Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/forced-induction-50/)
-   -   Garrett officially lists Cobalt kit on their web site (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/forced-induction-50/garrett-officially-lists-cobalt-kit-their-web-site-41076/)

Halfcent 12-17-2006 12:56 AM

Garrett officially lists Cobalt kit on their web site

The Garrett Turbo charging kit for the L61 Cobalt.

I'm reading the downloadable instuctions for the site right now.

senior_brown 12-17-2006 01:20 AM

cool, theres something real sweet for the 2.2 guys n gals out here

NJHK 12-17-2006 01:21 AM

What are they using for tuning though?

diablo2007 12-17-2006 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
What are they using for tuning though?

when you read their instalation instructions it just says you reflash it with what they provide and your good to go. i dont know how efficient that would be thought

tricky1 12-17-2006 01:26 AM

Either reflash with included stuff, or send in ECU for flashing...I'm wondering how much this is going to cost now...

halfj99 12-17-2006 01:28 AM

32. Reflash Engine Control Module (ECM) – If the electronics kit contains the LiveWire
reflash device, plug the device into the OBDII port to upload the new calibration. Early
releases of the product require the engine control module (ECM) be sent in for reflash.
See separate enclosed instructions if applicable.

id count on it being in the 4-5grand range

Halfcent 12-17-2006 01:37 AM

OK, I just sent my guy at Honeywell that hooked me with the SEMA media kit on the package a nice long email asking all the question you are probably asking yourself right now. Here ya go:

Hello Kyle!

Thank you again for sending me the Garrett SEMA show pics of the Cobalt turbo kit. I’ve noticed that Garrett has updated the web site and is now officially listing the turbo kit for the L61 Cobalt! Very exciting stuff. I have LOTS of question for you, and if you don’t mind, would like to list your responses on the CobaltSS.net Web board.

First, the full kit has a name of “Alpha”. Would that be similar to a “stage 1”, and could we expect a “beta” with upgraded performance numbers?

Which car EXACTLY will the kit fit? Coupe and Sedan? Manual and Automatic? 2005 model year through the present? Obviously it will fit the L61’s as opposed to the LSJ’s or LE5’s.

Prices? Retailers?

MOST importantly, the tuning! I see the instructions indicate that a core ECM will have to be shipped to Honeywell for a reflash, and later kits may come with a LiveWire reflash device. This issue alone comes with several of its own questions.

The E16a computer in this car was something of a mystery to the tuning world ever since it’s release in the Saturn Ion in 2003. I have to assume you have successfully cracked it and are able to program it with a 2 BAR (or greater) operating system?

The 2007 model year has a new E37 ECM in it. Do you support it as well?

I notice in the instructions that you do not replace the cars MAP sensor. I was under the impression the stock MAP sensor in a one BAR only device. How do you get it to work with the kit? Especially since you have been able to retain the returnless fuel system.

What exactly is the LiveWire reflash device? (I’m going to do a little looking myself)

And finally, how tuner friendly is the system? I for one have a fully built powertrain that is safely capable of up to 400 ft/lbs of torque. I would be that guy that would want to turn the boost up as much as possible.

Thank you so much for you time and I look forward to your response! Merry Christmas!

-Geoff Halfpenny, CobaltSS.net Moderator.

NJHK 12-17-2006 01:38 AM

Hurray for the halfpenny!

biohazard 12-17-2006 01:44 AM

Geoff is ur last name rlly halfpenny or was that a jk

NJHK 12-17-2006 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by biohazard
Geoff is ur last name rlly halfpenny or was that a jk

It really is

Joewit 12-17-2006 01:46 AM

Sounds like good news for the 2.2 guys. Halfpenny that made me laugh sorry

Halfcent 12-17-2006 01:51 AM

Where do you all think I got Halfcent from? I write "1/2¢" on all of my sports stuff instead of intials. Halfpenny is a traditional British name. So if Geoff actually. A true Brit would read my name off a page and pronounce it "Joffrey Haypenny". But I've got the bastardized American version.

I have just sent an email to http://www.sctflash.com/. They are the company providing the LiveWire reflash. I'll let you know what I learn.

I have also updated Bill Hahn on all of this stuff too. He actually already knows since he was at SEMA right next to the Garrett booth, but the listing on the web site is new since then.

tricky1 12-17-2006 01:51 AM

Halfpenny, Haha

http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/al.../i-lold001.jpg

*ahem*excuse me for that outburst

nramlow2006 12-17-2006 01:52 AM

fuckin right im so stoked...

Pyros777 12-17-2006 01:58 AM

Thanks a ton for reaching out and trying to get this info for us 1/2¢. I know a few local L61's that will be very grateful to know whatever you find out. :twothumbs

celicacobalt 12-17-2006 10:19 PM

this is awesome, i bet it would fit my 2.4 and i could just use hp tuners to tune it to my specs. ill give hahn one more month to see what they put out then i might just have to go with garrett.

