Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   switching to rear wheel (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/switching-rear-wheel-258956/)

TexasCobaltSS/TC 08-19-2011 01:37 PM

switching to rear wheel

so im planing to deploy to afghanistan next july, and when i come back ill have a sizable chunk of cash in the bank and was thinking about putting it into my car. i bought my 2010 cobalt ss for two reasons: its power and price. the only thing close to it was the new genesis coupe and it was only at 218 bhp, but it had rear wheel drive. all my other cars have been rear wheel and i miss it so i want to switch, but that means putting in a new engine with it. my buddy was saying i should get a modded one like his g8 has with the bottom of an ls2 and the top of an ls3, but i dont think that would fit. anyways does anyone know if it would, or have a better suggestion? as for the transmission ill get one that goes with the engine obviously but i would like input on rear wheel or four wheel drive. thanks guys.

RHZ 08-19-2011 01:39 PM

Dude if you want RWD on your cobalt just stop and buy a corvette instead.

BPacak 08-19-2011 01:40 PM

in for the lulz

SKCobalt 08-19-2011 01:44 PM

It will be pretty pricy to do the RWD conversion if this is what you are talking about. Lots of work but if you put in the time and money it is possible. There will be a lot of custom fabrication and troubleshooting to get everything to work properly.

07MetallicSC 08-19-2011 01:53 PM

Trade it in for a solstice. Rwd. Same motor, problem solved. If you'll have a sizeable check you wont mind the negative for the trade in. Your best bet imo

CCrunner84 08-19-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC (Post 5994576)
Trade it in for a solstice. Rwd. Same motor, problem solved. If you'll have a sizeable check you wont mind the negative for the trade in. Your best bet imo

Or the Saturn Sky Redline, even looks like a little Corvette.

D1sclaimer 08-19-2011 02:04 PM

You're from Texas. Buy a lifted truck.

addikt 08-19-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by D1sclaimer (Post 5994614)

I laughed out loud. Im from Texas btw.

MastaShaKe_88 08-19-2011 02:22 PM

Lol jus trade the balt in for an 09 sky redline an call it a day

MadBrad 08-19-2011 02:29 PM

"Yehaw I is going to get them there truck and lift it." :thumbsdow:lol:

Only thing a lifted truck is good for is running it off a cliff. 80% of the people around here that have lifted trucks are idiots and or are tools.

MadBrad 08-19-2011 02:33 PM

For OP the Genesis will have a larger aftermarket scene than the SS would ever have. Plus it is already RWD.

ilovecars 08-19-2011 03:19 PM

if you really want to go through with it youll probably be best to use one of the solstice or sky rwd trans missions and axles. youll need a fuck on of custom work.

Dart_SI 08-19-2011 03:45 PM

Buy a c5 vette. I drove riles vette (elite cyborg) and it was fun as he'll. Im not ditching the balt tho.

CobaltVenomSS 08-19-2011 03:49 PM

we dont have trucks...we have horses and dirt roads

RYRO14 08-19-2011 05:00 PM

I would honestly trade the balt in and get a C5 ZO6, you can get them fairly cheap for what they are and have a huge aftermarket plus RWD. Or get a Sky Redline.

LS6Rally 08-19-2011 05:05 PM

09 Solstice Coupe! or a vette.

Personally i need to have more than just 2 seats, maybe a 5th gen Camaro?

Sharkey 08-19-2011 10:06 PM

its is possible, there are a lot of cobalt drag cars out there running the the stock eliminator. basicly they cut the entire front end out and put track only stuff in, then cut the back out and put a 4 link and a 9" ford rear in. follow that up with doing all the sheet metal work, throw in your choice of motor and trans. everything custom, basicly a cobalt body and interior (or what you choose to keep of the interior). my best guess to get it to a rolling chassis is around $40k, then add powertrain. itll go in a straight line great, however dont expect to corner well.

just look up "stock eliminator cobalt" on google, you will find hundreds of them.

so now that you have thought about it, be happy with your cobalt being fwd, or trade it in for something that is rwd.

hydroturboss 08-19-2011 10:14 PM

do it man, be a pioneer........DO AWD!!!! ya then make a post and show everyone how to do it, like GM should have!!

guitarenvy 08-19-2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadBrad (Post 5994680)
"Yehaw I is going to get them there truck and lift it." :thumbsdow:lol:

Only thing a lifted truck is good for is running it off a cliff. 80% of the people around here that have lifted trucks are idiots and or are tools.

Or for people who hunt, fish and live in rural areas like myself.
I think you're describing yourself in that post, bud.

and keeping on topic, Z06 would be a great investment with that extra cash you have. Hell of a lot of power for the money.

MadBrad 08-20-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by guitarenvy (Post 5995772)
Or for people who hunt, fish and live in rural areas like myself.
I think you're describing yourself in that post, bud.

and keeping on topic, Z06 would be a great investment with that extra cash you have. Hell of a lot of power for the money.

No sir, I am not a tool or an idiot. Trucks are just not my cup of tea. A truck to me (my opinion) should be used for work. Not to be show boated around with a 6" lift kit (if only the people knew the extra amount of stress they are putting on there drive shaft now), larger diameter wheels, and going 20 mph over the speed limit weaving in and out of traffic (please don't come back with the argument that the tuner scene does this also).

BlueStang 08-20-2011 10:00 AM

Gee I don't know just about every Cobalt I see on the road the Person driving it is speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, and being a general asshat

F_Imports_09tc 08-20-2011 10:06 AM

Someone already made a rwd cobalt on here, victoryredss IIRC. Lots of money, a few years of time. More trouble than its worth

MadBrad 08-20-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by demento (Post 5996251)
Gee I don't know just about every Cobalt I see on the road the Person driving it is speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, and being a general asshat

Just more of that "I don't care attitude" people have. Please reread comment about counter arguments for other vehicles.

mexi_loco 08-20-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by F_Imports_09tc (Post 5996254)
Someone already made a rwd cobalt on here, victoryredss IIRC. Lots of money, a few years of time. More trouble than its worth

this. and might i add that no one is going to start a "save your rwd project" fund when you run into trouble.

DaBuzzard 08-22-2011 04:46 PM

If you're gonna do it, do it right - mid engine rwd :twothumbs:

Won't have a back seat but it would be one of a kind :)