Front Page News Site Polls

ITS OFFICIAL 1.3 million cobalts to be recalled!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so to let everybody know the biggest meet of the year is at your local dealership
Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darren Orange
Hey,

Does anyone know if they will fix damage that caused as result of an outage? It caused me to nail a curb, damage my rim, break my control arm bushings and it broke both sides of my sway bar mount bushings, and it bent my frame according to a chevy dealer as result of the power steering going out. It's great they are going to replace the motors but what about the other stuff as result of this issue? My car can't be perfectly aligned anymore, it always pulls to the right now even with alignment.
Possible, especially if you had it repaired out of pocket and have paperwork to document everything. It would be especially helpful if it was fixed at the dealer and they noted the cause as being from a power steering failure on the service invoice. In that case you should have a very good case and probably and easy claim. If you haven't done so already it might benefit you to go to the NHTSA's web page and file a formal complaint and make sure to note there was an accident as the result.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to make a post in the "Official Thread" about this:

Talked to my g/f who works for a dealership in Bel Air, MD. She said the "recall" is NOT in their system yet eventhough it's been announced. One possible reason is this: It won't be in their system until GM has the parts available.

And yes, I've been having this problem for a while. I've only had the car a year. It's happened once in a while where steering (Even at a full stop) has been extremely difficult to do. The steering wheel had a TON of resistance on it. Then it moved to every couple of days, first thing in the morning, I'd start it up and sometimes even let it warm up before I tried the steering wheel, it would be them same. NOW it's been like everyday, throughout the day, It would be very hard to turn.

I can't recall of it ever happening whlie driving though.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Glad my 26 year old Oldsmobile doesn't have half the problems these things do.. lol

I just wish they'd do something for the rattling steering column.. Apparently that's far fro ma secluded item..
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird
Possible, especially if you had it repaired out of pocket and have paperwork to document everything. It would be especially helpful if it was fixed at the dealer and they noted the cause as being from a power steering failure on the service invoice. In that case you should have a very good case and probably and easy claim. If you haven't done so already it might benefit you to go to the NHTSA's web page and file a formal complaint and make sure to note there was an accident as the result.
Hey BlackBird,

Thanks! I did the control arms, because without them not being broken anything close to alignment is not possible. However the frame damage and rim damage as well as sway bar issue I did not fix, as the costs are huge to try to repair the frame. Which btw, the frame bends but the rim just gets a scuff and doesn't blow the tire? These cars are pretty weak. I'm not sure on having the paper work for the control arms, but if they can make my car whole again, it won't be so bad eating that cost. I'll submit my complaint.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy

I just wish they'd do something for the rattling steering column.. Apparently that's far fro ma secluded item..
They do...problem is they replace it with the same one. No improvements other than the fact that it's new.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:43 PM

So much for your friggin' loyalty, there Cobalt driver.

GM/Chevy was on the up and up and immediately took measures to tackle this issue. The minute you forget your car is anything beyond plastic, metal, and rubber, is the instant you should start taking a bus.

Safety recalls are part and parcel to producing MILLIONS of automobiles.

So much for GM making a comeback?

That's your conclusion?

Go drive a Prius, *****.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by rtdowney
That's your conclusion?

Go drive a Prius, *****.
come on now i dont think he has a death wish!! dont you watch the news!!! lol
Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM

mine went out really early, bought the car new and at only 800 miles it started acting up, glad I had warranty, dealership said I'd have to pay $2,500 if my 3,000 miles warranty expired, this problem was addressed long before this went viral. Heres a youtube link where this guy made a video to get a recall done, apparently they signed a big petition to get the recall.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1eLyWNFO6s
Old 03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Jn2

Got the Vin breakpoint of 2010 models NOT affected...n some more recent details...will post when I get home...don't want to type it on my phone...
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JL-KA
They do...problem is they replace it with the same one. No improvements other than the fact that it's new.
So if you go in complaining of a bumping steering column they will actually replace it for free..? What if I'm out of warranty? If it's a recalled item, warranty won't matter..
Old 03-04-2010, 06:22 PM

I just had mine fixed for this last week...but I'm pretty sure they didn't replace the motor. I believe they replaced a module because they said it was pulling too many amps.

