Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   Shifter won't move side to side in nuetral (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/shifter-wont-move-side-side-nuetral-327628/)

Miltb 04-14-2019 11:27 PM

Shifter won't move side to side in nuetral

Hello,

My cars sitting in a bay currently, waiting for me to do the timing chain .... Life got real busy so didn't have time for it yet.

Went to move it, just by rolling it and felt the shifter .... Shifter is stiff and will only slot up and down between 3rd and 4th .... Won't shift sideways in nuetral .... What happened?? Did someone reef on my transmission and I didn't notice? Or did letting it sit too long, stiffen up the fluid? .... It was fine before, drove fine to other than the timing rattle.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tried finding info on this, but seems it may be a unique problem ....

63 Nova SS 04-15-2019 05:58 AM

Sounds like your cables seized up.

Miltb 04-15-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7710250)
Sounds like your cables seized up.

Crap,
Dunno how that happened .... It's never been below zero, where I'm storing it .... Its in a bay.

How do I un-seize it?

63 Nova SS 04-15-2019 04:43 PM

Don't know that you can, without replacing them. When cars set for long periods these kind of things happen sometimes. You could always disengage the cables from the shifter to see if you can pull them by hand. That would allow you to check the shifter out at the same time.

Miltb 04-16-2019 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7710301)
Don't know that you can, without replacing them. When cars set for long periods these kind of things happen sometimes. You could always disengage the cables from the shifter to see if you can pull them by hand. That would allow you to check the shifter out at the same time.

I see .... Could have just rusted or something ....

Ya I'm gonna disconnected the cable to isolate the issue to make sure it's the cables

hrspwrjunkie 04-16-2019 03:37 PM

I've had good luck using Boeshield T-9 to loosen up stuck sheathed cables.

If that's the problem, you might give that a shot if you don't want to spend the cost to replaced them.

cobaltssdude420 05-02-2019 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Miltb
Hello,

My cars sitting in a bay currently, waiting for me to do the timing chain .... Life got real busy so didn't have time for it yet.

Went to move it, just by rolling it and felt the shifter .... Shifter is stiff and will only slot up and down between 3rd and 4th .... Won't shift sideways in nuetral .... What happened?? Did someone reef on my transmission and I didn't notice? Or did letting it sit too long, stiffen up the fluid? .... It was fine before, drove fine to other than the timing rattle.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tried finding info on this, but seems it may be a unique problem ....

Happened to me and it was one of the cables. Just seized to shit. Even when I took it out, i tried spraying it and getting it to move but it was shot. Dirt and shit gets trapped inside of it