Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket Head Unit Install Questions

Old 08-01-2005, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Head Unit Install Questions

Has anyone put a aftermarket head unit in their SS with the factory Pioneer system? I have a deck to put in but what am I going to lose when I put it in? I know I'll lose the steering wheel controls but will I lose Onstar and the door chim or the info center on the dash? And is there a factory amp in the car? Will the a aftermarket decks speaker wires still make it work correctly?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluebaltSS
Has anyone put a aftermarket head unit in their SS with the factory Pioneer system? I have a deck to put in but what am I going to lose when I put it in? I know I'll lose the steering wheel controls but will I lose Onstar and the door chim or the info center on the dash? And is there a factory amp in the car? Will the a aftermarket decks speaker wires still make it work correctly?
Ok, you will not lose the steering wheel controls if you buy a cheap adapter fround PAC www.pac-audio.com. Yeah, I have been searching for an Onstar harness for awhile and I called PAC, Metra, and Scosche yesterday and none of them even have plans for making one yet. I say screw the Onstar and just don't connect it. You will not lose the door chime or the info on the dash since this is a GM-LAN based system and not a Class 2 like the previous models. I believe you would lose the info only in a new Malibu or G6 but not the Cobalt. So basically when you install your system you will lose the Onstar and thats pretty much it.