Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   Need help. clutch engaging very low. (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/need-help-clutch-engaging-very-low-263947/)

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 12:14 AM

Need help. clutch engaging very low.

alright, so my clutch engagement started to feel low, like almost to the floor all of a sudden. its very hard to get into gear now and i have no idea why.

at first i thought i had air in the system, so i bled the clutch. after i bled it, engagement was normal and everything was fine. after i drove around for 5 minutes, the engagement went right back down to the ground.

i bled the clutch 2 more times and both times the clutch engagement would go back to normal, then drop down to the ground again. no idea whats going on.

my friend who works on hondas says i could have a bad slave cylinder. im not too sure i might replace that.

anybody have any experience with this?

ATLsilverSS 10-23-2011 12:52 AM

i remember reading a thread where someone had this same issue after installing a new clutch. can't remember what the deal was tho

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 01:09 AM

hopefully i can get it figured out because its very annoying. i find it odd that it goes away after bleeding the clutch only to return like 5 mins later.

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 01:43 AM

bump for help.

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 11:52 AM

bump

Chevycobaltss3 10-23-2011 12:10 PM

to me just my 2 cents ure getting air bubbles so either the master or slave.... check for leaks. if no leaks the its the master

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 12:28 PM

is the master the one by the clutch pedal?

Chevycobaltss3 10-23-2011 01:12 PM

yes... i had a bad one and it was sucking air from the back

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 01:17 PM

luckily for me, its sunday and dealerships are closed so getting a new master cylinder is going to take a second.

but anyway, im about to check under the car to see if i have any fluid leaking. i doubt its the TOB tho, thank god, because i really dont feel like spending a whole day replacing something like that.

do you happen to know the part number for the master cylinder or if i could get it from napa?

Chevycobaltss3 10-23-2011 02:05 PM

yes most auto parts stores can get them i dunno about being in stock tho

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 03:57 PM

bump for more opinions/ help. just wanna be sure.

Chevycobaltss3 10-23-2011 05:10 PM

lol...... gosh. jk. its like this if u are pressing in the clutch after u bleed it with out moving the rpms and its fine for however long sounds like t.b but if u drive it and let the fluid get warmer it sounds like a bleeding slave.... torch it

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3 (Post 6113672)
lol...... gosh. jk. its like this if u are pressing in the clutch after u bleed it with out moving the rpms and its fine for however long sounds like t.b but if u drive it and let the fluid get warmer it sounds like a bleeding slave.... torch it

im not understanding what your saying. lol. does t.b = throw out bearing or what? and what do you mean by torch it?

Chevycobaltss3 10-23-2011 06:02 PM

torch it means blow ure car up. t.b means throw out bearing....... when the engine revs higher and for a perisod of distance itll get fluid warm so there for itll leak past somthing easier if so it can be found quickly.... if it doesnt do it if u say are on the interstate after 5 clutch depresses its more or less the throwout bearing because this is the unit that always has gravity on it. .. ( meaning the fluid coming down the line to the slave).

Cobalt_Daddy 10-23-2011 06:08 PM

sounds like you have a leak and are pulling air into your line..

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy (Post 6113748)
sounds like you have a leak and are pulling air into your line..

yea. its really pissing me off too. i can still drive the car but i dont want to ruin my trans. its so hard to get into gear, like shifting a tractor.

08SSTCRD 10-23-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI (Post 6113775)
yea. its really pissing me off too. i can still drive the car but i dont want to ruin my trans. its so hard to get into gear, like shifting a tractor.

Definitely NOT good for the trans, get that fixed ASAP.

As the others said, definitely a hydraulic issue. Either the master or slave is failing, causing the system to not hold pressure when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Dart_SI 10-23-2011 07:07 PM

yup. i will limp the car to the dealership tomarrow. ill have to get some time off work tho. luckily i have an srt4 to drive :D

but that car needs a new clutch very badly. lol. i need tax time to come around.