Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Dyno Results (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno-results-170/)
-   -   Damn clutch! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno-results-170/damn-clutch-230364/)

CurrentlyPissed 10-08-2010 08:11 PM

Damn clutch!

Well I managed to put down 299/334 on a Dynojet with only 15lbs of boost :cool:

Went to try the comp mode (TF/HP combo) and as soon as I hit around 3500RPMs the clutch spun and wouldn't hold :thumbsdow

Damn clutch! Ordering a Clutchmasters Stage 4. Looking forward to see what it puts down at 24PSI if it did 299/334 on just 15psi :beer: Hoping for maybe a new stock turbo record?

imphat0260 10-08-2010 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 5284940)
Well I managed to put down 299/334 on a Dynojet with only 15lbs of boost :cool:

Went to try the comp mode (TF/HP combo) and as soon as I hit around 3500RPMs the clutch spun and wouldn't hold :thumbsdow

Damn clutch! Ordering a Clutchmasters Stage 4. Looking forward to see what it puts down at 24PSI if it did 299/334 on just 15psi :beer: Hoping for maybe a new stock turbo record?

As soon as it started to pull, I knew what was up... Dyno started to look like a lil kid with crayons.... Either way, it was kool hanging out and listing to the "mustang" guys picking up their cars..... Bunch of cheap asses.... Also, I would highly recommend getting the ZZP/Southbend clutch....

gdubs 10-08-2010 10:45 PM

It is strongly advised against to go with a "puck" type clutch. With our weak tranny casing it twists the whole tranny and you could be looking at some major expensive repairs.

be weary.

this is 170% over stock... do the math. Stock clutch is rated at 350wtq

350 + 170% (595) = 945 wtq...........OVERKILL

go with a stage 2. 350 + 70%( 245 )= 545 more than enough

CurrentlyPissed 10-09-2010 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by gdubs (Post 5285174)
It is strongly advised against to go with a "puck" type clutch. With our weak tranny casing it twists the whole tranny and you could be looking at some major expensive repairs.

be weary.

this is 170% over stock... do the math. Stock clutch is rated at 350wtq

350 + 170% (595) = 945 wtq...........OVERKILL

go with a stage 2. 350 + 70%( 245 )= 545 more than enough

Ah ok thanks

And ryan i looked st the zzp but the clutchmasters seems to be equally rated in quality. Think im gonna give it a shot so we can see how it is. Can always replace it. This way we know what each is like.

Ps you guys gonna help install it? Lol

imphat0260 10-09-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 5285379)
Ah ok thanks

And ryan i looked st the zzp but the clutchmasters seems to be equally rated in quality. Think im gonna give it a shot so we can see how it is. Can always replace it. This way we know what each is like.

Ps you guys gonna help install it? Lol

I can help ya with install....

babyCobaltss 10-09-2010 10:09 AM

Anyone here from Northwest indiana? Like South Bend?

Chevycobaltss3 10-09-2010 10:22 AM

I'm from northern ky.

gdubs 10-09-2010 10:25 AM

i can give u the step by step instruct from GN if you need.

Just a little history. "puck" type clutches were first used in 18 wheelers. reason being is because they grab like no tomorrow. 18 wheelers needed this type of clutch because the weight they would haul was causing their clutches to slip. On most cars puck clutches are way over kill. there was recently just a thread on here where someone NLS into third, with a clutchmasters stage 4, and blew his 3rd gear. He said that it was only like his 4th time ever NLS. There was also tranny fluid leaking all over the place. Thus proving that he twisted his tranny casing. Now he had other mods that contributed to this, such as, Stronger motor and tranny mounts. Everything in our cars is designed, and all cars, to absorb the torque of the engine. you start changing these parts out and u will find your weakest link. But the stage 2 is more than you will need unless you are planning on turning your car into a drag car.

imphat0260 10-09-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by gdubs (Post 5285764)
i can give u the step by step instruct from GN if you need.

Just a little history. "puck" type clutches were first used in 18 wheelers. reason being is because they grab like no tomorrow. 18 wheelers needed this type of clutch because the weight they would haul was causing their clutches to slip. On most cars puck clutches are way over kill. there was recently just a thread on here where someone NLS into third, with a clutchmasters stage 4, and blew his 3rd gear. He said that it was only like his 4th time ever NLS. There was also tranny fluid leaking all over the place. Thus proving that he twisted his tranny casing. Now he had other mods that contributed to this, such as, Stronger motor and tranny mounts. Everything in our cars is designed, and all cars, to absorb the torque of the engine. you start changing these parts out and u will find your weakest link. But the stage 2 is more than you will need unless you are planning on turning your car into a drag car.

Don't necessarily agree with all that..... BTW, GM tech for over 15 years. Don't need the instructions....

gdubs 10-09-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by imphat0260 (Post 5285789)
Don't necessarily agree with all that..... BTW, GM tech for over 15 years. Don't need the instructions....

please explain which parts you dont agree with.

glhs379 10-11-2010 04:12 PM

I have a cm 6 puck. No issues here.