Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Question about changing the radio to XM

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about changing the radio to XM

Whats up guys and girls... I'll start off by saying sorry if this question is somewhere on this forum and i haven't seen it... OK here it goes..

I have order my car with just the AM/FM, CD player... Now, if i choose not to call my dealer and have him make the change to XM ( so i dont slow dont the time of WHEN I'm going to get my car) Can the dealer AFTER I GET MY CAR, make the change for me on my radio... Plain radio to XM/CD>>>????? Also does the XM/CD also have am/fm on it also?????????

I am just trying to see what options I have and what would be the best thing to do if I want to make the change?????

Thanks guys, girls!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:32 PM

if u want XM, order it, i don't think u can get it installed at the dealer... the radio is the same unit, just programmed to receive XM, plus u'd need the XM antenna and who knows what else installed with it...
Old 01-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly did you order for the stereo? Did you get the CD/mp3 7 speaker system?

The deelar could more than likely install the XM head unit/receiver but I bet the price would be a WHOLE lot more than the option price during build time. In all of my GM cars the stock stereo system has been outstanding. If I was in your situation I dunno what I would do but in the long run I think they bit of delay would be worth it.

Also how does work the XM system? In my truck I have a kenwood head unit that cables up like a CD changer into a seperate Sirius receiver unit that sits in the back of my cab. If it's just a matter of adding the receive you might be ok. Not sure how they would do the Antenna??? I have a GPS on the dash now so having an extra gadget for XM radio would probably Suck.

I think I need those all in one DVD/NAV/XM systems that are like 1000+
Old 01-28-2005, 12:15 AM

Ok, here is the deal with the XM radio in the cobalts. The recievier is a different reciever from all the other radio option recievers. This reciever connects to a trek universal digital transmitter. From the Trek it goes to the antanna on the roof. The dealers can not install this full setup. For them to do it you have to purchase the different reciever, the Trek transmiter, and a aftermarket antanna. If you wanted to go XM after you got your car I would go to a Alpine reciever with the full digital tranmiter/reciever, and a good aftermarket antanna. This would give you digital audio all the way to you reviever (deck). I had this setup in my 04 cav and it was incredible, by the way if anyone is interested I am selling this system with amp, alpine speakers, and cables. I'm getting the XM option when my car comes in, and I don't want to play around with the install, even though I love it.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 AM

I think it might be to late....aaaaaahhh screw it.. lol i'll deal with out the XM radio... The only reason I would get is because I am a HUGE OPIE N ANTHONY Fan... I think all of us here on the East coast know who they are!! The are nuts funny as hell.....

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll see what I'm going to do.... First thing is first, my dealer getting a build date on the car, or invoice or what ever... lol...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 AM

OK... here is a second part to this question....

I went by my dealer today to show the LT to a friend of mine... And I was talking to one of the sales guys... I told him the I just order the AM/FM/CD player.... and said I should of ordered the XM instead.. He said, well thats ok.. you can ADD AN AFTER MARKET XM system to yours.. It will be a lot cheaper.... HMM?? wont that void the warrantyyy.. <(spelling) He said no... I said... well............. the radio has to have the inputs for that system.. He said he is ALMOST sure it does!.. SO here is the question...........(again)

Does the basic radio... have the inputs for the xm system to be added and controled!!!!!!???????

If anyone has info on this, or someone from with in Chevy.. Please let me know!!!

Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 AM

From the way I understand Delfi radios, you have to get a XM ready radio installed on the car in order to hook up a aftermarket reciever to it. If the radio is XM ready it is possible to connect a reciever to it, it will just take a cable from the XM reciver with a male an female connection going into the antenna connection on the back of the Delfi radio. Your regular antenna will then connect into this cable behind the radio. The only real question you should have about the Delfi radio is weather or not the standard radio has a XM band selection on it. This type of setup is called a modulator setup. I know that on the Delfi radio that is ordered with the XM on it it has a XM band selection, I just don't see how the standard radio would have this with as many different radios Delfi makes for GM
Old 02-07-2005, 01:23 PM

ok..u don't need a different head deck for XM...I have a XM recevier that just uses an empty FM channel,no mess one wire for the anntenna and one for the power...the radio does the rest.....I have the Roady 2. all wireless...I love it! and the home and car kit is very cheap...bout 130 for both..that was last summer..Im sure there now...

www.xmradio.com
Old 02-07-2005, 01:33 PM

XM Radio...

First, check with your dealer to see if they've put in your order. If they haven't change it, if they have, go aftermarket.

The best deal now (IMO) is the new one they have that you can use like an old walkman as well. I've been waiting for years for that to come out. Plug it into the car through an FM Modulator that will work with ANY AM/FM stereo, then take it out of the car and listen to it whenever.

Villain
Old 02-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Dont forget you also have to pay for XM radio (the service). I was thinking of getting going Serius (sp?) cause Howard Stern is going Satalite.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Yea, I wish Stern was goin to XM...xm is mmmuuucccchhh cheaper I only pay 9.99 a month...where as suris is like 12.99 a month..and actually I pay 6.99 cause I'm under a existing customer. but either way...they are both worth it.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had sirius in my truck. I bought a Kenwood head unit that supported sirius and got the Sirius tuner for free from bestbuy. The Sirius tuner unit is a little black box about the size of two dvd cases stack together. There is an output that goes to the head unit (simular to a CD changer ) and a input for the antenna. Works great, no extra XM or Sirius tuner on the dash...

But Sirius pissed me off.

So I bought the tuner and paid for a year of service for ~150 bux. My year was up and I got a letter saying that my service is going to get interupted blah blah (5 days after my year is up). So I try to call and it's Xmas time and I can't get anyone on the line and I won't wait on hold for more than 5 minutes. My intent is to go month to month until I get my Cobalt with XM. Finally in Jan I get to talk to someone.

I tell them my intent to go month to month. They say ok we can't help you, we need to send you to this other dept. Sit on hold for 5 minutes and say **** it I will call back again some time.

So I call back like 2 days later. The Sirius chick tells me you owe 150 dollars for this new year. I say what are you talking about ?!?! Well apparently they auto rebilled me and luckily for me my Credit Card had expired so they couldn't rebill.

So I tell them I don't want to resubscribe for a year I want to do month to month. They tell me I owe them a 75 dollar cancel fee and then I can do month to month. So in order to get it sorted out I need to go to another dept. I just hung up I am not paying those retards. I NEVER signed a contract with them and they NEVER told me they would auto rebill me. And apparently to stop the auto rebill I have to call them before the new cycle comes up. HAHA

I figure the point of a year long susbscription is I don't have to get rebilled. Anyhow they are shady and their support/bill people are useless and hard to contact. They can pound sand for all I care. They don't have my CC info and I never signed anything so I am not obligated to pay anything, unless I want to use their service again.

Don't get me wrong the idea/concept of sat. radio is great and I enjoyed the service a lot. It's just the business practices are unacceptable to me. I listen to FM now And CD's All sirius had to do was send me a nice letter before my year was up reminding me and I would have renewed. Instead they decide to just try to rebill me without my consent and now they can go **** themselves...