Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

OEM '08 radio swap to OEM '09 radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM '08 radio swap to OEM '09 radio

I have a 2008 Cobalt Sport with the Pioneer system. I want to swap the radio for the 2009-2010 OEM radio that has the USB port on it. My current radio is silver, so I want to go with another silver radio. Is part # 28179863 the correct part #? Its definitely a silver 2009-2010 model radio with USB, option code UUI, but is this the one for the Pioneer system?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Just wanted to add another note. The listing for the radio in question also shows GM part #20789372 for the same unit. Don't know if maybe one was the Chevy part # and the other the Pontiac part #?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 PM

OK, I've been searching the web for further info, and I think I've answered my own question. So now I'm posting back just to update the thread with the info I've found.

20789372 is the correct part # for a silver UUI radio with the USB port. There is no difference between the Pioneer and base speaker setups, they still use the same radio. So the only radio differences are with USB or without, and whether its black or satin nickel.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boxeat2469
OK, I've been searching the web for further info, and I think I've answered my own question. So now I'm posting back just to update the thread with the info I've found.

20789372 is the correct part # for a silver UUI radio with the USB port. There is no difference between the Pioneer and base speaker setups, they still use the same radio. So the only radio differences are with USB or without, and whether its black or satin nickel.

correct. I have a tech2 and have programmed these radios. the 07-10 radios detect an installed amp and set speaker output to low level. if an amp isn't detected, the inbuilt amp is used.

on the 05-06 radios, you have to set UQ3(amplified) or UQ4(non-amplified) when programming the radio.

If there is a BCM year lock when they go to program the radio, make sure they build the car in the Tech2 to whatever year the radio is and not the year of your car.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 PM

rains_crusader,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. The radio I'm purchasing is a brand new one, so there is no previous VIN married to it. Will I need any dealer programming, or will it just work? I assumed it would just work.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM

rains_crusader,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. The radio I'm purchasing is a brand new one, so there is no previous VIN married to it. Will I need any dealer programming, or will it just work? I assumed it would just work.

It will work. once you install it and turn the key, your VIN will be learned.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Sweet! That's how thought it would go, but its damn nice to get confirmation!

On another note, do you know whether the USB port on these plays nice with the first gen Zune 30GB? I have a couple of those laying around, so it would be nice to utilize those rather than buying another USB drive.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Sweet! That's how thought it would go, but its damn nice to get confirmation!

On another note, do you know whether the USB port on these plays nice with the first gen Zune 30GB? I have a couple of those laying around, so it would be nice to utilize those rather than buying another USB drive.

I dont know much about the USB functionality in these radios. I swapped from the 05-06 radio to the 07-08(found one for $20). originally, I wanted the USB radio but I wanted to wait until I knew the swap would work. Ive heard mixed reviews from people about what the USB drive supports. I decided against swapping again. Currently, I use an iSimple gateway which has a iPod direct line and another input for my sat radio tuner which is installed in the trunk. They do have a newer module that has Bluetooth, USB, iPod and another input for my sat radio. I think that would work best for my needs. I plan to mount the USB in the center console in front of the change cubby.

What are you doing with your old radio? I'd like to have a silver face as well. I like to swap for something different every now and then.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:55 PM

My old '06 Cobalt I swapped the non-MP3 radio out for the MP3 version. Now this '08 has the MP3 and aux jack, but didn't have the USB option. So now another OEM radio swap. I like the factory look, so I wanted to stay stock, but wanted that USB port. Hopefully it works with the Zune and/or my Galaxy phone. If not, then I'll pick up another flash drive to be a dedicated car music jukebox.

I hadn't given any thought to what I was going to do with the old radio. It would probably get put it in the garage cabinet with the silver 2 knob '06 radio. But as long as this USB one works correctly, which there's no reason it shouldn't, then I could probably get rid of the old one.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 PM

My old '06 Cobalt I swapped the non-MP3 radio out for the MP3 version. Now this '08 has the MP3 and aux jack, but didn't have the USB option. So now another OEM radio swap. I like the factory look, so I wanted to stay stock, but wanted that USB port. Hopefully it works with the Zune and/or my Galaxy phone. If not, then I'll pick up another flash drive to be a dedicated car music jukebox. I hadn't given any thought to what I was going to do with the old radio. It would probably get put it in the garage cabinet with the silver 2 knob '06 radio. But as long as this USB one works correctly, which there's no reason it shouldn't, then I could probably get rid of the old one.
I don't mind the stock radios either. The newer style is a helluva improvement over the 05-06. That's why I decided to try the swap. Name:  BCDDCFB0-7910-4074-B741-F56C6307D38D_zpsujrtvaem.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  107.7 KB Notice the DIC buttons on the dash? I did the steering wheel too and used a G6 cruise switch since I haven't figured out how to relocate the dic switches yet.... Name:  471D39D3-7CC3-4FB6-ACFB-C6058F1E0AB0_zpsk246wnrw.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  102.8 KB The steering wheel mounted DIC switches use only 1 wire while the dash mounted DIC switches use two wires. I may just have to leave it as is

Let me know if you decide to sell your silver radio. For the right price, I'm interested.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 PM

That looks pretty sweet with the marbled look. And you're right, the new style radios are way better than the old style.

Once I get the new USB radio in and test it out, I'll let ya' know on the old radio.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM

That looks pretty sweet with the marbled look. And you're right, the new style radios are way better than the old style.