Cobalt5533 12-17-2006 11:05 PM

we're one step closer to the turbo 2.2!!! but the way i understand it i could buy the base kit, install it , strap on a BOV and i'd be good to go ? or i would need more ?
/end hijack

Halfcent 12-18-2006 01:56 AM

edited/deleted a bunch of off-topic posts. Stay on topic please.

nomoreavril 12-18-2006 02:06 AM

sweet. i've always wanted 200 hp n/a but after thinking about it i'm still tempted to go turbo! but i still wouldnt want a monster...small/medium amount of boost and thats it

zinner 12-18-2006 07:50 PM

I noticed they just yanked the info about the Alpha kit with the ECU tuning off the site.

Halfcent 12-18-2006 09:35 PM

Yup, I JUST got an email from Kyle at Honeywell, let me read it. The first thing he mentioned was how they removed the site!

halfj99 12-18-2006 09:40 PM

hurry! lol

Halfcent 12-18-2006 09:42 PM

Hello Geoff,

I’ve included the answers within the body of the email in an attempt to address each of your questions.

You have no doubt noticed that currently the Garrett Cobalt Alpha Turbo Kit is no longer listed on the site. Don’t worry, it will return soon.

If there are any other questions, please let me know. If I don’t hear from you, have a great holiday and a happy new year!

Regards,
Kyle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, Kyles responses are in Bold:

First, the full kit has a name of “Alpha”. Would that be similar to a “stage 1”, and could we expect a “beta” with upgraded performance numbers?
We currently have no plans to develop an upgrade kit for the Alpha kit. The turbo itself is upgradeable as the GT2860RS is outline interchangeable with the GT2871R (up to 475 HP capability). There is also the option of turning up the boost on the actuator. As you know, various parts within the Ecotec engine find ways to separate themselves from the rest of the functioning unit once certain horsepower levels are attained. We wanted to make a kit that wouldn’t require someone checking the GM Build Book and swapping internals in order for it to function as a worry-free unit.

Which car EXACTLY will the kit fit? Coupe and Sedan? Manual and Automatic? 2005 model year through the present? Obviously it will fit the L61’s as opposed to the LSJ’s or LE5’s.
2.2L Cobalt Coupe & Sedan, manual transmission, 2005 & 2006

Prices? Retailers?
The Garrett Essentials kit (MSRP $1899.99), Garrett Essentials Plus kit (MSRP $2299.99) and the Garrett GT Tuner kit (MSRP $3199.99) are all available through Garrett Performance Distributors and will shortly be available through www.TurboByGarrett.com directly.

MOST importantly, the tuning! I see the instructions indicate that a core ECM will have to be shipped to Honeywell for a reflash, and later kits may come with a LiveWire reflash device. This issue alone comes with several of its own questions.

The E16a computer in this car was something of a mystery to the tuning world ever since it’s release in the Saturn Ion in 2003. I have to assume you have successfully cracked it and are able to program it with a 2 BAR (or greater) operating system?
Yes, that is correct.

The 2007 model year has a new E37 ECM in it. Do you support it as well?
No, only 2005 & 2006. The hardware might fit but we have not confirmed this application. We will be looking into the E37 as well, but cannot commit at this time.

I notice in the instructions that you do not replace the cars MAP sensor. I was under the impression the stock MAP sensor in a one BAR only device. How do you get it to work with the kit? Especially since you have been able to retain the returnless fuel system.
The stock map sensor does only go to one bar; however, our reflash solution does not need MAP to make the returnless fuel system function properly.

What exactly is the LiveWire reflash device? (I’m going to do a little looking myself)
I’ll save you some trouble and attach the flyer that was handed out at the SEMA Show. The Cobalt is not listed and SCT was commissioned directly to develop the system for this kit.
(side note, See SCT link below)

And finally, how tuner friendly is the system? I for one have a fully built powertrain that is safely capable of up to 400 ft/lbs of torque. I would be that guy that would want to turn the boost up as much as possible.
Upgrade to a GT2871R and you can easily go to 400hp and contact SCT for a custom tuning solution beyond about 300 hp. They have gotten this far with the tuning, I’m sure that they would be happy to help you reach your horsepower goals!
------------------------------------------
The GT2860RS
The GT2871R <--- There are three different versions.
SCT Live wire <--- The .pdf that Kyle sent is basically the same stuff on the site

3fo893013L 12-18-2006 09:53 PM

Another words it sounds like a hacked up tune they created and even with just "bolting" on this system doesn't offer safeguards nor does it allow for future expanding for HP. They sound like they just *made* something real quick to out in public but don't plan on additional support unless you go thru the inital tuning manufacturer.

Don't get too excited. Just because they made a tune doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Look at Intense tunes. Each car will act differently and EVERYTHING that is system vitals would have to be monitored closely.

Halfcent 12-18-2006 09:59 PM

I really don't know. I can tell you that SCT has not returned my email. I even posted in their forum and no reply. They might have seen me asking and called Garrett to say "Hey, people are asking us about this thing that we don't have done yet!" But that's just a guess.