Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

GM F35 Transmission Rebuild... Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GM F35 Transmission Rebuild... Questions

Anyone know where I can get the set of GM tools to work on the F35 transmission? Only thing I've seen so far sold for $1000...

I have a list of all the tools in my service manual, but I would imagine they come in some sort of kit. Thinking my best option may be just to send it out to powell or zzp since they have the tools. zzp would certainly be a lot cheaper for shipping since they are also in Michigan.

If anyone has links to a tool kit, it would be appreciated. Made it to 99,900 miles before any major failures and then my second gear synchro fails.... Planned obsolescence? They did a pretty damn good job at it hahaha.

Would like to go ahead and replace all synchros, shift forks, and differential bearings. Thinking about going with LSD, but moving into a new house soon and will be short on cash.

Anyone in the US have similar work done by ZZP or Powell? How much did it cost you in the end?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SaberD
Anyone know where I can get the set of GM tools to work on the F35 transmission? Only thing I've seen so far sold for $1000...

I have a list of all the tools in my service manual, but I would imagine they come in some sort of kit. Thinking my best option may be just to send it out to powell or zzp since they have the tools. zzp would certainly be a lot cheaper for shipping since they are also in Michigan.

If anyone has links to a tool kit, it would be appreciated. Made it to 99,900 miles before any major failures and then my second gear synchro fails.... Planned obsolescence? They did a pretty damn good job at it hahaha.

Would like to go ahead and replace all synchros, shift forks, and differential bearings. Thinking about going with LSD, but moving into a new house soon and will be short on cash.

Anyone in the US have similar work done by ZZP or Powell? How much did it cost you in the end?
I think ZZP is out of the F35 game. I don't see you getting anywhere under 1600 just to pop the case. That has been my conclusion so far. Not too many people out there can do that sort of thing reliably. I just talked to FMSR and Powell recently. Its a hard decision. that ebay f35 tool kit is the cheapest you are going to find such a thing. guys paid way more than that brand new I know. The second best alternative is find a used one put it in and pray it works good. Can find used ones right now 1000 - 1500 . Best alternative.

You can find a 445 gear set take it down to AAMCO and have it explode in 30 days .....

I chose to avoid this route. If you haven't worked on trans I doubt your fist go with rebuilding one will satisfy you anyway, these guys that have been building these have upgraded bearings and things you would have a tough time gaining all that knowledge ordering parts etc during the rebuild time even with the tool kit.

I been thinking the same thing you have. If they are going to blow all the time why now just rebuild them and become good at it right? I actually want to enjoy my car so am having someone with experience that wants to do it , do it....
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Yeah it's looking like I'm gonna get a low mileage f35 w lsd. Crazy how rare these things are. It has me concerned about where I'm going to get parts for the trans in say 3-5 years... It's only going to get more difficult. I like my cars to last forever, but if parts become unavailable I'll be screwed. Might be time to start looking for a new car once I get it fixed. Really sux cuz I love my balt, but an STI certainly sounds more appealing in the long run haha.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SaberD
Yeah it's looking like I'm gonna get a low mileage f35 w lsd. Crazy how rare these things are. It has me concerned about where I'm going to get parts for the trans in say 3-5 years... It's only going to get more difficult. I like my cars to last forever, but if parts become unavailable I'll be screwed. Might be time to start looking for a new car once I get it fixed. Really sux cuz I love my balt, but an STI certainly sounds more appealing in the long run haha.
Yeah haha I feel you 100% if transmission are going to be this hard to find compared to a brand new one for 1200 bucks a year ago , you can say **** YOU GM and **** this platform

I am not spending 5k for a ******* 6 speed swap , or even 2900 for Powell to rebuild it. Stupid ******* SAAB parts

Can find Civic SI transmission all over the place. WTF is wrong with this scenario. You can find a BRAND NEW LDK crate engine for cheaper than a transmission. HAHA **** that.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gotta pay to play.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bmartz1991
Gotta pay to play.
HAHA I ******* love that phrase bro. You can get an entire LS v8 engine transmission setup out of a newer gen camaro for a couple grand more than an f40 swap BWAHAHHAHAHAA.

While I agree paying to play is not a problem for most enthusiasts like myself . When Paying double to play becomes the issue people get heated.

There are a lot of other options out there. Big power options that would cost a lot less in the long run with more durability and just plain options.

It has nothing to do with complaining about breaking components as much as it has to do with these things once were a very reasonable car to play with. It's not the case anymore , it has nothing going for it. I really feel for the people who bought 2010 cars. 4 years later parts scarcity is a nightmare some of them aren't even paid off yet. Poor sons of bitches.

FML

/end rant
Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
GOOD LUCK getting trans parts in the future..... input shaft and one or 2 of the gears are already discontinued.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 AM

turned out the roll pin was on its way out. It completely sheared and lost all gears the other day. $8 fix and now the trans shifts like new.