Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Humming....bearing or cv joint

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming....bearing or cv joint

Background: 08 the ss, bought used in '15 with 54k on the clock. No service history data available

A week ago I noticed a humming noise from the front end above 40mph. It got progressively louder over the following 3 days and I assumed it was a bad wheel bearing. Bought new bearings for both front wheels and installed them over the weekend. When removed the RF had a noticeable noise but the LF didn't. RF also appeared to have been replaced previously and came out relatively easily. RF appeared original and was a PITA to remove...very rusted and the time cover and abs sensor actually stayed in the spindle when the bearing was removed due to all the corrosion. I used a wire brush to clean up the spindle,but it still took some persuasion to get the bearing to seat in the spindle. Took it a for a quick test drive around town...no noise so figured problem solved.

Yesterday while driving on the highway a noise returned. The noise is not as loud but still a humming and appears to be coming from the LF. The noise does not change pitch at speed or while turning, just louder as speed increases (60-80mph)

Possible I damaged the bearing persuading it into the spindle or am I chasing the wrong part? Cv joint maybe?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
Do you have a LSD trans? It could be your diff. These trannies are just naturally noisy.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notice autocorrect got me...car is a hhr

No lsd