Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

High Brake Light Struggles

Old 08-17-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Brake Light Struggles

Firstly, apologies if this has been covered before somewhere. I couldn't find anything about it.

Here's the run down:

2008 Cobalt LS

Problem Summary: The high brake light will not work consistently. If I have someone press the brake, I can get the lights to function while pressing them in, but once I let go they shut off.

Details/Troubleshooting: I recently obtained this car and when I got it, all three bulbs were burned out or missing. Went to AutoZone to get new ones. I got Sylvania 912s as recommended by their website. The old ones had no markings on them, so I can only assume that AutoZone is selling the correct ones. They appear to at least be close in physical appearance. Once I tried them and they did not work without persuasion, I hit up the local junk yard and grabbed a replacement socket to rule that out, still the same issue.

Anyone else run into this? Other ideas that I might try? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
You've got an open circuit somewhere. Apparently pushing on the housing closes it, so it's probably close to the housing. Grab a multimeter or an ohmmeter and test the wire leading to the housing for continuity. Test the plug of the housing to see if it's internal to the light housing. It's somewhere over there.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did check the voltage at the connector, and I am getting steady voltage. I would assume at this point that the only open circuit could be in the housing itself. I did replace the housing (albeit with a used part, but really what are the odds both are bad.) to try and rule that out.

I will try pressing on the housing only when I am able to this evening. So far I have only been pressing directly on the bulbs themselves. It's almost as like they won't actually seat themselves all the way.

Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know the results when I can.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Try cleaning the pins on both sides with brake parts cleaner and a soft brush(tooth brush). I actually got fed up with my connector falling out and glued it into the housing. Never stopped working again.

Search this Thread