Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

trying to decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying to decide

well to start of hey im cody im new to this site i just bought an 05 chevy cobalt ss. and i was trying to decide witch would be best for me. If i should just add on to my supercharger or swap it for a turbo. I want power but im kinda new to car stuff. Ive been more into motorcycles i just sold my R1 for my cobalt. I would like to know alittle more about the supercharger and turbo i understand that the supercharger gets power where the turbo does not i have done alittle research on it but i would honestly like other outlooks on it to help me make a decision. I really want fast acceleration for more straight line kinda races but i still want some all around performance. please help thank you
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You will get a lot more thorough information from others on the site, but I follow and know enough to get you some basic stuff.

For biggest power, people say turbo swap.
For bigg(ER) and still significant power, upgrade to TVS supercharger rather than M62.
For good power (still potentially 300+), upgrade current setup.

Welcome, by the way. You'll end up loving the **** outta this car. Most of the people on here are crazy helpful, and the build forums are way helpful too. once it's time to start mods i'll recommend getting used to the search functino tho, these guys will troll the **** out of you if they catch you asking questions without searching first lol.

car pics?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Olybaltss
You will get a lot more thorough information from others on the site, but I follow and know enough to get you some basic stuff.

For biggest power, people say turbo swap.
For bigg(ER) and still significant power, upgrade to TVS supercharger rather than M62.
For good power (still potentially 300+), upgrade current setup.

Welcome, by the way. You'll end up loving the **** outta this car. Most of the people on here are crazy helpful, and the build forums are way helpful too. once it's time to start mods i'll recommend getting used to the search functino tho, these guys will troll the **** out of you if they catch you asking questions without searching first lol.

car pics?
thank you Olybaltss thats what i was looking for
Ill make sure i look into it on this site more but i was wanting more of an involved Q and A kind of thing rather than reading into other peoples stuff.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:18 PM

but its just a stock red cobalt i just got it like 2 months ago lol all i have done to its is put a double din in and a cold air intake lol
Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
It all depends on how deep your pockets are, go check out the dyno and drag times threads to get an idea of what other memebers have done.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM

I would recommend doing something like this:

ZZPerformance - ZZP Cobalt Stage 3 kit #ZZ-STG3K-CBT

Cheap, easy, affordable, and reliable. ZZP are one of the most well known companies out there for our cars. Enjoy.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 PM

thanks alot guys im also looking at the tvs
there are build fourms on here correct? somthing to kinda go by to see what i should alsput in my car besides just the s/c
Old 11-27-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
yeah, if you have the 2.0 LSJ S/C motor, go to the LSJ performance tech forum, and they have threads that go into crazy detail about what and how they're doing things, as well as why. i'm at about the same stage as you, i've just been reading the hell out of what these guys post and that's where i've learned almost everything about our cars
Old 11-27-2013, 02:12 PM

Welcome, the LSJ is a great motor and there's lots of info around here for a mild dd build up to full on race motors. If you're new to modding I would stick with the sc for a while, there's all sorts you can do to it, and learn in the process.
Best advice is to just start reading through threads.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Do you have E85 gas readily available near you?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by idunn
Do you have E85 gas readily available near you?
No I don't have any e85 near me that I know of
And thanks guys I've been reading through I like the stage 3 idea I just need to do a little more research on witch options I should pick and such for the zzp package
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Disposable-Hero
Welcome, the LSJ is a great motor and there's lots of info around here for a mild dd build up to full on race motors. If you're new to modding I would stick with the sc for a while, there's all sorts you can do to it, and learn in the process.
Best advice is to just start reading through threads.
Thank you! And thank you for the advice I think that is what I'm going to do
I'm wanting somthing fast but not a full on racing motor lol
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by pocketsinhandz
No I don't have any e85 near me that I know of
And thanks guys I've been reading through I like the stage 3 idea I just need to do a little more research on witch options I should pick and such for the zzp package
I would definitely go that route for now, ~$500 for a significant performance increase. It should hold you over for awhile while you do more research and find out what/if any long term builds you wanna go.