Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   LNF Clutches, Holy Hell (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/lnf-clutches-holy-hell-245506/)

A8r9b 03-23-2011 02:33 PM

LNF Clutches, Holy Hell

So my clutch is starting to slip anymore. I thought I would see what you all go with once this happens. So far I've just seen the SPEC, ZZP, and Exedy clutches and I must say these make my Lotus and Evo clutches seem affordable. Is there ever, or would someone like to make a type of group buy for the clutches? Specifically ZZP.

I am trifecta tuned and make about 320whp and 370wtq so I require the stg 4 from zzp, costing around 775 without a t.o.b. Not to mention there are plans to make a tad more power so I gotta upgrade.

Compared to the cost of the car these clutch prices are ridiculous... Especially seeings how the stock clutch is only 250 bucks, plate and all.

So, how do you guys do it or what do you suggest?

northvibe 03-23-2011 02:34 PM

I have not needed a clutch but KY clutch was just recently talked about.....

Supercharged Guy 03-23-2011 02:37 PM

I've only heard things about the KY Clutches and the SPEC Clutches, both are pretty good Clutches

MS3 2 SSTC 03-23-2011 02:39 PM

KY clutches are good from what I've read.

HHRSSouth 03-23-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by A8r9b (Post 5653827)
So my clutch is starting to slip anymore. I thought I would see what you all go with once this happens. So far I've just seen the SPEC, ZZP, and Exedy clutches and I must say these make my Lotus and Evo clutches seem affordable. Is there ever, or would someone like to make a type of group buy for the clutches? Specifically ZZP.

I am trifecta tuned and make about 320whp and 370wtq so I require the stg 4 from zzp, costing around 775 without a t.o.b. Not to mention there are plans to make a tad more power so I gotta upgrade.

Compared to the cost of the car these clutch prices are ridiculous... Especially seeings how the stock clutch is only 250 bucks, plate and all.

So, how do you guys do it or what do you suggest?

Now you can understand why I scarfed up a NEW Spec 3+ and Spec flywheel for $590 shipped from a member.
My clutch aint slipping but no way I'm passing that deal up.

If you get a Spec clutch get a + model, they seem to have the least failure rate from everything i've read on the web.

A8r9b 03-23-2011 03:57 PM

Yea, not so bad. On ZZP's site I know they suggest against SPEC and Clutchmasters. I'll check out KY clutches here in just a few. Still crazy they cost so much. Surprised more people haven't had slipping issues with so many Trifecta tuned cars.

ctn2mb 03-23-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by A8r9b (Post 5654121)
Yea, not so bad. On ZZP's site I know they suggest against SPEC and Clutchmasters. I'll check out KY clutches here in just a few. Still crazy they cost so much. Surprised more people haven't had slipping issues with so many Trifecta tuned cars.

the KY clutch is 375~ shipped with the TOB.

A8r9b 03-23-2011 06:17 PM

I love the price of these KY clutches but price reminds me of the ACT's for evo's. Worked great for the first year then everyone found out the first line destroyed synchro's and don't release properly. Lots of banged up tranny's in the end.

I'm gonna shoot my order for the zzp, gotta trust the guys doing true R&D with high HP cars. Thanks for all the input guys.

Chevycobaltss3 03-23-2011 06:24 PM

Lol ky clutch makes there own friction disc and with most my cars ive owned i wnet to ky clutch..... ive never had a issue. i blew up two clutchmasters 6 pucks double sprung ceramic but not the ky clutch.

so id say ky clutch is a good point for u too look at. and price is the discounted price thanks to me.

JacBlackSS/TC 03-23-2011 06:44 PM

yeah i am gonna order my ky clutch in a week or so mine clutch slips if i am in too high a gear under 3k or so with my tune on but stock it doesn't at all

07SSYellow 03-23-2011 07:31 PM

so the ky clutches are worthy? im in need of a clutch soon too, 10k miles and mine is slipping with a trifecta tune also. not trifectas fault by any means but just for reference

SSPainter 03-23-2011 09:27 PM

I got a ZZP cause I only want to be in there once so i miles well get the best.

Turbo'dSS 03-23-2011 09:30 PM

After my E85 tune im going to see how the clutch does. if its slipping im going with KY clutch. i cant pass up that price.

ctn2mb 03-24-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 07SSYellow (Post 5654721)
so the ky clutches are worthy? im in need of a clutch soon too, 10k miles and mine is slipping with a trifecta tune also. not trifectas fault by any means but just for reference

ask vince to lower the boost in the mid range so you dont slip till you get a clutch

seeyaass 03-24-2011 05:22 PM

I have a stage3 clutchmaster, still brand new in the box thinking of selling it and and pickin up an excedy hipersingle

Chevycobaltss3 03-24-2011 05:27 PM

clutchmasters are junk. trust me BLEW TWO OF THEM UP..... Nothing on you for having one but i learned my lesson................ And about the hypersingle if your planning on power that is outragous and dont care about your tranny then go for the hyper single.

seeyaass 03-24-2011 05:33 PM

Lol it was just a thought. I haven't heard bad things bout clutchmaster or hypersingle

Chevycobaltss3 03-24-2011 05:45 PM

Well with the hypersingle, if your not planning on anything big there is no point for this clutch since it has a bad pedal pressure, bad engagemtn feel, and ect. The clutchmasters are good clutches somewhat to some power i guess but when i blow one friction disc up by the pads litterally flying off and the second one the internal springs grenaded then whats the point to even consider it. But yeahh

BartSS 03-25-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3 (Post 5657274)
Well with the hypersingle, if your not planning on anything big there is no point for this clutch since it has a bad pedal pressure, bad engagemtn feel, and ect. The clutchmasters are good clutches somewhat to some power i guess but when i blow one friction disc up by the pads litterally flying off and the second one the internal springs grenaded then whats the point to even consider it. But yeahh

I have the hypersingle and i love the pedal feel and it engages beautifully man

Chevycobaltss3 03-25-2011 11:25 AM

Yeah i understand but most people dont even need the hypersingle lol this is the point. And its not a good dd clutch. You might have the hyper but ive been around alot of clutches

seeyaass 03-25-2011 02:34 PM

I've heard good things and bad things about a lot of clutches know what I mean.. some people say spec is good some say its trash..I hear good things and bad things about a lot of them

BYT*SS*TURBO 03-29-2011 02:33 PM

The engagement is awesome the pedal is just stiff. I have one and can speak from personal experience and not just opinion..

Chevycobaltss3 03-29-2011 03:41 PM

Had a hypersingle and spec and the clutchmasters. ... Lol............ Stil not worth the money

BartSS 03-29-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO (Post 5668661)
The engagement is awesome the pedal is just stiff. I have one and can speak from personal experience and not just opinion..

Agreed. But i like the pedal feel. I hopped into one with a stock clutch and asked dude where his clutch is haha.

RooTBeeR 03-29-2011 04:01 PM

where can you find ky clutches?