Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   General Cobalt (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/)
-   -   Best 1/4 mile time in a stock ls (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/best-1-4-mile-time-stock-ls-5059/)

tiny 08-27-2005 01:50 PM

Best 1/4 mile time in a stock ls

im wonderin what the best is from anyone on this site so i know what to shoot for
i got 16.6 @85 with a 2.4 60ft, with a 100 lb system in there

olddude 08-27-2005 02:42 PM

shoot for lowering that 60' time. If you can knock that down to a 2.2, I bet you will drop almost 4 tenths at the top end.

wikkymaster 08-27-2005 03:33 PM

hmm im also wondering this

tiny 08-27-2005 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by olddude
shoot for lowering that 60' time. If you can knock that down to a 2.2, I bet you will drop almost 4 tenths at the top end.

yea, i was runnin stock tire pressure, plus the car was at 1000 miles, still a baby, its more broken in now (also my 1st time to the track with a manual)
if i lower the tire pressure im sure i could hit a 2.2

the point of this thread was to see what the lowest time was
i was gonna submit my time to www.car-stats.com but i threw out my slips

Florida 76 08-27-2005 11:26 PM

i beat a auto 2000 V8 mustang in 1st and 2nd gear... but he smoked me when i hit 3rd... sorry no 1/4 mile time it was a street race..

_

hatrickstu 08-28-2005 02:13 AM

ok good times considering thats as fast or faster than most the other people with SS's are running. i am thinking you are new to drag racing because of your tire comment. just a little bit of advice:

lowering the tire pressure is going to give very minimal advantage, in fact in might even hurt you. there is a reason that chevrolet and other car manufacturers give a recommended tire pressure, because it is the point at which the tire will have the best traction. why would a company tell you numbers that would give you bad traction? kinda the same deal when people do the huge smoky burnouts with street tires, thats stupid as shit, why overheat tires that are meant to have best traction at normal operating temperature? the only thing that needs to be done for a good launch is to warm the tires slightly and get the dirt off with a short little burnout, i dont even ebrake it on my SS. Just a little bit of common sense knowledge there. If you dont believe me look at my times compared to other peoples times on here, so far i have the fastest 1/8 mile times and MPH. just curious though, what rpm are you launching at?

Shermen 08-28-2005 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Florida 76
i beat a auto 2000 V8 mustang in 1st and 2nd gear... but he smoked me when i hit 3rd... sorry no 1/4 mile time it was a street race..

_

sorry but no way unless he/she wasnt floring it. i cant even do that in my ss

co-yellow-balt 08-28-2005 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shermen
sorry but no way unless he/she wasnt floring it. i cant even do that in my ss

sure ya could, sticks have the advantages over autos in the start unless ur going against a supercharged/turbo automatic....then its a different story but off the line yea its possible. i mean ive beaten one off the line like he mentioned...your SS would be able to hang with it in 3rd...or maybe even beat it...

:cssNET:

Shermen 08-28-2005 03:10 AM

um off the line the auto would be no faster nor slower than a stick (unless the driver of the stick didnt know how to drive) they both start in first gear. they both are not moving. they can both do rev starts and the V-8 would have the avantage over the 4 cylinder.

co-yellow-balt 08-28-2005 01:01 PM

um off the line the auto would be no faster nor slower than a stick (unless the driver of the stick didnt know how to drive) they both start in first gear. they both are not moving. they can both do rev starts and the V-8 would have the avantage over the 4 cylinder.

No shit but their both at a dead stop not moving. lol ok the v8 is more powerful, yes but ITS POSSIBLE to get a good launch and take the mustang in 1st and 2nd. and if u have no doubt in it then u obviously dont know how to drive...cuz ur SS could easily take it prolly to 3rd or 4th

tiny 08-28-2005 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
ok good times considering thats as fast or faster than most the other people with SS's are running. i am thinking you are new to drag racing because of your tire comment. just a little bit of advice:

lowering the tire pressure is going to give very minimal advantage, in fact in might even hurt you. there is a reason that chevrolet and other car manufacturers give a recommended tire pressure, because it is the point at which the tire will have the best traction. why would a company tell you numbers that would give you bad traction? kinda the same deal when people do the huge smoky burnouts with street tires, thats stupid as shit, why overheat tires that are meant to have best traction at normal operating temperature? the only thing that needs to be done for a good launch is to warm the tires slightly and get the dirt off with a short little burnout, i dont even ebrake it on my SS. Just a little bit of common sense knowledge there. If you dont believe me look at my times compared to other peoples times on here, so far i have the fastest 1/8 mile times and MPH. just curious though, what rpm are you launching at?

i thought lowering your tire pressure a by 5-10 psi gave you better traction
it makes the tire more square and give you more surface contact area, which is better traction

the reason chevy rates tires at 35 psi is because it gives you better gas mileage, prolongs tire wear, and not to mention they dont want every1 racing in their new cars

my friend in his alero couldnt beat a 16.9 (Auto 4 cyl)
he dropped his tire pressure 5 psi and got a 16.8

all my friends that drag drop their 60 foot my .2 by lowering tire pressure

and my best run was when i didnt launch, i did a normal start to get goin then gunned it
...which was also my first run ever

97cavie24ls 08-28-2005 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by co-yellow-balt
sure ya could, sticks have the advantages over autos in the start unless ur going against a supercharged/turbo automatic....then its a different story but off the line yea its possible. i mean ive beaten one off the line like he mentioned...your SS would be able to hang with it in 3rd...or maybe even beat it...

