Front Page News Site Polls

Cobalt Performance Parts... 2.2 Auto love

Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Get low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt Performance Parts... 2.2 Auto love

As some of you guys know, our buddy Scott hooked me up with a prototype front transmission mount for the automatic 2.2 balts. I tested this mount for about a week and fell in love with it(loved it from day one though).

Construction:
-Factory bushing housing(mount body) painted a nice silver
-Fully solid red polyurathane insert / bushing

Feel:
-Much more responcive
-Firmer shifts
-Shifts feel alittle quicker
-Nice rumble of the car to the sound of the motor (not ratteling)

Ease of installation:
-Direct fit
-install time is roughly only 1-1.5 hour(s) for a first timer

Practicality for every day use:
I drive my car roughly 60-70 miles per day on highway, cities, stoplights, potholes, rain, intense heat, almost anything, i drive through it and i beat the **** out of this mount. This mount is great, it gives the car a slight vibration but a good one, not a dash rattle or anything. My car use to actully rattle especially at stops in D on the brake... I put this new mount in and it stopped all of the ratteling. Turns out my mount that had only 21K on is was all worn out, it wase loose and the webbing had tares in it.

My old mount was alowing the motor to shift too much and rattle against other components..... here is a vid of my car being shifted through the gears and revved. Sory for the bad quality. If you notice the motor does not shift around at all where as the stock one would allow the motor to move like crazy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsSsX-olAy0
This is deffinatly a very practical mount for a daily driver

Performance:
One of the best mods i think ive ever done. My car is on the contenentals in these vids and it still hooks up good.... ON AIRBAGS!!! these wheels should be hopping like crazy but they jus spin from the extra power being transfered to the wheels rather then out through the trans torquing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8grS1j7CDE
I also did a little burn out, i couldnt light em up a whole lot because they were sticky, i just got home from my 45 mins drive from school.... but for hot tires they spun p[retty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruwae1YI5Oc

I strongly reccomend this modification, its a very powerful mod and doesnt require much to instlal it. The car is alot peppier, smoother, and more responciive
Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice and thorough review

i have a question as well.....i will be pushing the 4t45e to its limits (around 260TQ) in the future...now will this mod help improve the life of my tranny, or wear it down faster as it doesnt get to accept the energy over as long a period of time (as it rocks on the stock mounts)?

it really sounds like somehting i would want to do
also, what tools are needed to install this?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:16 AM

Props on the detailed review! This looks great. Any word on a public release date and/or price?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:36 AM

looking good, a nice how to on this would be great. im assuming the 2.4 auto can use these as well right?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Get low

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
i have a question as well.....i will be pushing the 4t45e to its limits (around 260TQ) in the future...now will this mod help improve the life of my tranny, or wear it down faster as it doesnt get to accept the energy over as long a period of time (as it rocks on the stock mounts)?
also, what tools are needed to install this?
Very good question, i would assume it would help.... because yes it will be more rigid and stay in place but with the stock mounts it would slam into place.... it would give but then be stressed. Eather way the trans will feel the Tq. along with the output shafts to the wheels but the mount will keep it from moving around, and make it alot more comfortable for the driver too.

Only tools needed are a jack, 2 jackstands(deppending how low your car is, and a 1/2' drive ratchet set. I know you would assume breaker bar but these bolts are easy to remove, if you wwant reassurance use a breaker bar for reinstall, just be careful i dont know the torque spec on these

Originally Posted by kkanowitz
Props on the detailed review! This looks great. Any word on a public release date and/or price?
i dont know for sure, i know its probably some time soon, and that there will be a core charge to save some $$..... Ill see if Scott can chime in

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
looking good, a nice how to on this would be great. im assuming the 2.4 auto can use these as well right?
Ya it hit me afterwards but i forgot to get pics to make a howto, Hackabuse is testing it too maybe hell make one. Its pretty simple, lift the car up, support the motor, remove like4/5 bolts, and pull the mount then reverse it. Simple R&R. I dont know much about the 2.4s so i dont wanna give the wrong info, once again ill have scott chime in

Last edited by biohazard; 05-04-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 AM

The steps for the 2.4 should be pretty much exactly the same. As far as a release date we are looking at less then a month. Price is still to be determined. We are negotiating prices for materials and labor. We are going to have two different versions available. One already in the mount (core charge) and one with just a bushing. The reason we are going to offer both is due to the fact that the bushing is very hard to get into the mount. I have one more test unit that is suppose to be here next week where we slimed down a few spots in the bushing to see if we can make it more user friendly so you guys can do it on your own.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 PM

how much are they?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by Brianhardcore
how much are they?
Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
Price is still to be determined. We are negotiating prices for materials and labor.

Last edited by biohazard; 05-04-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

Good Review Sam.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Cool.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Get low

Originally Posted by TCarter
Good Review Sam.
thank you kind sir
Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 PM

I'm sure the shitty stock trans mounts breaking within 30k miles is under warranty... Just thinking about it.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by biohazard
Very good question, i would assume it would help.... because yes it will be more rigid and stay in place but with the stock mounts it would slam into place.... it would give but then be stressed. Eather way the trans will feel the Tq. along with the output shafts to the wheels but the mount will keep it from moving around, and make it alot more comfortable for the driver too.
what im worried about is if the transmission would normally be accepting 260tq over say .5 seconds while the transmission rocks one way, then back, it would be making 52tq/.1 sec, whereas the mounts reducing the rocking would mean the tranny is accepting closer to 130tq/.1 sec.

i might be totally wrong, but i'm just trying to avoid buying a new transmission for my cobalt within 2 years (hopefully atleast 5-6 years when i sell it)

im also thinking of it based on my physics class....the transmission will recieve W work over T time, so reducing T time will increase the Power exerted on the transmission since W/T=P

i also understand what your saying though bio...i should probably just ask halfcent
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet review. Can't wait to get one of these as well as the B&M AutoShift Plus for my trans
Old 05-14-2007, 09:01 PM

I like your sig Biniecki.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. I didn't make it tho. Vic Ramano (spelling?) made it for me. He had a thread in the picture section and had a list of people sign up. Kinda like what customSS did but no one has heard from him in awhile so vic started it back up.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:53 PM

does my trans mount look like its breaking pic in my gallery
Old 05-19-2007, 05:01 PM

I hope this comes out soon. i need a better trany mount
Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Almost there guys hang in tight. Hopefully mid next week we can start rolling the fronts out to you and have some pricing.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Update: Rear mounts are done and ready. BIo and hack our two outside test candidates will be getting them shortly. Pricing will be done on both mounts tonight. Pre-orders can start later today.

We are now taking pre orders! The picture is just generic for now. They are press in style bushings for both front and rear.

Cobalt Performance Parts Poly Auto tranny Bushings

Last edited by CobaltPerformanceParts; 08-07-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2007, 07:37 AM

very interested...would have to wait a few months though want to hear from some people who installed it themselves also
Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 PM

I'm interested in this. Even from a non performance point of view keeping the tranny stable could help to extend its life.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 AM

They both have the fronts installed. The rears are in shipping to them still. Should be this week sometime that they get them.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM

So what is the difference between the front and rear mounts? The two that you sent me are exactly the same?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 PM

They are the same. We just had to test out the rears. Make sure that no adjustments needed to be done. We where able to simplify them and make them identical. Make sure you lube them up good when you go to press them in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobalt Performance Parts... 2.2 Auto love