Once I get the new USB radio in and test it out, I'll let ya' know on the old radio.

ok cool. and thanks! Its gray burl wood hydrodipped. I want to do a trim set in gray tiger wood too for when I have the silver radio/HVAC installed. I'm old. I think the wood trim look is classy.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 PM

I'm not big on wood trim in interiors, but that looks pretty frickin' sweet! Nice job on that.

And I'll let ya' know on the radio after this weekend. My UUI radio is getting delivered Saturday.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 PM

Cool. Thanks and good luck!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:12 PM

OK, just installed the new UUI radio. It definitely was not locked, and fired right up. But I am experiencing what I read about in other posts. The door chime is super loud now, and the radio volume is overly sensitive. With the original radio, I would set the volume to 3/4 or so when jamming out. Now with this radio, the same loudness is achieved with the volume level at about 1/4. Is there a way to correct for this? Is that something that needs to be done with a Tech 2?

And on another note, the USB does not work with my Zune 30GB or my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:09 PM

OK, just installed the new UUI radio. It definitely was not locked, and fired right up. But I am experiencing what I read about in other posts. The door chime is super loud now, and the radio volume is overly sensitive. With the original radio, I would set the volume to 3/4 or so when jamming out. Now with this radio, the same loudness is achieved with the volume level at about 1/4. Is there a way to correct for this? Is that something that needs to be done with a Tech 2? And on another note, the USB does not work with my Zune 30GB or my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.
I'm not sure about the chimes. I haven't seen anything in the tech 2 about it but then again, I haven't programmed a 9-10 radio. Is there any setting for chime volume in the radios settings menu? Maybe the dealer has a calibration file that can be applied to remedy the problem. I'm not sure how/what others have done.

As far as your loudness/sensitivity, not sure on that either. Have other people experienced the same problem? Maybe the 9-10 radios went back to a manual tech2 programming setting for amplified/non-amplified settings like the 5-6 radios were. If that's the case, and your new radio is set for a non-amplified system, that could explain the louder volume/sensitivity. You'd be amplifying and already amplified signal.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 PM

You said you had a Tech 2, right? Where abouts in Indiana are you? Maybe you could plug in and take a peak at the available settings for the radio.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 PM

You said you had a Tech 2, right? Where abouts in Indiana are you? Maybe you could plug in and take a peak at the available settings for the radio.
I live in the Angola area. It's about 45 minutes north of Fort Wayne along i69. Yep, I have a tech2. The settings available in the tech2 are quite limited though. There isn't access to anything firmware related. So far, I've only seen VIN relearning and in the 05-06 radio there's the UQ3 and UQ4 settings.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 PM

Wow, you're almost in Ohio! My sister lives in Elkhart, and you're another hour past her. Definitely too far to drive to mess with radio programming. Just sucks to have to pay the dealer $80 in programming time now. I purposely bought a new radio so I wouldn't have to go to the dealer for any programming. Damn it!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:42 PM

Wow, you're almost in Ohio! My sister lives in Elkhart, and you're another hour past her. Definitely too far to drive to mess with radio programming. Just sucks to have to pay the dealer $80 in programming time now. I purposely bought a new radio so I wouldn't have to go to the dealer for any programming. Damn it!
And there's no way to know they can do what you need done. Unless, others have said they have an updated calibration available. Have you come across any info about the issue here on the forum?
Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM

It would be helpful to know if the UQ3/UQ4 option has to be set for the late radios. Seems like that would solve the issue with the loudness. I just haven't programmed one yet. I am just off the 80-90/i69 interchange. It's far but I'd say we could work something out especially if you are wanting to part ways with your old radio. The only thing is, if the relearn/setup is identical to the 07-08 radios, my tech2 won't do you any good as it doesn't actually reflash calibrations. It just edits some features. If that's the case, it would be a wasted trip for you. For a calibration/reflash, you need access to GMs servers and an interface to load the file into the tech2
Old 11-29-2014, 04:21 PM

Searching these forums as well as other forums online, it looks like this is a common issue when swapping to a UUI radio, whether in Cobalts, HHR, Malibu, Sky. Some people have said their dealers where able to get it fixed, while others have not. Definitely don't want to pay good money to be told it didn't work. Also don't want to drive three hours to find out the Tech 2 can't do it. Guess I'll have to keep searching for a definitive answer.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:28 PM

Searching these forums as well as other forums online, it looks like this is a common issue when swapping to a UUI radio, whether in Cobalts, HHR, Malibu, Sky. Some people have said their dealers where able to get it fixed, while others have not. Definitely don't want to pay good money to be told it didn't work. Also don't want to drive three hours to find out the Tech 2 can't do it. Guess I'll have to keep searching for a definitive answer.
Good luck!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Found this in another forum. Post #53 is the important one.

Selling Cobalt USB Radio...PERHAPS - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Looks like the radio does not automatically detect whether there is an amplifier in the system or not. With it being new it was not VIN locked to another car, but it still needs to be properly setup.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Found this in another forum. Post #53 is the important one. Selling Cobalt USB Radio...PERHAPS - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum Looks like the radio does not automatically detect whether there is an amplifier in the system or not. With it being new it was not VIN locked to another car, but it still needs to be properly setup.
Interesting. So, that's something the tech2 doesn't do with the new radios. I just plugged mine back in and verified the option isn't there. The only thing I can do is a VIN relearn

Last edited by rains_crusader; 11-29-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM '08 radio swap to OEM '09 radio