I would make a turn and a few seconds after that, my POWER STEERING light would turn on, the steering wheel would click, and it would be extremely hard to fix. I haven't had a problem since and they fixed it free of charge, 8400 miles on my car.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM

i called my local dealership only to find out they knew nothing about it and they said they have to wait till a service bulitin is out before they can do anything i just bought my car about a week ago this wouldnt have stopped me from buying a cobalt tho
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by edmbaltss
i called my local dealership only to find out they knew nothing about it and they said they have to wait till a service bulitin is out before they can do anything i just bought my car about a week ago this wouldnt have stopped me from buying a cobalt tho
Yeah, I talked to the service manager of the dealer I tend to go to, and he said that internally, it is just listed as "PENDING" in their system. From what I've been hearing, GM has yet to find a solution for this, so they'll have to redesign the power steering motor.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Jn2

got some updated info your dealer wont have:

05-10 cobalt
07-10 g5
05-06 g4
05-06 pursuit

Root cause: power steering motor
Revised power steering motors went into production late 2/2010

cobalt NOT affected by this pending recall:
-2010 automatic after a7186588
-2010 manual after a7187135

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Vehicles outside of the bumper 2 bumper warranty, cost of repair will be the responsibility of the customer

-Reimbursement can be requested once the recall is issued and the customer was notified by mail IF the concern the customer is experiencing is the same as described in the bulletin:
1. vehicle steering is still controllable
2. loss of power steering assist is noticeable only under 15mph
3. "power steering" warning lamp will illuminate
4. chime will sound to alert the customer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For consideration of full or partial reimbursement, the diagnosis and the repair MUST be performed at a GM dealership(if vehicle has not already been repaired),, repairs at independant facilities may no tbe fully reimbrused if the charges are more than a normal and customary repair cost incurred had the repair been performed at a GM dealer

thats pretty must the most up to date info i have at the moment, its constantly changing tho, was revised twice today to add the info i just posted, will try and keep you guys up to date...i typed it all by hand bc i cannot access the info from home, only work, and css is not available on work comp...but i like how it mentions a bulletin that has not been released yet :p
Old 03-05-2010, 01:54 AM

so lemme get this straight, even though i dont have a warranty, they are gona replace it for free??? another question,, this "replacement" power steering unit,, is it the same slab of **** that's causin the problem in the first place, or did they make an improved one to put in.... cuz uh, why replace junk with,,,,,,junk......
Old 03-05-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DSmastery
so once i get this letter, i will have a total of 3 recall letters hahaha
1. for the stock cat (dont care not stock)
2. MRA modular reservoir assembly, stating do to operating in areas with warm weather(Cali) haha, may have a condition in which the plastic supply or return port may crack
3. the electric power steering one

whos got the 1st two as well?
i have a 06 ss sc
Yup I got the fuel thing and the Cat thing. I need to dig them up and file them with my other car paperwork
Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jn2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Vehicles outside of the bumper 2 bumper warranty, cost of repair will be the responsibility of the customer

:p
you have got to be shitting me
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Sub'd for later.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Apparently I am not covered as I have a 2007 Cobalt SS which is not part of the recall. Only 05-10 Cobalt Base and 08-10 Cobalt SS

My powersteering is off more than it is on. I hate turning the car off and on all the time while driving.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by badbaltguy
so lemme get this straight, even though i dont have a warranty, they are gona replace it for free??? another question,, this "replacement" power steering unit,, is it the same slab of **** that's causin the problem in the first place, or did they make an improved one to put in.... cuz uh, why replace junk with,,,,,,junk......
they are making improved ones. thats why there is no stock yet
Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
So if you go in complaining of a bumping steering column they will actually replace it for free..? What if I'm out of warranty? If it's a recalled item, warranty won't matter..
Dude you said rattling not bump steer
Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM

ok so i just got done talking to gm service and told me that 1. its a recall and if you have aftermarket parts that do not affect the power steering then you will be fine 2. if your car is over the warranty you still will be fine because it is a fault of gm. also because the announcement has not been releasred publicly i.e getting a letter stating your car is recall they will not have the parts at the dealership until then we will have to wait because i want my **** fixed for free
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 PM

will they send letters to the people that are on the recall????
in that case since i have a ss/sc 05 and by gregory 923 statement; i'm out. right?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

I called GM today they told me that if. I have a GM dealership check the power steering in my car (Something I have to pay for). I can then call them back and the district manager will see about the possibility of as a courtesy provide me with a repair.

I filled a complaint with the NHTSA about my 2007 having the same issues and hopefully people on here will do the same. IMO SS cars its a bigger deal I can't even really speed cuz I don't want to be surprised with not power assist on turns. SUCKS ASS!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/03/n...er-steering-f/

Proof that there are other automakers also under the scrutiny of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration: The Chevrolet Cobalt is under federal investigation for steering-related safety issues. To date, the NHTSA has reported 1,132 consumer complaints about a sudden loss of power steering in 2005-09 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2008-09 Chevrolet Cobalt SS models. While a loss of steering assist should not immediately lead to a crash, consumers have reported "difficulty controlling the vehicle, such as departing from the desired travel lane."

The NHTSA has recorded 11 crashes and one injury attributed to the power steering failure, with potentially 905,000 vehicles affected by the investigation. There have been no deaths reported. "We are cooperating with the agency in the investigation," said GM. The automaker will replace the Cobalt with the Chevrolet Cruze for the 2011 model year.

Quick Reply: ITS OFFICIAL 1.3 million cobalts to be recalled!!!