:cssNET:

thats so f'n funny its pathetic

my cav auto has killed alot of manulas off the line , only reason the autos dont get the same 60fts is the drag from trans

co-yellow-balt 08-28-2005 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 97cavie24ls
thats so f'n funny its pathetic

my cav auto has killed alot of manulas off the line , only reason the autos dont get the same 60fts is the drag from trans

no whats funny is that u prolly beat like a 1990 Sunbird stick. or something cuz u wouldnt be able to take most sticks off the line. and if u think so u must be retarded. whats so pathetic about it anyways...? dont hate on cobalts when ur driving a cavaliar and in a cobalt forum. peaceeeeeeee

Shermen 08-28-2005 10:20 PM

no whats funny is that u prolly beat like a 1990 Sunbird stick. or something cuz u wouldnt be able to take most sticks off the line. and if u think so u must be retarded. whats so pathetic about it anyways...? dont hate on cobalts when ur driving a cavaliar and in a cobalt forum. peaceeeeeeee

I said it once ill say it again a stick does not have the advantage off the line. they both start in 1st gear. making them not that mutch different. but on the shilt the stick would pull away. (unless auto has more power thuss the mustang thing that me and co-yellow-balt were discussing ^ )

tiny 08-29-2005 12:13 AM

I said it once ill say it again a stick does not have the advantage off the line. they both start in 1st gear. making them not that mutch different. but on the shilt the stick would pull away. (unless auto has more power thuss the mustang thing that me and co-yellow-balt were discussing ^ )

wrong
automatic and manual have different gearing
and manual usually has the advantage off the line because of the power to launch
launching an auto is tough, esp on the street, and if the car is stock, there isnt much to do

in my experiences, manual cars get the jump on automatics

my friends raced one time
94 geo metro (5 spd) vs 3000gt (auto)
the metro pulled ahead in first gear, then got smoked

TOMMAX 08-29-2005 01:33 AM

He has forced induction on his cavalier.

Florida 76 08-29-2005 02:45 AM

about Auto's being as fast as a manual is bull.... tell me why a manual can spinn the tires in 1st and 2nd and chirp them in third

you cant spinn the tires in a auto
the ony way you can maby spinn the tires in a auto is if you break stand... or neural drop :lol: but i think new cars cant be netural-droped any more

tiny 08-29-2005 09:33 AM

about Auto's being as fast as a manual is bull.... tell me why a manual can spinn the tires in 1st and 2nd and chirp them in third

you cant spinn the tires in a auto
the ony way you can maby spinn the tires in a auto is if you break stand... or neural drop :lol: but i think new cars cant be netural-droped any more

my friend has a 12 second auto z28, if you floor it, it goes sideways
he also chirps into 2nd and 3rd, with an auto!

co-yellow-balt 08-29-2005 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by tiny
wrong
automatic and manual have different gearing
and manual usually has the advantage off the line because of the power to launch
launching an auto is tough, esp on the street, and if the car is stock, there isnt much to do

in my experiences, manual cars get the jump on automatics

my friends raced one time
94 geo metro (5 spd) vs 3000gt (auto)
the metro pulled ahead in first gear, then got smoked

THANK you

god this moron actually thinks a v8 auto mustang would get a better launchh then a Cobalt SS or LS stick, lol no way. the gearing is totally different, unless it was an SVT mustang then its a different story cuz those cars are pretty nuts.

tiny 08-31-2005 06:48 PM

ok people, back on track

fastest time you got in a cobalt LS

codyss 09-01-2005 12:05 AM

Actually a SVT Cobra has a terrible launch due to wheel hop from the IRS.

And Auto or Manual can performa the same, gearing is what makes the difference. Especially in FWD cars where the auto transmission usually has a really high 1st gear.

When it comes to torque happy V8's a auto can usually pull better 60ft times. I have had a 6-Speed LS1 and a Auto LS1, the auto was faster off the line. But from certian roll speeds the auto is at a disadvantage due to less gear choices.

As for Mustangs I have had some of those too, and they can launch pretty good with traction due to the flimsy 4 link set up.

Domtar 09-01-2005 12:11 AM

A friend of me took his cobalt ls coupe to the drag and he did 15,8!

Florida 76 09-01-2005 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by tiny
ok people, back on track

LOL... sorry dude didnt mean to hijack your thread :)

_

co-yellow-balt 09-01-2005 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Domtar

niiiice, was it stock?

tiny 09-01-2005 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Domtar

were you there?
that seems really low, did he put DR's on it, and any mods??

LOL... sorry dude didnt mean to hijack your thread :)

_

no problem, it was a good discussion, but im still wondering why there are 8000 non Sc owners on here, and i seem to be the only one who's been to the track :mad: