Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   KY 6 Puck Clutch Owners + Squeak (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/ky-6-puck-clutch-owners-squeak-279369/)

Frogstofall 05-23-2012 03:01 PM

KY 6 Puck Clutch Owners + Squeak

So after reading various posts, and making one of my own, I've noticed that I'm not the only one with a KY 6 puck clutch that makes a really loud squeak when the clutch engages. For me, it seems to mostly happen when the clutch engages in first gear and I begin to move from a dead stop. Rarely happens anywhere else. I didn't start to notice it until after installing Pedders springs. I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or the reason. Clutch has been in for about 3k miles.

If you have a squeak and you own this clutch, please post the details. I would like to know more about it and more importantly, figure out how to make it stop.

TheTruth7 05-23-2012 03:11 PM

Have the SAME problem. Will do in reverse as well.

09CobaltSS1 05-23-2012 05:06 PM

So far mine doesn't squeek, but I also only have 800 miles on the clutch so I guess only time will tell.

Unralated to the kys3, a buddy of mine has a spec 6 puck clutch (not sure if it's the 3+ or not) in his ion and holly jesus does that thing howl when he takes off from a stop.

LS6Rally 05-23-2012 05:23 PM

dont they squeak cause theyre not supposed to slip?

Frogstofall 05-23-2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by LS6Rally (Post 6505123)
dont they squeak cause theyre not supposed to slip?

Got me? I wasn't aware of that. I would assume as soon as its broken in it would squeak if that were the case but mine didn't start until about 1k miles ago.

If you post that yours squeaks, please give details on miles driven and also any other mods. I'm curious how many squeakers have lowering springs and if those that don't squeak are just new or at stock height.

Ch1ck3n 05-23-2012 05:49 PM

I have a spec 3+ and it squeaks if I don't rev match on a downshift or it's not warmed up. Never had an issue with the clutch so I never thought much of it.

Edit: I'm running pedders springs with fe5 struts and koni yellows in the rear. Big turbo setup.

RYRO14 05-23-2012 07:44 PM

My Clutchmasters stage 4 does the same thing and I was told it was the throwout bearing, so i replaced it with a brand new LNF TOB, and it still squeeks lol so I assume its normal because mine has been doing it for 10k.

Omiotek 05-23-2012 07:47 PM

i had a spec stage 3+ with their aluminum flywheel. never "squeeked" had some chatter from the flywheel and thats it.

Frogstofall 05-23-2012 08:45 PM

See.... I REFUSE to listen to that damn thing squeak every single time I move from a stop. It's like a runny faucet. It will drive me nuts.

Full face disc the only fix? Or is it the pressure plate clamping force causing this? Clutch material?

09CobaltSS1 05-23-2012 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Frogstofall (Post 6505403)
See.... I REFUSE to listen to that damn thing squeak every single time I move from a stop. It's like a runny faucet. It will drive me nuts.

Full face disc the only fix? Or is it the pressure plate clamping force causing this? Clutch material?

I believe it's a little of all the above but I'm pretty sure it's primarely disk material though. Organic disks tend to be a bit quieter then ceramic.

FrossB 05-24-2012 05:40 AM

My KY stage 3 squeeks a little from a dead stop in 1st. Only sometimes tho. But i have found that if i rev a little higher it doesn't squeek..like a few 100 rpms

Steviodaddio 05-24-2012 09:29 AM

My ZZP Stage 4 sometimes makes a tiny squeak after I release the clutch and it catches the gear, especially when you step on it or you don't have the shift synchronized. It's not all the time in mine which seems sounds like it's the same thing going on with yours so I'd assume this is normal.

willie_panic 05-24-2012 09:41 AM

I have a 6 puck ceramic clutch and it has been doing that for almost a year now. 1st and 2nd will squeak a little but never in 3rd or higher. It didn't do it at first only after 2,000 miles or so, or at least when I noticed it. I don't have any suspension mods just stock stuff.

Frogstofall 05-24-2012 09:15 PM

Good info everyone. Thanks for posting.

Bump.