Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Aftermarket Lsd

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Lsd

I have an 06 ss/sc without a limited slip differential. I was wondering how much it would cost to put one in and if itd be worth the money? all input is appreciated thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 PM

$1500.

Quaife
Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Otherwise Brian from "Team Green" manufactures an AWESOME LSD kit (Phantom Grip Style) but better.

They are made from 01 tool steel, which are machined, hardened and surface ground, at a VERY low price.

They have been a great mod for Getrag Cavalier owners, he has one for the F35 also we believe....

Here is his contact info:

http://www.j-body.org/members/speedracer/

If you have any questions about them PM us.

Also we carry the Quaife, as we are a direct dealer for them, PM us if you are interested in one.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo tech is too polite. Quaife period. end of story. none better. none stronger. none simpler
get Aaron to give you the best price possible and then pay the man to put it in. you will LOVE it..:: twothumbs:
Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Otherwise Brian from "Team Green" manufactures an AWESOME LSD kit (Phantom Grip Style) but better.

They are made from 01 tool steel, which are machined, hardened and surface ground, at a VERY low price.

They have been a great mod for Getrag Cavalier owners, he has one for the F35 also we believe....

Here is his contact info:

http://www.j-body.org/members/speedracer/

If you have any questions about them PM us.

Also we carry the Quaife, as we are a direct dealer for them, PM us if you are interested in one.
Can you kinda give me an idea on how much his cost. Not the quaife the other one.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by invisible
Can you kinda give me an idea on how much his cost. Not the quaife the other one.
I think they are about $250-275 + ship....
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 AM

i see those obx lsd's on ebay alot anybody know if they are good...junk?....anybody have one in their ss?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:06 AM

I've heard of them grenading in some tranny's. Basically I have been told to stay away from them.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by sschevy25
i see those obx lsd's on ebay alot anybody know if they are good...junk?....anybody have one in their ss?
Replace the spring washers and fasteners, and they are fine.
It;s not a fun task, but if you know what your doing, it can save you a lot of cash.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM

have you used one in yours?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
The shop time for installing a LSD is about 10 hours, so calculate that into the your cost when deciding if it is worth it to you.
I am having one installed next week into my "new to me" daily driver SS/SC
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Deathscythe
have you used one in yours?
Not yet.

I've rebuilt a few of them for a few of my buddies (Honda crew). They are pretty easy once you've done a few.

The problem is that the bellville washers that OBX uses can't even handle the stresses of shipping, let alone driving. That's why most are DOA in the package.
The solution is to replace the washers with standard bellville washers from Spaenaur, or McMaster-Carr.

Here is the how that I learned from.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1752849

Also, it's a good idea to de-burr the crap out of the thing, as you don't want any chunks falling off and causing your tranny to implode...
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556
Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 AM

OK that makes sense. I have seen the opposite but from the same crowd. Honda owners that have transmissions that look like sand formations because of these lsd's
Old 03-19-2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
Not yet.

I've rebuilt a few of them for a few of my buddies (Honda crew). They are pretty easy once you've done a few.

The problem is that the bellville washers that OBX uses can't even handle the stresses of shipping, let alone driving. That's why most are DOA in the package.
The solution is to replace the washers with standard bellville washers from Spaenaur, or McMaster-Carr.

Here is the how that I learned from.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1752849

Also, it's a good idea to de-burr the crap out of the thing, as you don't want any chunks falling off and causing your tranny to implode...
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556
I completely agree. They are actual quality pieces as long as you disassemble them, clean them and reassemble them with the Bellevilles in the correct order for maximum pressure.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 AM

I'm not that familiar with transmission work, but why does it take so long to get to where the lsd would go?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deathscythe
I'm not that familiar with transmission work, but why does it take so long to get to where the lsd would go?

The Engine and Trans Have to be removed... Separated and then reinstalled..

10 hours is a PRO who is familiar with the process..

If you get a BUMKIN to do it, it will be much longer..
Old 03-19-2008, 03:59 PM

Brian MP5T is right 100% It makes me laugh, the work to remove disassenble and reassemble is the same (plus parts) but now you are going to consider saving 500 bucks but you may have to buy some new belleville washers from Spaenaur to make it the el cheapo (less than) limited slip diff., right, and then maybe it will hold up? Give yourself a shake pay Aaron for a Quaife or forget it. Go big or go home...

am I sorry to be rude? no wait a minute, I am not sorry the road to hell is paved with guys honestly tyring to save a buck but then in the end they will spend more dealing with the rotten result of too cheap. YOu get nothing for nothing. So: Aaron. Quaife. Next?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
Brian MP5T is right 100% It makes me laugh, the work to remove disassenble and reassemble is the same (plus parts) but now you are going to consider saving 500 bucks but you may have to buy some new belleville washers from Spaenaur to make it the el cheapo (less than) limited slip diff., right, and then maybe it will hold up? Give yourself a shake pay Aaron for a Quaife or forget it. Go big or go home...

Ummm... Brain was referring to the transmission.
The diff is actually very easy to take apart and put back together. You just need to have patience.

Either way, your going to have to dick around with ripping the tranny down to get the dif in there.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM

If i did decide to get a limited slip would it void my warranty if i have tranny problems. Or would the dealer even notice?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM

The diff is actually very easy to take apart and put back together. You just need to have patience.

Either way, your going to have to dick around with ripping the tranny down to get the dif in there.
Omega 5 what planet are you from? NO disrespect but if we are talking LSJ the diff can only be installed with a COMPLETE transmission DISASSEMBLE.... yup thats right right down to the last nut and bolt. Make sure you like up the shift levers when you are done before you put it in the car...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
Omega 5 what planet are you from? NO disrespect but if we are talking LSJ the diff can only be installed with a COMPLETE transmission DISASSEMBLE.... yup thats right right down to the last nut and bolt. Make sure you like up the shift levers when you are done before you put it in the car...

Ummm... so disrespect, but did you even read a damn thing that I wrote?
Please read before posting n00b!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 PM

My name is "BRIAN" and I was referring to the Diff, which can't come out until the Trans is out.

Please refrain from speaking on my behalf...
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
My name is "BRIAN" and I was referring to the Diff, which can't come out until the Trans is out.

Please refrain from speaking on my behalf...
A) Quick typing... sorry..
B) Sure sounds like your talking about the tranny having to be removed....
Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
The Engine and Trans Have to be removed...
C) Stop being a ******* troll on here.... all you have done in the past 3 weeks is bitch about ****... a polite "No, I was actually talking about something else" would have done, as opposed to the ******* Mazda-driver **** "refrain from speaking on my behalf".

... ok... bye bye now...

------------------------------------------------

Ok... while I'm waiting for people to type rude replies... lets clear up this thread

1) If you don't like the OBX, don't buy it
2) If you do buy it, replace the spring washers and fasteners
3) Replacing said components is easy f you take your time and follow instructions
4) You have to remove the tranny from the car to install the diff
5) You have to slit the tranny to install the diff
6) Golden rule -> If you don't know what your doing.... don't do it. Take it to a shop and save yourself the pain and trouble.

Last edited by Omega_5; 03-19-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sschevy25
They had a huge application issue, they didnt even know what they fit. They listed some F23 getrag tranny ones, and they were actually teh F35 getrag... They had a mess, not sure if they even figured it out. I would stay away just for that reason, if they dont know what it is for, how can they make it right?!?! LOL
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jvc06sc
If i did decide to get a limited slip would it void my warranty if i have tranny problems. Or would the dealer even notice?
Yes and yes.

I had even asked GM about buying the Quaife through them, and have them install it and still the answer was, no transmission warranty.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Lsd