Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Specific Technical Discussion > Drivetrain
KY Clutch - Official Release! >

KY Clutch - Official Release!

Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

KY Clutch - Official Release!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
  #151  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-05-10
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will ARP flywheel bolts clear the disc? or should i get oem?
AndrewSS/TC is offline  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 PM
  #152  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 10-24-08
Location: Vine Grove Kentucky
Posts: 12,838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest getting stock.
Chevycobaltss3 is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  #153  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-05-10
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3 View Post
I suggest getting stock.
any reason why?

received my clutch today. waiting on some other stuff and the time before it goes in.

James how are doing these without dropping the cradle?
AndrewSS/TC is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
  #154  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,261
Thanked 68 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3 View Post
I don't remove the cradle.
interested in how you do this as well.
CudaJoe is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
  #155  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 10-24-08
Location: Vine Grove Kentucky
Posts: 12,838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove drivers side cradle bolts and leave the passenger bolts 3/4 in. And remove cv axels and ect... I don't recommend any lighter flywheel on a dd car.
Chevycobaltss3 is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM
  #156  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
TurboTechRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-05
Location: On Here
Posts: 13,644
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
All kits shipped out! More ready to ship!
TurboTechRacing is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
  #157  
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Gremlin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-01-09
Location: Wheh ah we? MA.
Posts: 9,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stage 3 clutch goes in tomorrow. Delayed one day but you can't rush this stuff

I'm excited to be able to put down the power I actually have
Gremlin85 is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
  #158  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-13-09
Location: Davie, Fl
Posts: 2,954
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^x2
09BlueBaltSS is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
  #159  
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Gremlin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-01-09
Location: Wheh ah we? MA.
Posts: 9,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car is being worked on. I'll have it back tomorrow and give my initial response to feel and whatnot.

Break-in is 500+ miles so it'll be a few weeks before I can lay into it.
Gremlin85 is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
  #160  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
TurboTechRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-05
Location: On Here
Posts: 13,644
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Awesome! More shipping everyday!
TurboTechRacing is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM
  #161  
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Gremlin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-01-09
Location: Wheh ah we? MA.
Posts: 9,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Initial KY Stage 3 Clutch Review!

KY Stage 3 clutch is installed with new flywheel (stock), new throw out bearing and also TTR's Trans mounts.

It was about 23 degrees out when I first started it up and started to drive it. Initial clutch pedal feel was actually super light. I was shocked at how easy pushing the pedal was and it took a second to adjust. Initial engagement was just like stock but you can really feel the clutch engage. With it being so cold it definitely needed time to warm up.

After driving for about 5-10 minutes the clutch would engage and disengage pretty similar to stock. You can tell there is a lot more holding force which gives it a solid engagement feel and is pretty enjoyable.

I drove for about 20-25 miles and the clutch felt better and better as it started to warm up and begin the break in period of 500 miles.

This is a very streetable clutch and I can't wait to break it in fully and really get on it and see how it feels at the track and whatnot.

So even after such a short initial experience I was very happy with this clutch.

A great product!!!

As far as the mounts go, they increase vibrations slightly but not nearly as much as I was expecting. I heard expressions such as "there were such vibrations it would stir your coffee in the cup holder", but it felt nothing like that while I drove it. Again, I'm super happy!

Gremlin85 is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
  #162  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
TurboTechRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-05
Location: On Here
Posts: 13,644
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
KY Stage 3 clutch is installed with new flywheel (stock), new throw out bearing and also TTR's Trans mounts.

It was about 23 degrees out when I first started it up and started to drive it. Initial clutch pedal feel was actually super light. I was shocked at how easy pushing the pedal was and it took a second to adjust. Initial engagement was just like stock but you can really feel the clutch engage. With it being so cold it definitely needed time to warm up.

After driving for about 5-10 minutes the clutch would engage and disengage pretty similar to stock. You can tell there is a lot more holding force which gives it a solid engagement feel and is pretty enjoyable.

I drove for about 20-25 miles and the clutch felt better and better as it started to warm up and begin the break in period of 500 miles.

This is a very streetable clutch and I can't wait to break it in fully and really get on it and see how it feels at the track and whatnot.

So even after such a short initial experience I was very happy with this clutch.

A great product!!!

As far as the mounts go, they increase vibrations slightly but not nearly as much as I was expecting. I heard expressions such as "there were such vibrations it would stir your coffee in the cup holder", but it felt nothing like that while I drove it. Again, I'm super happy!



