Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Transmission suddenly lost all gears. Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Transmission suddenly lost all gears. Looking for advice

I have an 08 SS/TC with the f35 with an lsd. My trans has never had any problems before nor has it shown signs of having problems. The clutch has never slipped and the trans has never had a problem getting into any gear, no grinding or anything. The car is not tuned. mods to the trans are a twm short shifter and it may have an aftermarket clutch as is doesnt feel as soft as the stock clutches I've driven but it definitely isn't pucked. So what happened is I was just about to get home from driving from Chicago, about an hour drive. I literally made it all the way back to my street, then as I went to downshift to second to turn, the rpms just shot up like it was in neutral. I tried third, but the same thing happened. I stopped, then tried to put it in first, but at this point I could just freely spin the shifter around in a complete circle without it finding any gear. It happened all of a sudden with no warning. I checked the cable clamps but they were both connected and moving around like normal. I had the car towed to my local trusted independent mechanic through insurance but they said they have to send it to a trans shop and the trans shop said they need $900 bucks just to open the trans up to figure out what the issue could possibly be. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong. I tried to give as detailed an explanation as possible but if anyone has any questions I could answer those to the best of my ability. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
if the shifter moves around freely the shifter roll pin on the outside of the trans broke. there are hundreds of posts about this, have a look around. if your able to do it yourself its a $0.50 part. for a shop to do it, its likely an hour labor.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
No loss of clutch pressure?

Are the cables on the transmission?

The cable holding bracket attached?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
No loss of clutch pressure?

Are the cables on the transmission?

The cable holding bracket attached?
Yeah, no loss of clutch pressure and all cables are attched, I'm gonna check out the roll pin suggestion above. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
if the shifter moves around freely the shifter roll pin on the outside of the trans broke. there are hundreds of posts about this, have a look around. if your able to do it yourself its a $0.50 part. for a shop to do it, its likely an hour labor.
The research I've been doing made me think it's the throw out bearing but after looking into it, your suggestion makes a lot more sense. Where the car is right now, any diagnosis of the problem is free as long as I get it fixed there but it's gonna be $100 bucks if I pick it up without them fixing it. I'm gonna call and bring up the roll pin problem and if that's it, I'll just have them fix it as an hour of labor would be the cheapest route. Thanks for the suggestion, you might have just saved me a lot of money. I was starting to look at used non lsd transmissions just to get the car rolling again....
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Gotta be a roll pin. Also pull your cup holder out and make sure your clamps on the cables by the shifter are intact.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Gotta be a roll pin. Also pull your cup holder out and make sure your clamps on the cables by the shifter are intact.
clamps are good, first thing I checked but the car had the bps cable clamp when I bought it so I don't think that would break anyway. Thanks