Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/lsd-transmission-direct-bolt-lnf-327137/)

Eddy1634 11-23-2018 03:21 PM

Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf

My transmission went and I’ve been looking for a replacement but all I’ve found is a guy with a lsd transmission and just want to make sure this will bolt right up I already have a new clutch and flywheel to just want to make sure that I don’t need any special flywheel or anything to make it work

cw383 11-23-2018 03:56 PM

As long as its an F35 trans from Cobalt it should bolt right up. The 4.05 ratio in the supercharged cars is the preferable one, it will take more abuse. Dont forget new flywheel bolts as they are torque to yield and also a new throw out bearing and clutch pipe.

Eddy1634 11-23-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by cw383 (Post 7702986)
As long as its an F35 trans from Cobalt it should bolt right up. The 4.05 ratio in the supercharged cars is the preferable one, it will take more abuse. Dont forget new flywheel bolts as they are torque to yield and also a new throw out bearing and clutch pipe.

i bought the bolts, tob, and clutch pipe already so that’s taken care of so the transmission off a lsj cobalt just hook right up as well only difference being the gear ratios because I saw some local around me that were cheaper then that lsd so if that will work I might just pick up one of those

cw383 11-23-2018 04:37 PM

Is it your daily driver even in winter, or a summer only car? LSD makes a big difference come winter.

Eddy1634 11-23-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by cw383 (Post 7702992)
Is it your daily driver even in winter, or a summer only car? LSD makes a big difference come winter.

it’s my daily driver even in winter as well

63 Nova SS 11-23-2018 06:43 PM

I would get the trans with the lsd, regardless of the ratio.

Miltb 01-11-2019 11:25 AM

Also interested in this this thread as I'm wondering the specifis regarding putting an lsj f35 in an Lnf .... Like what clutch to use an etc! There was something that had different amount of bolts used etc. ???

63 Nova SS 01-11-2019 10:09 PM

You can put a 4.05 lsj trans in a lnf that came stock with a 3.82 setup. Clutches also interchange. The only issue is some lsj flywheels aren't bored exactly the same as a lnf. As long as you get a lnf flywheel everything will swap just fine. Personally if you aren't high hp the upgraded lsj clutch kit it a good kit also called gmpp. A stock lnf clutch setup is also very close and a good inexpensive clutch.

Miltb 01-14-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7705758)
You can put a 4.05 lsj trans in a lnf that came stock with a 3.82 setup. Clutches also interchange. The only issue is some lsj flywheels aren't bored exactly the same as a lnf. As long as you get a lnf flywheel everything will swap just fine. Personally if you aren't high hp the upgraded lsj clutch kit it a good kit also called gmpp. A stock lnf clutch setup is also very close and a good inexpensive clutch.

​​​​​​So basically I'll need:
​​​​​​- Lnf flywheel. I assume I'll need a new one when replacing the clutch.
- lnf TOB
- Bully stage 1 clutch for lnf.
AND THATS IT FOR SWAPPING??

also why does this site always auto-incorrect ????

ECaulk 01-14-2019 09:29 AM

flywheel bolts, clutch pipe.

You have to use a new flywheel, the tolerance for resurfacing is nothing.

Miltb 01-14-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk (Post 7705848)
flywheel bolts, clutch pipe.

You have to use a new flywheel, the tolerance for resurfacing is nothing.

Okay thanks. lnf bolts and clutch pipe? And lnf flywheel is best or bully flywheel?

Where can I find these parts and part numbers for all the parts needed??

63 Nova SS 01-14-2019 08:47 PM

What is a bully flywheel? Never heard of one. Just get an lnf flywheel off of ZZP. Or a luk flywheel from rock auto I believe. Make sure the kit you get includes pressure plate bolts and an alignment tool really helps also. Think the gmpp kit includes it if you decide to go away from the "bully" setup. Which again I've never heard of.

Miltb 01-14-2019 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7705900)
What is a bully flywheel? Never heard of one. Just get an lnf flywheel off of ZZP. Or a luk flywheel from rock auto I believe. Make sure the kit you get includes pressure plate bolts and an alignment tool really helps also. Think the gmpp kit includes it if you decide to go away from the "bully" setup. Which again I've never heard of.

Well I'm sure GMPP is good .... And if it includes most of the stuff I need for a decent piece than that may be the way to go .... Is it for the lsj or lnf??

http://www.bullyclutch.com

My friend has a bully on his 07 ion 2.4 and it's great.

Far right column is the part number for the flywheel.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...93b9d7c2e6.png

Miltb 01-25-2019 11:02 AM

K so .... What's the difference between part 55560938 (G85 4.05) and 55563239 (ditto) ....
apparently the latter part number replaces the former part number but it's the same thing.
Is there any differences?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...9e211005ee.jpg

Miltb 01-26-2019 03:27 PM

Bump
?
​​​​​​

63 Nova SS 01-26-2019 08:45 PM

Couldn't tell you, never purchased one from a company, only from a fellow cobalt owner. Where are you getting it from?

Miltb 01-27-2019 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7706454)
Couldn't tell you, never purchased one from a company, only from a fellow cobalt owner. Where are you getting it from?

I've bought the older version .... Just wonder if there's anything different. Regarding using it on my Lnf. Why was the part number changed if it's the same etc ??? ....
Basically the older version plate has no 4.05 printed on it.
Says LSD and part number though.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...683c7bb52d.jpg

63 Nova SS 01-27-2019 08:48 PM

Gear ratio should be in the gray area. Need to make sure it's from a cobalt as some of the early redline trans won't work. Use the search on here as I think there are some interchangeability topics. Something about the reluctor wheel not working with the speedometer setup in the cobalt.

Sharkey 01-27-2019 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7706499)
Gear ratio should be in the gray area. Need to make sure it's from a cobalt as some of the early redline trans won't work. Use the search on here as I think there are some interchangeability topics. Something about the reluctor wheel not working with the speedometer setup in the cobalt.

the 2004 ion redline did not have a vehicle speed sensor in the transmission, it was mounted on the steady bearing and the passenger side jack shaft had a reluctor on it that it. the 04 ion redline trans will not work in any 05+ cars. and no, running the 04 ion redline jackshaft assembly doesnt work, the reluctor wheel is a very different tooth count.

Miltb 01-28-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7706499)

Thanks I'll try and clean the plate a but more .... As well as the rest of the gross area.

It's from a G85 spec LSJ that was a numbered car and unfortunately got written off. It was an amazing blue color.
Thankfully I don't have to worry about it being from the slightly odd early redlines.