Thanks for the great review! KY clutches have really proven very well! Many make out poly mounts to have bad vibs, but the ones who use them find out this is not true! (Like you) I would not run my cobalt without them
TurboTechRacing is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 PM
  #163  
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Gremlin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-01-09
Location: Wheh ah we? MA.
Posts: 9,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing View Post
Thanks for the great review! KY clutches have really proven very well! Many make out poly mounts to have bad vibs, but the ones who use them find out this is not true! (Like you) I would not run my cobalt without them
I'm the skeptical type and I hesitated buying the clutch at all. I was going to go with another vendor but I couldn't pass up the price and the reviews from James (Chevycobaltss3).

I am very happy with my decision and I thank you for providing us with the clutches and giving me the deal on the Mounts.

Thank you!
Gremlin85 is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
  #164  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
TurboTechRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-05
Location: On Here
Posts: 13,644
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
That is GREAT to hear!
TurboTechRacing is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
  #165  
Junior Member
 
EvilleCobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-06
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered my stage 3 kit today! Just have to wait until it warms up now to install. After driving James' (ccss3) car I was sold on the KY clutch. Engagement felt great, similar to stock but with much more holding power obviously lol.
EvilleCobalt is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
  #166  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 10-24-08
Location: Vine Grove Kentucky
Posts: 12,838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lulz^^ hey guy!
Chevycobaltss3 is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
  #167  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
TurboTechRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-05
Location: On Here
Posts: 13,644
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilleCobalt View Post
Ordered my stage 3 kit today! Just have to wait until it warms up now to install. After driving James' (ccss3) car I was sold on the KY clutch. Engagement felt great, similar to stock but with much more holding power obviously lol.
Great to hear! Thanks again.
TurboTechRacing is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM
  #168  
Junior Member
 
EvilleCobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-06
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3 View Post
Lulz^^ hey guy!
Hey sexy, lol. Car is feeling great with the new tune
Can't wait to install the clutch and really start enjoying the car again. I hate having to baby it in 3rd gear to prevent slip. The boost ramp really helps out though.
EvilleCobalt is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 PM
  #169  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ATLsilverSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-22-09
Location: georgia
Posts: 1,567
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilleCobalt View Post
Hey sexy, lol. Car is feeling great with the new tune
Can't wait to install the clutch and really start enjoying the car again. I hate having to baby it in 3rd gear to prevent slip. The boost ramp really helps out though.
Im in the same boat.... mine might even slip in 2nd at wot...lol....tho mt stock clutch has 104k on it....its a fukin champ. Ky stg 3 and new flywheel sitting in my living room waiting installation!!!! Cang wait to see what this stocker looks like. 12k ago the dealer said the disc had very little material left on it and the flywheel was blued...lolol

Next....an E tune...then a bigger turbo
ATLsilverSS is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
  #170  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
TurboTechRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-05
Location: On Here
Posts: 13,644
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
More KY kits shipping!
TurboTechRacing is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 PM
  #171  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 10-24-08
Location: Vine Grove Kentucky
Posts: 12,838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweeeeet
Chevycobaltss3 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  #172  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-05-10
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to sell mine. Never even had a chance to put it in.
AndrewSS/TC is offline  
Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 AM
  #173  
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
turbosmart4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-12
Location: Alaska
Posts: 12,277
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilleCobalt View Post
Ordered my stage 3 kit today! Just have to wait until it warms up now to install. After driving James' (ccss3) car I was sold on the KY clutch. Engagement felt great, similar to stock but with much more holding power obviously lol.
Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3 View Post
Lulz^^ hey guy!
Originally Posted by EvilleCobalt View Post
Hey sexy, lol. Car is feeling great with the new tune
Can't wait to install the clutch and really start enjoying the car again. I hate having to baby it in 3rd gear to prevent slip. The boost ramp really helps out though.
lol these guys made me laugh
turbosmart4 is offline  
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 AM
  #174  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 10-24-08
Location: Vine Grove Kentucky
Posts: 12,838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You made me feel dirty turbo.. all dirty like a nun.... Haha jk
Chevycobaltss3 is offline  
Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 AM
  #175  
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
turbosmart4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-12
Location: Alaska
Posts: 12,277
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lolol guess that means u were the lady haha jk jk
turbosmart4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KY Clutch - Official Release!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.