Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/forced-induction-50/)
-   -   supercharger making loud noises at idle! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/forced-induction-50/supercharger-making-loud-noises-idle-176452/)

Jimmys2007CobaltSS/C 06-18-2009 05:56 PM

supercharger making loud noises at idle!

Ok guys how hard is it to take of the blower? AT idle the eaton is really loud and noisy and its getting annoying. Someone on the srtforums told me that hes pretty sure that i have a bad coupler and i think he might be right. I pop the hood and watch the belt spin and the the tensior and the belt on the s/c looks loose as shit. Is the bad cupler my issue as o dont want to get a new blower as i found a deal on another one if i have to.

Gene Culley 06-18-2009 09:58 PM

You just have to remove the belt and 4 bolts for the SC....

ShortStack 06-19-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja (Post 4020075)
what does a coupler have to do with your blower or tensioner? a coupler is the rubberish piece that holds your intake together.

also the SC is very easy to get off...but good luck getting the belt on :lol:

Are you serious?

The coupler is inside the supercharger, It transfers motion from the shaft to the rotors... Please refrain from giving advice if youre not entirely sure what your talking about.

Also, what type of noise is it?

Squeaking or like marbles in a can type of thing?

Gene Culley 06-19-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja (Post 4020075)
what does a coupler have to do with your blower or tensioner? a coupler is the rubberish piece that holds your intake together.

also the SC is very easy to get off...but good luck getting the belt on :lol:

Yes, the coupler is in the SC and does make noise if going bad or is bad.

You mention that belt, lol. Hearing of the belt issue scared me so much that I got the pulley boys tension relief tool and the LSJ engine lift bracket (for the tension relief tool to work) so that should be a snap now!

Champ_ 06-19-2009 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=IonNinja;4022183]yes I am...and I was entirely sure what I was talking about. :lol: I just happened to be wrong... :lol:

coupler

http://www.hawaiiracing.com/shop_ima...a4c47a496f.jpg

Couplers are used for many things....

Sachemhockey44 06-19-2009 09:34 PM

sooo waht your saying is the coupler in my supercharger is bad if it sounds like marbles in a can at idle...beacuse mine does that and itll go away randomly too... sounds like shit when it happens tho, is it bad that its been like that for a while now, and is it hard to replace the coupler by yourself??

IonNinja 06-19-2009 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Champ_ (Post 4022199)

yes I found that out after a short google search lol

i'll go ahead and delete my posts now :cool:

Sachemhockey44 06-19-2009 09:41 PM

my car at idles sometijmes sounds like a can of marbles, is this the coupler??? also is this bad if its been happing for about a year now?? , and is this hard to change??

camaromanss1992 06-19-2009 09:41 PM

i had the same problem and it was my belt tensioner. The tensioner is the shock like object that keeps the belt tight, if you can wiggle it its bad.

nicksredline 06-21-2009 01:03 AM

there are tones of problems lol... posssable causes... timing chain tensinor( has a technical service bullitin out on this), belt tensinor, S/C coupler(internal) not hard to change... make sure u get some sc oil because at least on my gtp i lost some.( good idea to change while ur in there anyhow)

ShortStack 06-21-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja (Post 4022209)
yes I found that out after a short google search lol

i'll go ahead and delete my posts now :cool:

Lol sorry i Felt like i came off rude with that...

I forget about the whole internet / sarcasm boundaries.. :lol:

chevysssc 07-17-2009 11:21 PM

check the oil

jthomas9 08-20-2009 03:04 PM

How much does the coupler replacement usually cost on these superchargers?

falke401 08-20-2009 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jthomas9 (Post 4232369)

Im pretty sure the parts are reasonably cheap if you do it yourself. If you pay someone to do it, im sure you will pay out the ass for it.

Jn2 08-20-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jthomas9 (Post 4232369)

very cheap...

https://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt...=813&catid=143
https://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt...ts1.php?id=841

shouldnt take more than 30 mins to do the swap...good luck...

northvibe 08-20-2009 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=Champ_;4022199]

Originally Posted by IonNinja (Post 4022183)
yes I am...and I was entirely sure what I was talking about. :lol: I just happened to be wrong... :lol:

coupler

http://www.hawaiiracing.com/shop_ima...a4c47a496f.jpg

deff not the coupler thats in the SC... but a coupler none the less.

Yes its cheap to do the maintenance on the SC and not hard. wow zzp's kit is very cheap. Magnuson also is the only Eaton blower certified repairer and sells a kit as well.

jthomas9 08-20-2009 08:38 PM

Is it bad if I do not fix this problem? I bought my 06 cobalt ss/sc used from carmax w/ there warranty. I will check to see if its covered then I will have it repaired, if not then I will jus wait it out until I get more cash. I am a colleg student & I do not have much time to really get involved in my cobalt like I really want. Plus I want to get a new head unit from pioneer before I start changing anything under the hood. I appreciate the help.

JHans5774 09-07-2009 08:27 PM

Will the dealership not cover it under the warranty?

ShortStack 09-08-2009 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jthomas9 (Post 4233391)
Is it bad if I do not fix this problem? I bought my 06 cobalt ss/sc used from carmax w/ there warranty. I will check to see if its covered then I will have it repaired, if not then I will jus wait it out until I get more cash. I am a colleg student & I do not have much time to really get involved in my cobalt like I really want. Plus I want to get a new head unit from pioneer before I start changing anything under the hood. I appreciate the help.

Okay, so you know something is broken, but you are wondering if its bad if you dont fix it?

Use some common sense man.

You can end up needing to spend hundreds on a new supercharger....

ironhorse33 09-22-2009 01:32 AM

eaton supercharger

Originally Posted by JHans5774 (Post 4281146)
Will the dealership not cover it under the warranty?

hi there new to the site trying to see if anyone has had one of the m62 s'chargers apart...changed the front bearings yesterday...got ride of the whine..but now you can hear the rattling from the blower itself...think its the bearings in the blower...anyone changed them?

jrocstar 09-24-2009 12:16 PM

okay the supercharger apart is dumb easy. Its a few bolts and thats basically it. The rotors int he casing have a roller bearing design in the back and the front where the coupler meshes with the rotor gears has bearings. You would be suprised what the coupler will do when it looks good but is not. But take the rotors out look at them for contact check the casing for contact if either exist wither brearings are bad or the supercharger its self may be bad depending on the extent of the damage. My advise either pull it apart and inspect it or run it till it blows and put a turbo on it.