Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Self Dimming Rear View Mirror/need wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self Dimming Rear View Mirror/need wiring diagram

The self dimming mirror on my '06 SS 4 door sunroof car stopped working. I've looked all over for the wiring diagram of the connector so I can start troubleshooting but all I can find and all that is in my manuals is for the dome lights. Anyone have the full wiring diagram for a self-dimming mirror with dome lights, phone, on-star and emergency?
I know I have power (unless they are separate circuits, that's why I need the diagram) because the dome lights work. At this time I don't have the phone active but when I press that button it works as well (phone ready or something like that through the speakers).
Replacement mirror is proving very hard to find so if I can figure out how to fix mine I'll be happy. It suck driving at night with someone behind you.
And sorry, I did not search yet. I just thought I'd throw this out there first.
Thanks in advance for anything.
John
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
1 not to be a dick but please don't make multiple threads on the same concern.
2 Here is the diagram and connector end views. the mirror dimming system is integrated into the mirror itself. If you have power and ground then it should work, if it has both and doesn't work you need a mirror. Also make sure you don't have power on the backup lamp circuit when not in reverse. Being in reverse turns off the dimming element. Also there is a switch on the left of the onstar buttons that turns the feature on and off. Cover the photo cell and press the button to test it.

Mirror connector end view.pdf
MirrorSchematics.pdf
Mirror Description and Operation.pdf
The following users liked this post:
theandies (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. It's appreciated.

This is my son's daily driver that I've owned since new. I needed an answer ASAP as it's dangerous driving at night not being able to reduce the glare from someone behind you and I expanded my thread exposure as the Cobalt is no longer produced and I'm sure site traffic is low. I told the mods to delete and that still makes me a dick? There are more civil ways to address the multiple thread "issue" - just say'in
Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Not a problem, I was just informing for future reference. Making multiple threads isn't going to increase exposure here. It just makes it look like you expect us to help immediately. I understand your concern and I wasn't calling you a dick, I was trying not to be a dick by saying don't make multiple threads. It only clutters the site and makes more work for the mods.Traffic is not as low as you might think. Still a few of us on here daily willing to help. Imo if you don't have onstar and are having trouble finding a mirror like yours I would just get a standard cobalt mirror that flips up and down. I imagine a self dimming mirror would be hard to find or expensive.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
You knows there's a tab on nearly every vehicle's rear view mirror that lets you take the glare out of lights behind you. You push that tab and voila. You still see behind you, but it cuts down the glare significantly.

Also, this is what tinted windows are for.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
I guess each manufacture is different. Either way, you can manually move the mirror itself to do the same effect.