Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy - Hypermiling (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-165/)
-   -   Aceatone in fuel? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-165/aceatone-fuel-214923/)

insylem 05-13-2010 12:41 AM

Aceatone in fuel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAUs...1&feature=fvwp

What does everyone think?

chris88z24 05-13-2010 12:42 AM

Scam.

Seafoam for routine maintenance, if anything.

Killa702 05-13-2010 12:43 AM

wtf?? lol never herd of this, doesnt seem right..

fakameanrepresent 05-13-2010 09:10 AM

its a scam, no prove on DOUBLE the gas mileage.

4g63 05-13-2010 11:34 AM

They did that on Mythbusters and lost about 5mpg. Something to do with the acetone making the fuel evaporate faster.

buellfooll 05-13-2010 11:57 AM

Reading Wikipedia, acetones low flash point MIGHT cause an EFFECTIVE increase in spark advance in engines with little advance to begin with. It MIGHT also act as a powerful injector cleaner and MAYBE combustion chamber decarbonizer. WAY too many MIGHTS and MAYBES for my money. But I DID learn how to make a powerful explosive using acetone and another compound. I think I now know what the underwear bomber was using and what the New York city, would be, bomber was getting ready to brew up. VERY interesting what you can learn by doing a little research.

rmay635703 08-02-2010 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll (Post 4928204)
Reading Wikipedia, acetones low flash point MIGHT cause an EFFECTIVE increase in spark advance in engines with little advance to begin with. It MIGHT also act as a powerful injector cleaner and MAYBE combustion chamber decarbonizer. .

I've used acetone on and off many times in many different vehicles, if you have a wideband you will see plainly that acetone DEFINATELY alters timing, O2 and a variety of sensors.

100% pure Acetone is only about $2 a bottle at wallands beauty center.

However it doesn't usually pay for itself, it works well as an injector cleaner and is in fact in some OTC injector cleaners.

Also IT DOES have a mileage effect but it can be positive or negative, also I've noticed it DOES have a positive effect on WINTER fuel economy in my now retired 98 buick lesabre, but not really enough to justify using it. The only way to know if it works for you would be to test the 1 to 3oz per 10 gallon of gas and see what happens, if it causes you to lean out you might gain a couple MPG.

A more effective mileage booster is napatlene which is already in your gas to improve burn and timing characteristics, more napathlene added REALLLY (12oz to 4gal) increases gas mileage and makes your tailpipe cool to the touch, sadly the stuff is deadly and difficult to safely powder and mix in gas. It can also clog your gas filter if you don't powder and mix it or if you try and use it at very low temperatures. Lots of nap was in WWII gasoline because thats all we had, only about 1.5% is in there now, really makes the timing swing back before TDC.

Cheers
Ryan

YesYestotheSS 02-08-2012 09:12 PM

anyone else notice the cat hop out the trunk...

alerosaint 02-08-2012 09:18 PM

lol yeah that was weird

chris88z24 02-09-2012 06:13 PM

If it was true then everyone would be doing it. Kind of like how blowing your load in a girl with a condom on prevents pregnancies yet feels OH SO GOOD

Paul79UF 02-09-2012 07:33 PM

I did some experimenting with acetone in the gas tank on a Toyota Corolla and my old '01 Grand Prix.

Never saw a difference. Total waste of time & money.

KnightSS/TC 02-09-2012 07:44 PM

I would never...........ever attempt this. Wouldn't even know where to begin fatheming a mixture % / formula :lol:

bratboy90 02-09-2012 07:54 PM

I added pure 100% acetone to my 1999 GMC Jimmy. VERY SLIGHT AMOUNT. I gained 4mpg. All it does is make the gas upon being sprayed into the cylinder, it evaporated, which should increase the combustion ability. Stopped doing it, because no one knows what the long term effect is to the gas lines. It is completely and extremely flammable tho.

YesYestotheSS 02-09-2012 11:19 PM

im glad im not the only who saw the cat lmao

Blowncavy 02-09-2012 11:32 PM

I have witnesed a few people do this

Leafydialupking 02-11-2012 01:46 PM

It evaporates too fast. it'll come right out of the gas in a couple days. The best octane booster you can buy at the hardware store is toulene, I've done that once when someone put half a tank of 87 in my car, it got a gallon of toulene poured in.