Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   General Cobalt (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/)
-   -   Car alarm question, please help! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/car-alarm-question-please-help-202264/)

Stevo 01-22-2010 07:17 PM

Car alarm question, please help!

Ok so both of my keyless entry remotes do not work. My question is if I arm the alarm by hitting the lock button on my doors and then using the key to get it, will it set off the alarm and/or will I be able to deactivate the alarm by putting the key in the ignition?? Thanks!

Stamina 01-23-2010 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 4624244)
Ok so both of my keyless entry remotes do not work. My question is if I arm the alarm by hitting the lock button on my doors and then using the key to get it, will it set off the alarm and/or will I be able to deactivate the alarm by putting the key in the ignition?? Thanks!

No, because using the lock button on the doors does not arm the system. Only the remotes activate the alarm. You can then either use the remotes or use your key to unlock it, but the alarm will not go off because it was never armed.

When you use the remotes, you'll see the lock icon by the tach stay solid for a while and then start flashing every few seconds once it's armed. This doesn't happen when you use the lock button or lock it manually. It will either ding at you and wait a few seconds after both doors are shut and then lock, or lock immediately, depending on your settings you programmed.

Stevo 01-23-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4624921)
No, because using the lock button on the doors does not arm the system. Only the remotes activate the alarm. You can then either use the remotes or use your key to unlock it, but the alarm will not go off because it was never armed.

When you use the remotes, you'll see the lock icon by the tach stay solid for a while and then start flashing every few seconds once it's armed. This doesn't happen when you use the lock button or lock it manually. It will either ding at you and wait a few seconds after both doors are shut and then lock, or lock immediately, depending on your settings you programmed.

oh sweet, I thought when you hit the lock the button on the door and it dinged and flashed the lock by the tach it meant it was armed, thanks!

Stamina 01-23-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 4625213)
oh sweet, I thought when you hit the lock the button on the door and it dinged and flashed the lock by the tach it meant it was armed, thanks!

Mine doesn't flash the lock light when I use the door button. It only does it when I use the remote and a door's still open.

I may be wrong about that part though. I'll check on it next time I'm out. The bottom line is no on the alarm question though.

insylem 01-23-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 4624244)

I tried that before. My car freaks out and honk honk honk honk honk honk and wont shut up.

Stamina 01-23-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4625558)
Mine doesn't flash the lock light when I use the door button. It only does it when I use the remote and a door's still open.

I may be wrong about that part though. I'll check on it next time I'm out. The bottom line is no on the alarm question though.

Update: I started wondering, so I ran out and checked. This is correct. ^

You won't get a flashing light when you use the door button. It'll just lock the door(s) (either with a delay or not after you shut the doors, depending on your settings).

It will quickly flash the light when you use the remote with the door(s) open. When you shut the door(s) it will then lock the doors, with or without the delay, and the light will go solid (stating you've got a grace period to get back in the car manually until the alarm arms, like if you forgot something in there), and then will begin slowly flashing once the alarm is armed.

Stevo 01-23-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4625609)
Update: I started wondering, so I ran out and checked. This is correct. ^

You won't get a flashing light when you use the door button. It'll just lock the door(s) (either with a delay or not after you shut the doors, depending on your settings).

It will quickly flash the light when you use the remote with the door(s) open. When you shut the door(s) it will then lock the doors, with or without the delay, and the light will go solid (stating you've got a grace period to get back in the car manually until the alarm arms, like if you forgot something in there), and then will begin slowly flashing once the alarm is armed.

All right cool, I just gotta wait a few days till I can get a new remote so I was just wondering what my options were gonna be haha. Thanks man!