Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Electronics, Audio, and Video (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/)
-   -   Braille Batteries (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/braille-batteries-318465/)

insylem 07-26-2015 06:55 PM

Braille Batteries

Does anyone have a Braille Battery in their car?

What do you think of them? I did a search and saw Spank has one, but he hasn't logged in since July of 2013, so I don't think I'll get a replay from him.

AaronJ 07-26-2015 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by insylem (Post 7550052)
Does anyone have a Braille Battery in their car?

What do you think of them? I did a search and saw Spank has one, but he hasn't logged in since July of 2013, so I don't think I'll get a replay from him.

I ran a Braille battery in my Cobalt back in the day for a couple of years without issue. I was running it in the Solstice, but now that it's getting to be an older battery (4 years old), it doesn't seem to perform like it used to so I have since swapped back to my stock battery. I ran the B2015 battery. I liked it, it offered a huge weight savings over the stock 35 lb battery. The only time I ran into trouble was when it started to get cold out. When it dropped to around the low 40's, it would struggle to start the car. It is definitely not a year round battery, or at least not that size. I always stored my Cobalt over the winter so I never had much issue except when it was getting time for me to put the car away :lol:.

TL/DR edition: I ran one, liked it. Very light, but doesn't like the cold.

insylem 07-28-2015 05:28 PM

Was this the lithium ion ones? How did it handel the charging? I asked the same question about the Jeeps in the Jeep forum and one guy said that the automotive chariging system doesnt work well on Lithium batteries.

Also, the guy at the booth for Brail at Oshkosh told me that in the cold you need ot turn on some lights to 'warm up' the battery before trying to start. But if it performed poorly at 40F I'd hate to have one in Wiscosin. Thanks for the input.

AaronJ 07-28-2015 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by insylem (Post 7550731)
Was this the lithium ion ones? How did it handel the charging? I asked the same question about the Jeeps in the Jeep forum and one guy said that the automotive chariging system doesnt work well on Lithium batteries.

Also, the guy at the booth for Brail at Oshkosh told me that in the cold you need ot turn on some lights to 'warm up' the battery before trying to start. But if it performed poorly at 40F I'd hate to have one in Wiscosin. Thanks for the input.

The B2015 model I ran was an AGM lead battery. I charged mine a couple times with a trickle charger, seemed to work just fine.

It is a very undersized battery :lol:, at 15 lbs it only has just over 1000 pulse cranking amps. I'm sure if you ran a slightly larger one it would work better but I still wouldn't trust it in the middle of winter. If it's something you just want to run at the track or in the summer for the weight savings, then I'd recommend it.

Where in WI are you from?

insylem 07-29-2015 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by AaronJ (Post 7550735)
Where in WI are you from?

I Just moved to Waukesha Wi from Enterprise Al a few months ago. I'm staying with my sister for now until I get my own place. Hopefully in two months as I have an accepted offer on a house I'm looking to buy. Tomarrow is the home inspection. :) :twothumbs