Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Electronics, Audio, and Video (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/)
-   -   Wiring aftermarket head unit question (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/wiring-aftermarket-head-unit-question-305905/)

hatrik8 01-11-2014 09:52 PM

Wiring aftermarket head unit question

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and didn't get what I was looking for.

I have an 06 SS/SC with the pioneer and onstar. I am trying to wire my aftermarket pioneer head unit with the metra 70-2103 wiring harness because I don't use onstar. I know there is no red for 12v ignition and have to tap in the fuse box. I also have all the speaker wires hooked up from the metra harness to my aftermarket harness (white, white/black, purple, purple/black, green, green/black, grey, grey/black)

Now I am still missing illumination (orange/white) and amp turn on (blue/white) off of my aftermarket wiring. Where do I tap into these?

How do I connect the stock amp and sub?

There are also two plugs on the back of the stock radio. What do I do with the other smaller plug?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

iToastie 01-11-2014 10:11 PM

The smaller plug just dangles in there. I was confused as to what the hell it was for, but it didn't affect me at all.

Also I didn't have to tape anything to the fuse box, everything was in the harness.

I used PAC C2R-GM11B though. Not the Metra. Not sure why they'd be different.

hatrik8 01-12-2014 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by iToastie (Post 7246321)
The smaller plug just dangles in there. I was confused as to what the hell it was for, but it didn't affect me at all.

Also I didn't have to tape anything to the fuse box, everything was in the harness.

I used PAC C2R-GM11B though. Not the Metra. Not sure why they'd be different.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm assuming you don't have the same stock radio as I do or the wiring kit you bought is entirely different. I bought the cheap metra kit because I don't use onstar or xm. I just want my aftermarket headunit to get connected to my stock sub

EmperorJJ1 01-12-2014 03:57 AM

the mini plug is the wires for the stock xm. no need for anything aftermarket so just dangle as iToastie said. Since you went with the cheap metra harness illumination isnt an option. so all you have is the remote needed to turn on the amp and power all 7 speakers in the car. If there is no remote wire in the metra harness or its not actively leading to a wire you want to look for a pink wire and test to see if this is the stock amp turn on. if it is connect the remote from the pioneer to that and ur done

hatrik8 01-12-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1 (Post 7246479)
the mini plug is the wires for the stock xm. no need for anything aftermarket so just dangle as iToastie said. Since you went with the cheap metra harness illumination isnt an option. so all you have is the remote needed to turn on the amp and power all 7 speakers in the car. If there is no remote wire in the metra harness or its not actively leading to a wire you want to look for a pink wire and test to see if this is the stock amp turn on. if it is connect the remote from the pioneer to that and ur done

Thanks for the info

So is the pink wire on the stock harness? I can just tap it?

Any idea what the wires on the mini plug for the xm are for?

EmperorJJ1 01-12-2014 01:31 PM

you should be able to yes but you want to test first just in case. if i remember correctly theres 2 pink wires i dont remember if it was in my 06 or it was the newer 07+

they are to transfer signal from the xm tuner box on the rear deck, which is only usable with the stock radio

hatrik8 01-12-2014 11:20 PM

Well I got everything wired up ok and it works but can't get the damn radio all the way in the dash. What's the deal? It's a single din. Seems like the dash is very shallow...

cbrenly09 01-13-2014 01:31 PM

I had to cut out some plastic and a metel bar in the dash to get my single din alpine to fit

hatrik8 01-13-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by cbrenly09 (Post 7247510)
I had to cut out some plastic and a metel bar in the dash to get my single din alpine to fit

I just read about that on crutchfield. They say radios deeper than 6 5/8" need the support structure for the stock radio to be hacksawed out.

iToastie 01-13-2014 01:50 PM

Mine probably can't even fit a penny between the back of the radio and the piece behind it. I just had to keep moving the wires around until I finally could push it back enough

blueLNFftw 01-13-2014 02:00 PM

I took a dremel to it and cut out the support.

Gelladuga69 01-13-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by iToastie (Post 7247522)
Mine probably can't even fit a penny between the back of the radio and the piece behind it. I just had to keep moving the wires around until I finally could push it back enough

If you're really determined to not cut anything, just do this.

I did this with my Pioneer Double and the fat OnStar harness boxes with an HD tuner all in the stock radio space. It's doable.

EmperorJJ1 01-13-2014 04:23 PM

the plastic must be cut. the metal unbolts using either 7mm or 10m. using my 1/4 in ratchet and the right socket it took a few minutes to remove

cbrenly09 01-19-2014 12:27 PM

I wish I would have looked closer but was tired of messing with it.