Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Hypermiling

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hypermiling

Good start for learning about hypermiling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling
Old 06-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never understand they say to brake softly to save gas. How does braking use gas? Or do they mean if you brake you will eventually have to accelerate again and that is where you use more gas?

Anyone?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 PM

I guess it means the less you slow down the less you have to speed up. For example, if your coming up on a red light, instead of speeding up to it and then hitting your brakes (slowing down a lot) and then immeadiatly taking off again, you slowly coast from a distance so that when it turns green youl still be going somewhat fast and not have to use as much gas to get up to speed. It will also save your brake pads.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dispute
I guess it means the less you slow down the less you have to speed up. For example, if your coming up on a red light, instead of speeding up to it and then hitting your brakes (slowing down a lot) and then immeadiatly taking off again, you slowly coast from a distance so that when it turns green youl still be going somewhat fast and not have to use as much gas to get up to speed. It will also save your brake pads.
Yah thats what I thought, it's not directly the brakes, it's accelerating again after using them.

The other downside I've read and it would be obvious to most people is that if you overinflate your tires, you will get uneven treadwear. So yes, you save money on gas, but what about tires...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 AM

The trick i used when i can is pop it into neutral when i am going down hill and can coast with out loseing speed or when coming up to a stoplight/sign. Just doing those things brought me from 26-28 in town to consistant 30-31mpg.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Helltime
The trick i used when i can is pop it into neutral when i am going down hill and can coast with out loseing speed or when coming up to a stoplight/sign. Just doing those things brought me from 26-28 in town to consistant 30-31mpg.
putting it in neutral is worse than leaving it in gear. when you leave the car in gear and are off the gas you are getting better gas mileage than coasting in neutral. you got better gas mileage because you were trying to. and i guarantee that if you leave it in gear and coast, you will get even better mileage than you do now.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
putting it in neutral is worse than leaving it in gear. when you leave the car in gear and are off the gas you are getting better gas mileage than coasting in neutral. you got better gas mileage because you were trying to. and i guarantee that if you leave it in gear and coast, you will get even better mileage than you do now.
Even though when i am coasting i am running about 500-1000 rpms less or more (depending if i am on highway or not). I doubt it, the only diff in my driving was the coasting, on acceleration i still drive it like i stole it
Old 06-27-2008, 03:18 AM
Banned

it's actually illegal in some states to coast in N on hills.. but the problem with this technique is the ******** behind you blowing their horn or arrogantly passing you cause your not getting to the light fast enough for them which really pisses me off...
Old 06-27-2008, 03:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
Depends on the situation Kev

Injectors only close coming from a higher rev range so say you are revving down from 3k, yeah, until about 1.5k the inj open again.

Then you pop it into neutral.

Mix of both FTW
Old 06-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
but the problem with this technique is the ******** behind you blowing their horn or arrogantly passing you cause your not getting to the light fast enough for them which really pisses me off...
who cares if they pass you, it's there problem not yours
Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Banned

it's dangerous cause at first they tail gate you like no tomorrow
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let them hit you, let them pass you.

Or ifyou are that worried about it, don't coast down a hill in neutral
Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

dangerous for them...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:47 AM

*keeps his mouth shut about a certain member*

Some good ideas for sure tho, but nothing really new. More common sense than anything.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 AM

its pretty easy to get good milage. but the people that shut off there cars when driving are nothing more the grade A *******. When a 2.2L cobalt or a Fit or any other small car can be driven to near hybrid levels then something is wrong.

there are the standard ways to save gas, drive slower, keep your speed (stop less), check your PSI in your tires, remove the "junk in the trunk", don't run A/C unless you HAVE to, keep windows up or crack them when driving, etc. etc. Then there are the "frog hairs" and extremes, getting a thinner oil, narrow tires, replace glass, carbon fiber bits, lighter wheels, lowering, tape the joints of the car/make it slicker, keep the car clean and smooth, ECU work, intake and exhaust, etc. etc.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mss26
I never understand they say to brake softly to save gas. How does braking use gas? Or do they mean if you brake you will eventually have to accelerate again and that is where you use more gas?

Anyone?
The braking isn't saving the fuel, its the not hitting the gas thats saving fuel. Basically people that fly up to lights then slam on the brakes will be using more fuel than people coasting up to lights. As an added effect by coasting a lot of time by the time you get to the light it will be green again and you won't have to stop then accelerate again.

Basically just conserve your kinetic energy as much as possible to obtain higher energy efficiency.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by steddy2112

Let them hit you, let them pass you.

Or ifyou are that worried about it, don't coast down a hill in neutral
i never coast down a hill in neutral and why would i want them to hit me and ruin my bumper???
Old 06-27-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Even though when i am coasting i am running about 500-1000 rpms less or more (depending if i am on highway or not). I doubt it, the only diff in my driving was the coasting, on acceleration i still drive it like i stole it
You get better gas mileage when coasting IN gear then when in Nuetral. While in gear your car will actually shut off the injectors and use kinetic energy to keep the car running. When you put the car in Nuetral the car has to keep the injectors flowing so the car doesn't die. Fuel cutoff settings for the coblat are I believe: Fuel cutoff turns on at above 36 mph and 1750 rpms (which means fuel cut off will be enabled if you take your foot off the gas. Have you ever noticed that when you take your foot off the gas the car kind of jerks? This is fuel cut off at work.) and turns off (injectors start flowing again) at under 18 mph and under 1250 rpms. Those might be a little off I would have to check the setting in HPTuners again to verify, but they are close enough.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
it's actually illegal in some states to coast in N on hills.. but the problem with this technique is the ******** behind you blowing their horn or arrogantly passing you cause your not getting to the light fast enough for them which really pisses me off...
You have to understand when i do this i mean on a hill or i am usually over the speed limit anyways I don't hold up traffic because nothing gets my blood boiling quicker than some ******* going under the speed limit, especially in the fast lane or when you get 2 side by side The places i do it you usually accelerate when in N cuz of the down hill anyways. How are the cops going to tell if i am in Neutral or gear? I have a 5 speed and my windows are tinted, there is no way they can tell.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 PM

neutral costing is retarded, dangerous, stupid, not to mention illegal in many places.

it also uses MORE gas than downshifting properly

whoever taught you to do it, please slap them in the head.

if you dont believe me, google something called "Decelleration Fuel Cut Off"

Last edited by an0malous; 06-27-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
neutral costing is retarded, dangerous, stupid, not to mention illegal in many places.

it also uses MORE gas than downshifting properly

whoever taught you to do it, please slap them in the head.

if you dont believe me, google something called "Decelleration Fuel Cut Off"
How is it dangerous?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:53 PM

How is it dangerous?
If you car was to slip into gear by accident..
Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DeftonesFan867
If you car was to slip into gear by accident..
? How is that going to happen? I have a manual, its not like the shifter can just be bumped into Reverse.

Anyways i just research some of this stuff, i guess i will go back to what i was doing (not coasting or anything) and see if there is a difference.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by an0malous
don't you mean "shutting off engine while running"?

neutral still has your engine running so you still have steering and brakes, no real difference than when in gear
Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 PM

no. neutral costing.
whatever.
you kids know best. im sick of arguing this one over and over. its been done many times.
whoever taught all you kids to drive should be ashamed.
******* pathetic.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling