Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Loud click after each gear change

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loud click after each gear change

Hi everyone,

I have a 08/ TC with only 743 miles on it. I have been noticing that everytime I shift into a new gear I hear a click. Is this normal for the F35? Also, what the max HP that is safe for this transmission? If I were to do mods, I don't want to over-do-it. Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM

well...clicking is very common on sc's, especially from reverse to forward gear and vice versa......sounds to me like it carried over to the tc's
Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its normal.

search.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

What kind of click.

I only hear a metal on metal clanking sound when shifting into 2nd gear from 1st. I don't get it because I have to let the clutch out really slow to prevent it.

1st-2nd gear will prolly always make that sound.. because your going from such a tight gear (1st) where your usually above 3k RPMs when u hit 2nd gear.

When I just shift my car into 2nd.. I hear it.. then when I engage the clutch ( let out) I hear it again.. unless I let up super slow.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM

i got the same stuff on my sc. it clicks all the time. always thought it was abnormal but i guess its normal.''

it couldnt be as bad as a 3 inch exhaust on a lowered balt tho it sucks but the performance and sound is all worth it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 PM

it'll click when you engage the clutch because of the backlash on the gears. your engine turns the wheels, when you depress the clutch the input shaft is spinning (this shaft has 1st and 2nd on it) and now when you put it into 2nd with the clutch still depressed, the input shaft is locked into the desired gear. whilst you're releasing the clutch, the engine now touches the clutch and slows down, or the transaxle speeds up until the clutch fully grabs and they're at the same speed. basic info, but it'll help explain this.

try and engage as perfectly as possible, gas a slight millisecond b4 your clutch touches and get in gear smoother. not saying it's driver error, but i get the clicking if i don't shift perfectly, and i shift very well. i get it occasionally.

this occurs because we have very light flywheels, and the engine will not resist a change in speed as well as a big v8 with a heavy flywheel. so the quick engine speed reduction, or the input shaft speed increase is a sign of quick engagement, which will cause the following scenario...

the clicking is the sound of the speed gears for 2nd gear, or any gear you're engaging for that matter. 2nd is more obvious because of the bigger difference in the gear ratio between 1st & 2nd. when you've put the shifter into 2nd with the clutch down, the tires are rotating the input shaft on the backlash side of the gears... aka, your tires are turning the tranny, not the tranny turning the tires. you're in 2nd, waiting for the clutch to be released and have the engine deliver power through the gears to your tires. when you release the clutch and now the engine is turning the gears, but on the other side of their teeth, this transition is the sound you hear. it's the sound of the gears engaging from one side back to the other, but with force.

a perfect shift reduces the shock of the input shaft's speed and reduces the chance you'll hear the sound. gives you a reason to perfect your shifts
Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM

Dude, awesome explanation ^^^^^, alright well when I get back from Sea(out in the Pacific) I will work on the shifting. I'm used to having a VW, you know how the car babies you and does all the work. Alright thank you again.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 AM

np. been getting analytical lately with my posts, using my automotive education for the better =P

if ur not in a rush, try depressing the clutch until your engine's rpm naturally drops to the desired rpm of the gear you're going into. i've been saving my clutch lately... also been experimenting the past 3 days with clutchless shifting, but only on upshifts not going to risk rev-matching with our sensative throttles.

it's been quite fun, and i no longer have to put more than normal shifting pressure on the lever to get it into gear. no grinding whatsoever. i was applying some force against the blocking ring to have it ready for when the blocking rings are at the same speed, but now i can preempt when to do it. try it sometime, you won't have to worry about clicking you won't even be using the clutch just from a dead stop.

edit: some1 said that it is common with our cars... it is, but it's the driver+tranny combo, not just the tranny. slip the clutch a tiiiny bit, not excessively but only as much as you need to make the shift smooth, but still quick. i always shift as quick as i smoothly can.

Last edited by SprChrg4Life; 09-17-2008 at 03:30 AM. Reason: added some info
Old 09-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 40rty
Hi everyone,

I have a 08/ TC with only 743 miles on it. I have been noticing that everytime I shift into a new gear I hear a click. Is this normal for the F35? Also, what the max HP that is safe for this transmission? If I were to do mods, I don't want to over-do-it. Thanks
I swear I was JUST about to ask this SAME question! Except I didn't start noticing it till now. Glad I finally have an explanation for it.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Glad to have a thread help somone out.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 40rty
Glad to have a thread help somone out.
hey hawaii dude get some pics of the balt with some nice hawaii scenery!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:56 PM

^^^^^

Haha, funny cause I'm just waiting to pull back in so I can take pictures of it at Ford Island for you guys next to the Arizona memorial. Plus there is the eastside of the island that has the highway on the coast. I will be getting that up soon. Shooting satellites and missile is not always fun.