2011 03:27 PM

I just installed my TWM STS, with the new bushings and the metal cable clamp.

They say the STS drops the shifter height by like an inch - heh, not with the knob I put on it.

Remember, the aluminum bushings and washers may be thinner than the rubber pieces, but rubber also smushes when you tighten the nut down on them.

sternerG85SC 07-13-2011 05:31 PM

i wouldnt worry about it. the difference with base bushing vs. stock is so minimal you wont even notice, definetly worth upgrading. great solid feel